Pre-Workout Supplements VS Black Coffee?

Options
I hear a lot about pre-workout supplements. Is there any validity to them or are they just hype? From what I can tell, from a friend who has bought and tried some (I think it was C4 or something like that) He says he just feels jittery and his heart speeds up. To me that sounds like caffeine and something I can get from just plain black coffee that I drink every morning. Is there any difference between the two or is there something actually special about pre-workouts? I was looking into one called Pre-Gains.

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Hype
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    They typically have more than just caffeine in them, but yeah, its just a bunch of stimulants for the most part.

I use one because I go to the gym pretty early in the morning and don't have time to wait for coffee to cool to drinkable levels. (I don't really enjoy cold coffee, I've tried that too.)

So I use a pre-workout. If I ever get to where I'm not working out so early, I'll probably stop using it.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    most of the effect comes from caffeine. sometimes they add other supplements that can give a tingly feeling, such as Beta Alanine. A lot of them contain creatine or BCAAs too.

I find that stuff is not so useful, it doesnt matter what time of day you take creatine so I just have plain creatine after dinner. BCAAs arent needed if you are getting your overall protein intake.

A cup of coffee does me just fine and can help amp me up for a workout if I'm not feeling it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I think pre and post workout supplements are marketing hype...
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I get more results from creatine; however, I will only use it prior to a competitive run because I have an autoimmune disease and my kidneys don't function quite to normal standards.
    I usually drink coffee before my Saturday morning workouts, but not the evening ones. TBH, my workout depends more on my daily diet than anything else.
  • Chenry18
    Chenry18 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I take a supplement that has creatine in it and it helps.
  • sumthingood
    sumthingood Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Interesting.. The caffeine content is significant in supplements but nothing more than what you get with coffee and taking daily vitiman supplements.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i like coffee.

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of c4 better than black coffee. That's the biggest reason I use it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Most of them are caffeine and simple carbs.........coffee and a banana will, for the most part, do the same thing for you. My pre-workout is coffee.
    Chenry18 wrote: »
    I take a supplement that has creatine in it and it helps.

Specifically? If you're eating enough red meat you probably don't need it and with so many of these supplements being made offshore and not being subject to any form of regulation you don't know what you're ingesting.....

usp.org/meetings-courses/workshops/adulteration-and-fraud-food-ingredients-and-dietary-supplements-attend-two-key-learning-events

webmd.com/men/creatine

• Dillzies
    Dillzies Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you've never used pre workout how are you going to answer the mans question? Pre workout makes you bullet proof, proven fact. You WILL lift more weight for more reps EASIER. This is true. However, with great power comes great responsibility, it is easy to get carried away because you feel bullet proof, easy to injure yourself because not as in tune with your body
  • frantzcr
    frantzcr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The one I take has BCAAs and creatine to help muscle recovery and growth. I like it. Coffee gives me..bathroom needs. Pre workouts don't and I appreciate that when I'm mid-squat. Hope this helps.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Dillzies wrote: »
    If you've never used pre workout how are you going to answer the mans question? Pre workout makes you bullet proof, proven fact. You WILL lift more weight for more reps EASIER. This is true. However, with great power comes great responsibility, it is easy to get carried away because you feel bullet proof, easy to injure yourself because not as in tune with your body

new-lol-gifs.gif
  • RobertM2040
    RobertM2040 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Coffee and a dump.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Coffee and a banana.
  • YeaYeaPueblo
    YeaYeaPueblo Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like vega pre-workout. It's plant based, so feels more like a couple of cups of maté. I run long distances though, and black coffee wreaks havoc on my GI when running. I definitely need the mental focus to get going sometimes, pre-workout does just that! That's my two cents!
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    black coffee wreaks havoc on my GI when running.

I've had this issue too. The acidic nature of black coffee mixed with my stomach acid gives me heart burn or some fantastic vurps. I do eat something before the gym to calm it down but it's still there. :D
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Dillzies wrote: »

Dom Mazzetti much? :p

*GnarPump!*