What footwear do you use when exercising?

Options
I have really sore feet and am having trouble finding inexpensive footwear for my exercising and light jogging. Can anyone recommend a particular brand or style that offers arch and heal (impact) support? Any comments would be very much appreciate ... thanks :)

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Inexpensive and high-quality are not usually synonymous. Furthermore, everyone's feet and gait are different, so what works for one person here might not work for you. For example, due to my feet's supination/slight hindfoot varus (basically I walk with a bit too much pressure on the outsides of my feet - some people do the opposite on the insides of their feet, which is called overpronation), I need what's called a "neutral" shoe with minimal support to run comfortably, and my feet work best in one specific type of Mizuno running shoes or in Nike Frees.

If you're having pain and soreness, you'll probably want to go to a running store (not a general sporting goods store) and have one of the salespeople there help you find a shoe that works with your specific feet/stride and that will work for the kind of exercise you do. They'll usually have you walk/run on a treadmill to look at your gait and then have you try different shoes to make sure you have the right fit for you and the exercise that you do.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    For squats: squat shoes (adidas powerlifts)

for deadlifts, every other lift, running and other cardio, minimalist running shoes with a flat noncushioned sole.

you may consider cushioned running shoes for running. but a non-cushioned, hard sole is important for deadlifts.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    ^ this. Don't skimp on shoes. (Bliss is finding Saucony on sale.)
    But I don't wear running shoes for all of my exercise. I wear weight lifting shoes for weight lifting and no shoes at all in dance and yoga class and ballroom dance shoes for ballroom and line dancing.
  • pvju
    pvju Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I just switched to Teva's for my hiking, walking and cardio at the gym due to feet issues - they're working out just fine, but I don't jog - not sure on that. You can find them on Amazon at drastically lower prices than at stores - I think I paid $36. I made sure to get the kind with arch support as some Teva shoes don't have that. My friend found Saucony sneakers on sale on Amazon for $30! So you could potentially find a nice running shoe there too.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Asics for cardio, Chuck Taylors for lifting
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Brooks for running. Chucks for lifting. (@singingflutelady, i wear my running shoes on the bench for better grip for leg drive)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells at home, nothing, Walking Asics, Running, Nike Pegasus 32
  • ErynVee
    ErynVee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing New Balance, and was fitted for New Balance W1080 shoes previously, but need to be fitted for a new pair. If you're going to run at all, it's always a good idea to be fitted at a running store so you can get something that is right for your feet. I have to be very particular because I have flat, wide feet, and tend to run with my weight on the outside. If I get the wrong shoes and try to run with them, my feet burn and my knees hurt.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Barefoot or wrestling shoes for lifting.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It depend on the exercise.
    Inov8s for trail running
    New balance for road running
    Bare feet for swimming ;)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Barefoot for calisthenics. Flip flops for walking outside (or barefoot, if I'm doing a Walk at Home video). I hate shoes ;)
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Brooks adrenaline GTS. Love them, best support ever!
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Barefoot for calisthenics. Flip flops for walking outside (or barefoot, if I'm doing a Walk at Home video). I hate shoes ;)

Same. Barefoot for all home workouts.
  • FitStrongHealthy
    FitStrongHealthy Posts: 220 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I wear my Vibrams for both running and lifting
  • thomasgarcia7
    thomasgarcia7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I usually work out in running Nike shoes, unless it's leg day that's when I bust out the chucks!
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I just wear whatever running shoes I find comfortable, as long as they are nike. I have never heard of people needing special weightlifting shoes or gym shoes or whatever. I think my running shoes now were actually made for basketball lol.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I like Merrell minimalist shoes for the gym and walking.

Nike Free Flyknits for running.

• happyhelenr
    happyhelenr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for your input - some really helpful advice. I have done some research too, more into about finding a healing option for my issue (plantar faciitis) and have found something that may help me (and anyone else out there who suffers from the same or similar issue)..... I wanted to share with you all....... thanks again :)

http://kingbrand.com/Foot-Home.php?REF=1094PV126.391
  • sramirez1988
    sramirez1988 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    VIBES 5toes skeleton shoes. I tried all kinds of shoes ... These are the Best shoes I have owned! I have been working out for about 25 yrs now.. My left leg and knees use to hurt after a workout, I also had soar/ ache back.. I no longer have those issues! I wear them to run,walk,zumba,run,and weightlifting. You can find them on Amazon. Oh, I also have flat feet..