Beef Jerky

Options
Do you think home made beef jerky is healthy? No carbs and no fat? Anyone have recipes?

Replies

• calbadger
    calbadger Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I think that its a great idea. Probably much better and far cheaper than the commercial stuff as well. I've been wanting to make some for a while, but haven't. Maybe this weekend. If I do, I'll let you know my results.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Zero fat beef jerky? Is that even possible?
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    If you make you can use soda as a flavoring. So good!!!
  • calbadger
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't think it's zero fat, but its pretty much zero carbs, unless you make it teriyaki style or something.
  • calbadger
    Options
    If you have a smoker, this one looks interesting:

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Sriracha-Beef-Jerky-1281939
  • mdleastbeast
    mdleastbeast Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm sure here has to be a extra lean meat that you could use instead of any other type of steak.. Maybe?
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I loveeeee beef jerky but it causes my breath to be horrible so I abstain :(
  • Mountainbum777
    Mountainbum777 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Any steak will do, buy in bulk when on sale cause once it's dried it's not much. You can pretty much make any marinade your imagination can come up with. My sis has a food dryer and makes some amazing jerky.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Im just about to make my 6th batch. I've been making terriyaki and spicy terriyaki. Its quite easy, just takes a little time. To get less fat you can cut off the visible fat you see but you cant get it all. From my experience you get about 1/2 of the orriginal starting amount. So for example my new batch is about 6lbs of raw meat so i will be ending with about 3lbs of jerky. The meats on sale in my area which is why i am making a big batch only 22$ for the 6lbs.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I like the jerky as a protein source rather for a snack. After a tough workout i eat like 4oz of it and get like 40g of protein its been working. here is the recipe i started with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0BGTmLf3ho
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Turkey jerky but watch the sodium
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I love homemade jerky! It's really hard to find beef jerky made using sustainably-raised meat, so I pretty much have to make it at home. Making it myself means that I get to season it however I want, though, so I'm happy to make it.

I usually use flank steak. I freeze it for an hour to make it easier to cut, and then slice it with the grain as thin as I can get it. Next, I marinade it in whatever I feel like (usually a mixture of Himalayan pink salt, black pepper, dried oregano, garlic powder, and a touch of cayenne) and put it in a ziplock to sit in the fridge overnight to let the flavors marry. The next morning, I put it in the dehydrator at 140 degrees for about 4 hours, or until it's mostly done. I then turn the dehydrator up to 160 to finish it. Then just let it cool and bag it. I always snatch a couple of the pieces when it first comes out, though. Fresh, warm jerky is just too hard to resist!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I make my own. I use Alton Brown's jerky recipe and put it in my food dehydrator. Only takes about 4 hrs and it's so good. No preservatives so I keep it in the fridge.
  • glow_worm_eyes
    glow_worm_eyes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    :) Yes it's a wonderful high protein snack. My husband makes it
  • calbadger
    Options
    calbadger wrote: »
    If you have a smoker, this one looks interesting:

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Sriracha-Beef-Jerky-1281939

Well ... I made it. It's not bad, and it is saving me money, but I thought it would have more heat. I should add a bit more salt and maybe use something hotter than Sriracha (though I do like the aftertaste) ... Hmm ... maybe I should add some read pepper flakes.