Camping food suggestions

Options
lnadeau66
lnadeau66 Posts: 135 Member
Hi All,
We are heading out on a camping vacation, and I was wondering what suggestions I could get from you for healthy options. We usually do the hot dogs (I will get alfresco chicken sausage), burgers (ground round). I am thinking of bringing talapia, shrimp (we have a very small freezer in the camper), but I am looking for side dishes. Thanks for your help, Lynn

Replies

• mkw122680
    mkw122680 Posts: 33
    Options
    Corn and asparagus are awesome cooked over a fire if you have a grill grate that fits over the campfire ring. I make tin foil pouches for the corn on the cob and put some salt and pepper in for flavoring, though you could also just place them straight on the grill itself. I am going camping this weekend and thinking of trying the tin foil approach to steam some fresh broccoli as well. You can also bake potatoes over the campfire or slice them thin and also make a hobo pack with the foil (sliced potatoes with carrots thrown in).

Hope this helps for suggestions :)
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    Love the camping..go every year to some of the excellent provincial parks we have in Ontario....but I digress!

Food options. My rule is you have to cook it over or in the fire, whenever possible. At home, I frequently grill chicken at the same time that I'm cooking potatoes and carrots, all on the BBQ. I peel and slice potatoes and carrots, and wrap them in a double layer of aluminum foil, with a splash of olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper. Potatoes take about 20 minutes on medium heat, and the carrots about 15, but adjust to your taste. You unwrap, and serve right from the foil pouch, and no dishes afterward!

I'll also sometimes just do a side of whole wheat pasta, mixed with a little pesto and olive oil, or a small amount of butter and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.

My last favourite item on the grill is corn on the cob, if in season and local. Peel back the husks, but don't remove completely. Remove the silk and rewrap the cob with the husks. Soak in a tub of water for 30 minutes, and then grill on medium - high heat for about 20 minutes, turning twice. Again, no dishes, and the husks will dry out, so you can burn them in the campfire later!

Enjoy your trip!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    If you're caravan camping and gave a fridge or access to a microwave you can take baked beans. Try taking vegetables. Especially root vegetables as they last long and can be grilled
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid our pastor taught us hobo stew. On a square of foil toss hunks of hamburger, then add all your favorite veggies: onions, cut carrots, potato slices, mushrooms, broccoli...whatever. Season to taste. Fold up the foil, place it on the grill and it all cooks together into a nice one plate meal.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    shish kebabs over the fire. red peppers, baby potatoes, & mushrooms.