I need some good low impact exercises for arthritic knee

Options
I am thinking Stationary bike, but when looking through MFP its doesnt give RPM's for the different levels. I am still gonna try P90X,( no Plyo) but does any one have any good low impact calorie burners. I don't own a real bike, and I enjoy the Stationary bike. My knee is pretty much shot so no jumping and no running.

Replies

• ItsOn130
    ItsOn130 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    What about swimming? Or the Elliptical?
  • jlanphear78
    jlanphear78 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've had two knee surgeries this year and the pool has been a great place for me to get painless workouts in.
  • melindalamb
    Options
    swimming
  • Naomi_84
    Naomi_84 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Spinning
  • loramelendez
    Options
    water aerobics is a great way to get exercise without putting the pressure on your joints
  • illegalweight
    illegalweight Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The stationary bike is a great way to get your cardio exercise without aggravating the knee. You may also want to try some ankle weight exercises that you can do lying down such as leg lifts and knee bends. Good luck :happy:
  • CindyN58
    CindyN58 Posts: 39
    Options
    Water really is the best. Use a noodle or other flotation device to prevent and harsh leg impact on the bottom. I also do yoga and it doesn't hurt the knees.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Weights. Specifically leg extensions, leg curls, and 30%'s of both of those. You have to start with little to no weight and build up but it actually strengthens the muscles, sends blood flow to help regrow cartilage (You will hear people say you can't regrow cartilage, but you can with proper blood flow to the knee. I know because I've personally seen the MRI evidence of it being done in my own knee.), and can increase bone density so you are less likely to have arthritis pain later. I've had 2 knee surgerie on my left knee due to accidents and injuries over the years. Every ligament and tendon in it has been surgically repaired. After the second knee surgery, they told me that if I injured it again they would have to do a total knee replacement because I had no cartilage left. I started an intense weight training program after that and amped up my knee rehab exercises. The last 2 times I've injured it (yes, there are a total of 4), the MRI showed my cartilage was back and the tears to the ligaments were so minor that I was able to do physical therapy instead of surgery. I teach kickboxing, step aerobics, and anything else I want with no knee pain. I do still have aches in the winter time from the arthritis, but as soon as I get it moving and warmed up those go away. Arthritis isn't a sentence to a sedentary life. If anything, it is a signal to move more to help the body heal.