What do you do when you are very sick?

Options
I feel very weak today and hurt all over my body. I couldn't concentrate in school and sneezed about 100 times with no exaggeration in just an hour! The teacher sent me to sick bay and I stayed there for hours till I got picked up at 1pm. I have a really bad case of flu and headaches. Should I keep going with my regular diet and exercise or rest? I'll be going to school tomorrow because tomorrow I'll be going to an excursion to a university (I go to high school in Australia, Year 11) I eat very limited when I am sick, it's 9:30pm and I've eaten a sandwich and a muesli bar for the whole day. I ate because I needed to eat so I can take my medicine, otherwise I would've not eatten at all.
I feel kind of stupid asking this because it shouldn't stop me from my diet, right? What do you guys do when you are sick?

Replies

• Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Rest & try to eat healthily, if you find it difficult to stick to your net without exercise don't sweat about going over a couple of hundred or so. It's better to get well.
  • poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Maintain a healthy diet with LOTS of fluids, but no strenuous exercise. Go for a walk when you feel a touch better, but your body needs time to heal.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    If it is the flu (fever, nausea, etc…) then just rest. If it is just a cold, stick to your program; some gym time may help you feel better.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Yes it absolutely should. Stick as healthy as you can but dont worry about calories or sodium or carbs. Eat what will make you feel the best.
  • shayshay01
    shayshay01 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I would definatley NOT worry about my diet. You can't exercise if A. You are not eating, and B. Your body needs rest to recover. Give your body the break it needs.... rest and then when you are better- get back in the game. :-) Get well soon!
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If your not well, just take care of your body, eat healthy (if you can manage) and take rest. When you start feeling better slowly pick up the excersize again and continue from where you stopped when you got sick. Straining your body will only make the illness last longer.

Also be carefull on your schooltrip, if it is the flu you are coming down with it might be better to stay home and sleep it off
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    re "feel very weak today and hurt all over my body"; Your body is telling you something and it's probably that you need to rest. Pamper yourself today and hopefully tomorrow you'll feel refreshed and ready to get back on the horse. Get well soon!!! :D
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Rest! Eat healthily and dont worry!! You've got to eat to get yourself better and dont go exercising like mad and make yourself worse!!

Feel better!! :flowerforyou:
  • fosterks
    fosterks Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm not well at the moment at all, I have a bad throat, very bunged up and achy all over. I have (as much as it pains me) taken the decision to take the week off the gym, with a view to returning on Saturday. I feel absolutely lousy, I wouldn't give it my all, and ultimately I would just end up making myself feel worse, would get more ill, and then have to take double the amount of time off to get better. Just rest.
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Just rest and get healthy! I make sure that when I am sick I cut the carbs and increase the protein. I also LOAD up on fruits and veggies ad much as possible. I like...kick my diet into overdrive. Ive had mono for the past month and still have been losing.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    If your cold is above your neck, then continue your exercise routine and "push through it". If it is below your neck, rest and focus on getting better. "Comfort foods" are a good idea, just mind your calories the best you can. Getting back to 100% is job #1, so get there as quickly as you can by resting up.
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Rest and chicken soup and saltine crackers for me all day of course that's after I have gone to the doctor.
  • LaughingStraightToDaBank
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice! I think I might lose some weight after all :P (sadly water weight) since I already used up more than two large boxes of tissues haha :)
  • Susie_Bee
    Susie_Bee Posts: 34
    Options
    Personally, if I am very sick, then I have bigger concerns than "diet". My health comes first no matter what and I will do what it takes to get better and go back to focusing on "diet" when I am healthy and strong again.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Here is the deal to everyone saying to just rest; If you have a goal, you have to work towards it, taking any time off, regardless of reasoning, does not get you closer to your goal. Do you know what Tiger Woods does that day after he wins a tournament? He is back on the course in the morning at his scheduled time practicing. Most athletes are not the best because they are genetically gifted (while some are) they are the best because they have superior dedication. They have a schedule and a plan and they stick to it. I am not saying that you are trying to be a world class athlete, but if you want to be YOUR best, you need to be just as dedicated. Like I said, if you are SERIOUSLY sick (fever, nausea, etc..) then rest until those symptoms pass.

Ultimately you will do what you want, regardless of what anyone posts on here, but you asked for advice, and personally, you will have to hospitalize me to keep me out of the gym.