Finding the motivation to knuckle down and lose those last few pounds

Options
I started at 72kg (159lbs) about 9 months ago, and from there to here has been pretty straightforward. My first goal was 65kg, then 60kg, then 57kg, then 55kg. So now I'm at 56.5kg (124 lbs) and I just can't get myself to stick to a defecit. I seemed to have reached maintenance, so I thought I'd drop my calories by 100 and go from there. But a few weeks down the track and I check my weekly averages and I've been sneaking an extra percentage of my exercise calories and managing to average the exact same daily intake (about 2100).
I have it in my head that the extra couple of kgs will make running easier/faster/better, and I'm also curious if I can lose a bit of weight from my thighs to match my incredibly narrow hips (I've given up shrinking my waist, there's almost no fat left there to lose, it's just stretched from babies).
So, anyway, I'm just wondering how other people have motivated themselves to power through those last few pounds. My main goal for this year is to do my runs (a 13.5 km trail run, a 16km fun run, 2 halves, and my first full marathon in October), but I'd also like to get to my goal weight if I can just damn well do it.

Replies

• wonderchu
    wonderchu Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I spent most of last year hovering between 150lbs and 140lbs. This year I just decided it was time to just do it and I've gone from 149 to 137, with just a pound or two more to go.

Honestly, I'm so used to eating in a deficit that it hasn't been hard to just buckle down that little bit more. I ate at a deficit for most of last year too, it was just those inbetween times (vacations/occasions) that kept me stalling.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You know "how " to do, do you just have to decide if you want it badly enough to do the work
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. I'm at 130ish right now and want to be somewhere between 125 to 130 before starting maintenance but I'm definitely not as motivated now. I'm often going a couple hundred calories over for the day just because I'm like ehh not a big deal if I don't lose anything this week. I know I could lose the last few pounds if I stuck to it.

Hard to believe that I was so motivated to lose 80 pounds and now 5 seems like so much work lol. I just keep telling myself if I get to maintenance weight then I can start eating more.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I have finally decided to crack down and lose my last 5 lbs.
    For me, it was the combo of the summer coming (my stubborn fat is on my belly) and getting sick of thinking about it. I decided it was better to crack down for a few weeks and get it over with, than be frustrated with half-a$$ed on-again-off-again attempts at "weight loss" for the next several months.
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Same. I'm in for the replies. I know I just need crack down and lose the last few. Hoping the new month will help get me outside more, between raining, then below zero temps, one day to the next, I've haven't been as active. Also thinking of starting "Insanity" on Monday. And my logging has been sloppy too. Excuses,excuses. Yeah, I'm on it, thanks for this post. Good luck to you, you're progress is amazing!
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I have no advice for this because I am dealing with the same thing. I'm in here to say that you can't spot reduce, so the only way your thighs will shrink in size is a calorie deficit.

However, I can at least say that weight lifting has really began to help tone areas. In doing so, my weight has stayed the same but my body composition is changing. So at this point, and judging by your picture, I wouldn't solely go on the scale at this point.
  • Matt71Fleming
    Matt71Fleming Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat.Ive 5-6lbs to lose and I'm at my target weight.Lost a bit of my motivation recently.But time to knuckle down again.
  • wenkell22
    wenkell22 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Same here! 2.5 lbs to go until maintenance and suddenly I'm feeling "meh" about the whole thing. PMS doesn't help at all. Need to get the mojo back!
    :-)