ISO: Longer lasting breakfast!

Options
Hey yall.
I have been eating mostly oatmeal for breakfast each morning; it is my go-to. Sometimes I venture out if I have more time and I make eggs/egg whites, fruit, turkey bacon, or something along those lines. (And I always have black coffee)
However, it seems like I don't even get through one or two classes before I'm hungry again. Not craving food, per sey, but really hungry.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks!

Replies

• AlanahBeez
    AlanahBeez Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. I would say maybe make your portion sizes a little bit bigger. I know that's kind of contradicting, but maybe you're just not eating enough at the time. Something I like to add to my meals to make me more full and add more protein is chocolate milk. Try a glass of chocolate milk with your meals and see if it makes a difference :) it always makes me feel really full!
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Try switching to Steel Cut oats. Add a 12g of chia seed and 50g of raspberries or blueberries. That's what I eat most mornings and I'm satisfied for about 6 hours generally.
  • Mountainbum777
    Mountainbum777 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Throw a big scoop of peanut butter in your oatmeal, drink lots of water that will curb your hunger at times.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I find that having some protein with breakfast helps me be less hungry all day. I normally have eggs, but even when I have oatmeal I'll add some smoked salmon and veg on the side (or a tofu and veg scramble like today) or at least include some protein powder in the oats.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Try adding oat bran, chia or hemp seeds and nuts and fruit to you oatmeal. Yes, this adds calories but also protein and fats that will help you stay full longer. This is my go-to when I need a powerful breakfast on backpacking trips.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So what's the time difference between eating your breakfast and getting through a couple of classes? 2-3 hours?

You need to pack a snack for that time I think
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I like protein shakes:
    -spinach
    -1/2 banana
    -frozen blueberries
    -protein powder
    -yogurt

You can add milk or coconut oil to help it keep you more full as well.
  • glow_worm_eyes
    glow_worm_eyes Posts: 34 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    So what's the time difference between eating your breakfast and getting through a couple of classes? 2-3 hours?

You need to pack a snack for that time I think

Yea like a 100 calorie pack of almonds and a banana or an Apple. That would be pretty portable/ easy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Add some fruit, nuts, or protein powder to your oatmeal.

But honestly I haven't found much that would keep me full longer than 3 hours, unless I eat 800 calories or something.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

But honestly I haven't found much that would keep me full longer than 3 hours, unless I eat 800 calories or something.

Same with me. Years of dieting and trial and error has taught me that 1 big 800-900 calorie breakfast does a better job managing hunger for me than a breakfast & lunch for 900 cals total. Most days I have a large breakfast, a snack for lunch, then a large dinner.
  • petersonma
    petersonma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I won't be much help. Anytime I eat breakfast first thing, I'm hungry all day. To the point I'll send up getting shakes, light headed and stuff. If I don't eat first thing, I don't get nearly as hungry through the day. I rarely eat breakfast first thing any more, and when I do I plan lots of small snacks through the day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    JShailen wrote: »

Same with me. Years of dieting and trial and error has taught me that 1 big 800-900 calorie breakfast does a better job managing hunger for me than a breakfast & lunch for 900 cals total. Most days I have a large breakfast, a snack for lunch, then a large dinner.

I do medium breakfast, large early lunch, small snack, and small dinner. Typically.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Most times a protien bar or shake gets me through. Oatmeal, apples and things like that leave me hungry earlier. Boiled eggs made ahead with some whole grain bread might work. A snack is a good idea also.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Try skipping breakfast. If I eat early in the morning, I am starving all morning and all day. If my first meal is around lunch time I don't even notice any hunger through the morning.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    How about eating what you're eating, and then bringing a string cheese or some nuts for later? I'm a big fan of snacks.
  • jgaffney86
    jgaffney86 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If your hungry after about 3 hours is that pretty normal. I started eating 6 smaller meals a day with 2 glasses of water each meal. This has helped me greatly keep my hunger down. Or 5 meals a day. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Ditto. I generally have a small breakfast and a mid-morning snack.
  • DebDesautels
    DebDesautels Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I cast my vote for a small snack a few hours after your usual breakfast. I try to get 300-400 calories in for breakfast (usually this is around 6:30am for me) and 100-150 calorie snack (lately it's been a low-sugar yogurt) around 9:30-10:00. Then I'm usually good until around 1pm for a lunch. I was always a breakfast skipper but wouldn't endorse it. I've lost more weight since I started eating breakfast within an hour of getting up and adding a morning and afternoon snack.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It seems like when I get used to having something, it isn't as filling anymore, I rotate my filling breakfasts. I'll have full fat Greek yogurt for a while, 3-egg omelettes for a while, muesli, steak. Generally I have something that is high in protein, or high in fat, or high in fiber and kind of hard to digest, like the raw soaked oats in muesli.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    for some reason oats don't keep me full... OR they don't keep be satisfied. Most mornings I make breakfast potatoes, scrambled eggs with cheese, avocado, and a little salsa. I feel like the combo of fats, carbs, and protein keeps me full longer.