Where/how...

Options
Did you teach yourself about good nutrition and what's good to eat?

I mean I know fruit and veg good, crisps and chocolate bad. But I don't really have any really good knowlage and I want to learn..

Replies

• echmain
    echmain Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    In what universe is chocolate bad?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I learnt from my mom, school, diet industry, TV ("educational healthy cooking shows"), magazines, government, internet, books.
    Relearnt lots of it via MFP, internet, other books. Still working on that process.
    Oh, and there are no "good" and "bad" foods; it's all about balance and proportions.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I learned it from my mom and from her cook books.
    I started cooking for the family in middle school. Also my mom, dad, brothers, and sister were athletes so they paid a lot of attention to what they ate.
    After I moved out I watched cooking shows, learned which web sites were good, . . .
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It was taught about nutrition in school. I had books on nutrition to teach my own child. I've looked on the internet to find out about nutrition- sites like choosemyplate.gov.
    Basically get enough protein, whole grains are good choices, get several servings of vegetables or fruits a day. White potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, egg yolks are fine if you want to eat them.
    Look at the nutrients of your whole diet instead of one food. Consuming chocolate or crisps is fine as long as your whole diet meets your nutritional needs.
  • petersonma
    petersonma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of Internet reading, label reading in the grocery store, listen to news specials. I remember days when milk was considered bad, eggs were bad, and any number of things were considered bad. Given time research comes out that says those bad things aren't really bad. Some of the research is quality, some not so much. Now days, I don't consider anything bad and everything is good when enjoyed in moderation and balance.

But I've gotten that by listening, and reading, questioning what I read and hear and then deciding for myself.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I re-learned a lot here. For example, I learned that there's nothing wrong with chocolate or crisps if you've got room in your calories to eat them.