Feeling betrayed by my body

Options
I am getting gastric sleeve surgery on Monday morning. I have been diagnosed with a couple different autoimmune diseases that make this a good choice for me.

While at the dr they did a BMR test and found mine to be almost 50% lower than 'it should be'. I am sure this is due partly to the lifetime of extreme dieting and the diseases I have, but it still makes me so angry.

I lost over 150 lbs 8 yrs ago before I plateaued 75lbs before my goal. My weight stayed the same for 7 years, then last year I started gaining again with no cause, 70lbs in less than 1 year.

I am supposed to increase my calories (currently at 500-700 a day) to 1500-1700 calories a day to increase my Bmr, but every time I hit 1000 my weight goes up by 1.5-2 lbs a week. I feel really caught and like this surgery might fix one problem while creating two or three more.

I just needed to express this fear and frustration out loud. If anyone has a similar experience I would love to hear about your journey and process. Thx

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Best wishes on your surgery!
  • petersonma
    petersonma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My Mom just had lap band surgery, her story is different from yours. If you want a cheerleader, feel free to friend me.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    This is something I have no comprehension of as I tend to believe weight is just A math/calorie/choice issue.

I truly wish you the best and can understand why you would feel the way you do. God Bless
  • arjeffries136
    arjeffries136 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I had gastric sleeve 1/27/16. I've lost 28 lbs in 4 weeks. It took me a year to loose 30 lbs. pre-op. It has alleved some of my health issues already.
  • lthur714
    lthur714 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am getting gastric sleeve surgery on Monday morning. I have been diagnosed with a couple different autoimmune diseases that make this a good choice for me.

While at the dr they did a BMR test and found mine to be almost 50% lower than 'it should be'. I am sure this is due partly to the lifetime of extreme dieting and the diseases I have, but it still makes me so angry.

I lost over 150 lbs 8 yrs ago before I plateaued 75lbs before my goal. My weight stayed the same for 7 years, then last year I started gaining again with no cause, 70lbs in less than 1 year.

I am supposed to increase my calories (currently at 500-700 a day) to 1500-1700 calories a day to increase my Bmr, but every time I hit 1000 my weight goes up by 1.5-2 lbs a week. I feel really caught and like this surgery might fix one problem while creating two or three more.

I just needed to express this fear and frustration out loud. If anyone has a similar experience I would love to hear about your journey and process. Thx

Sandi...what a frustrating thing to have to go to after so much success! I believe it would be wise in your case to discuss this with a nutritionist. Perhaps they will have ideas that will put you back on track. Best wishes with your surgery!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    A normal and healthy human body's weight can fluctuate naturally 1-3 pounds from day to day. A slight but sudden weight gain when upping calories could be from refilling of glycogen deposits plus water and not real fat gain. Remember that to gain a pound of fat you need to consume 3500 calories more than your maintenance calories. Your BMR is linked to your musle mass, so when you dramatically undereat for longer periods of time, your metabolism drops as your muscles are consumed. It is sad that you have chosen surgery to lose weight. The surgery will force you to eat less, which is what you need to do anyway to lose weight, it doesn't do anything else. But good luck, and I wish you speedy recovery.
  • lthur714
    lthur714 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I had gastric sleeve 1/27/16. I've lost 28 lbs in 4 weeks. It took me a year to loose 30 lbs. pre-op. It has alleved some of my health issues already.

How wonderful for you! It's taken me over 6 months to lose 26 pounds on my own. But, I'm just scared of surgery. I've had several and really don't want to do it. But I'm thrilled for you!!!! Tell me....what was your recovery like post surgery?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I have an autoimmune disease too so add me if you want :)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I would think that lifting weights is part of the solution. In fact from what I have read, the muscle/metabolism evidence is so strong that I wonder why your doctor didn't bring it up.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I would think that lifting weights is part of the solution. In fact from what I have read, the muscle/metabolism evidence is so strong that I wonder why your doctor didn't bring it up.

Maybe her GP doesn't know and the surgeon's job is to perform surgery.
  • sandiegriffin39
    sandiegriffin39 Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thank you all. Typed a response and lost it. Taking that as a sign to get on with my day.

Again thank you all for your kind comments and support.