macro help

Options
so mfp naturally gave me 55% carb 27% protein 17%fat.
just wondering how to figure out what it should be since i see the caloric intake is off when I use calculators elsewhere. my BMR is around 1400-1452 and it gave me 1200 so I upped it to 1380.
thanks

Replies

• DizzyMissIzzy
    DizzyMissIzzy Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Well, what are your goals? And how much do you weigh at the moment?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    MFP gives everyone 50%C-20%P-30%C. You have to change it if you want a different ratio.

Are you looking at the pie chart? That just shows the macro ratio for the calories you've eaten so far today. It's useful to see if you are running ahead or behind on macros so you can make adjustments the next time you eat to try to get closer to the ratio you want.

It gave you 1200 calories because you told it that you wanted to lose 2 pounds per week and you hit the 1200 calorie minimum. It was a good move to up it to 1380. That will mean that you won't lose as quickly but weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    lisa9805 wrote: »
    so mfp naturally gave me 55% carb 27% protein 17%fat.
    just wondering how to figure out what it should be since i see the caloric intake is off when I use calculators elsewhere. my BMR is around 1400-1452 and it gave me 1200 so I upped it to 1380.
    thanks

MFPs default is 50% carbs, 30 fat, 20% protein. You can start with the calorie goal MFPs gave you as well, and change it if you don't lose at reasonable rate (.5 - 2 pounds per week) or if you are hungry, craving, grumpy or tired. See how it goes first. Weigh everything you eat and record it. Weigh yourself every morning and record it. You need about four weeks of data before you can decide if it works or not.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    *We would recommend, as a rule of thumb, the following:

1g of protein per lb of LBM as a minimum target

0.35g of fat per lb of total body weight as a minimum target

The balance can fall where you wish, taking into account performance, satiety and adherence.

Note: the above protein minimum assumes that you are on a deficit, are undertaking moderate exercise and do not have a significantly low or significantly high body fat percentage. It also assumes that you have no pre-existing medical condition that would require a lower intake.

At a very low body fat percentage or with highly intensive workouts a slightly higher amount of protein is recommended.

Conversely, at a very high body fat percentage or with no or little exercise, a slightly lower amount of protein is acceptable.

Also, at a high BF%, the fats recommendation can be decreased. If you have specific questions about this, please feel free to ask us for our input.

When you have determined the minimum grams of protein and fat, you can calculate the corresponding percentages based on your calorie target to input into MFP. Protein and carbs have 4 calories per gram and fat has 9 calories per gram. Note that MFP only allows 5% increments so you will need to pick the one nearest your desired target.

For example, say someone is 150 lbs with a BF% of 20% on a 2,000 calorie target. Note, a 20% body fat means that someone has a 80% lean body mass (LBM) as LBM is everything except fat (muscle, water, organs, tissue, etc). Their macros in grams would be:

Protein: 1 x 150 x 0.8 (LBM) = 120g x 4 calories = 480 calories divided by 2,000 (calorie target) = 24% - round up to 25%
    Fat: 0.35 x 150 = 53.5g x 9 calories = 473 calories divided by 2,000 = 24% - round up to 25%
    Carbs: balance of 50%
    Remember, protein and fats are minimums and so do not worry about going over on these, carbs would be the variable in this case and you would be under on that macro in order to meet your calorie target.

To change the MFP settings go to My Home -> Goals-> Change Goals-> click Customize and update the macros.

*http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • lisa9805
    lisa9805 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    oh i must have been looking at the wrong thing lol
    height 5 foot 2 inch. weight 178lbs. body fat around 40% *pt measured it*. need to lose weight and I'm also going to try 2-3 days at the gym for about 45min-1hr. 30-40min cardio and then weight machines.

what would u all suggest? i have been on mfp for over a month and just started using a scale to be more accurate.
  • lisa9805
    edited February 2016
    Options
    so I took a look at my macros using the formula in the link provided.
    according to my stats my macros should be 30% carb and protein and 40% fat. does that seem right? to me I would think my fat should be lower since my BF is high. I changed my cal goal to 1380 now too. weight goal of 1lb a week. I also have it sedentary as I hurt my back. I will up that to active once I am back at it.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    I believe your calorie goal is a bit low. Your BMR is supposedly in the 1500s, and as a rule of thumb, you should never aim for an intake lower than that. (You will still lose weight. The difference between your TDEE and BMR creates the calorie deficit.) Dietary fat has no correlation with body fat. Calories count. You need some fat for hormones, processes etc, and absorbing nutrients in vegetables. And fat makes lots of food taste better. 100 grams protein is a lot, and 62 grams fat is a bit on the low side, in my opinion. But it's your diet, you have to find your own sweet spot. (Mine is 70 grams of fat and protein; this stays the same, I've just added more carbs as I've approeched and reached maintenance.)
  • lisa9805
    Options
    ok I changed my cal goal to 1530 now. Should I try the macros the way MFP gives them first?
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Fat % 40 - You should be eating healthy fats, like avocados, fish and almonds.Healthy fats will help you burn fat. Good start!!
  • lisa9805
    Options
    thanks
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    lisa9805 wrote: »
    ok I changed my cal goal to 1530 now. Should I try the macros the way MFP gives them first?

Good. You won't regret upping your calories. The default will give you 51 grams fat and 77 grams protein; you can start there, and notice how you feel. Unless you're into sports, macro split is mainly about 1) getting a balance of nutrients, and a balance of macronutrients will tend to have a balance of micronutrients as well, and 2) about compliance, because a diet that is easy for you to stick to (because it's enough food and food you find tasty and easy to prepare) will increase the probability that you will stick to your plan, and thus succeed.
  • lisa9805
    Options
    ;)