The Amazing Avocado

Options
sd101483
sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
For those that LOVE Avocado like I do (and my entire office...we're obsessed) - there's a great Website with all the nutritional information (hello, super food!) and AWESOME recipes! I really want to try one of these soups!

http://www.theamazingavocado.com/nutrition/introduction/

Replies

• mschickiepoo
    mschickiepoo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Avocado. What does it taste like and how do you pick a good one (firm, medium, soft???).
  • mommajdawg
    mommajdawg Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    LOVE AVOCADO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Avocado. What does it taste like and how do you pick a good one (firm, medium, soft???).

Ya know, that's hard to describe...it's a mild flavor, in my opinion...but, not sure how to describe it. There is a great guide on the website for picking one (including pictures) but a quick run down is it should be slightly soft to the touch and a darker color. If it's bright green and firm, it's not ripe, yet. If it's super squishy and almost black, it's SUPER ripe and needs to be eaten ASAP!
  • CoachMaritova
    CoachMaritova Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I love avocados!!!
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I luv avacados too!!! They have been a staple in my house for years and to know they're good for me makes them even more awesome!
  • Scoobies87
    Scoobies87 Posts: 379
    Options
    I love avocados too but I avoid them like the plague when on a diet coz of their high fat. Will check out that website though, hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised!
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this! I love Avocado!
  • loseit65
    loseit65 Posts: 47
    Options
    mmmmmmmm I love advocado!!!! :)
  • CoachMaritova
    CoachMaritova Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I love avocados too but I avoid them like the plague when on a diet coz of their high fat. Will check out that website though, hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised!

But it's the good fat, that actually helps burn body fat!! :D
  • jrp050680
    jrp050680 Posts: 3
    Options
    Avocado is creamy and mild. If you're going to eat it right away, pick one that has some give to it but is not easily mushed beneath your fingers. It should be mostly a darker color (not bright green). If you're going to wait to eat it, pick a firmer, greener one. You can speed ripening by leaving it on the counter (and putting it inside a brown paper bag, like peaches) or slow ripening by putting it in the fridge.
    Keep in mind that a serving of avocado is not a whole avocado like most fruit. I tend to give in and eat the entire thing (which is a lot of fat and calories), but you can save the parts you don't eat by immersing them in lime juice or another acid.
    Figuring out how to slice an avocado seems to be the toughest part if you haven't done it before. It's best to slice it all the way around the pit, lengthwise, then twist the two peices apart. The pit will end up in one side, and you can tap it with the sharp side of a knife so the knife gets stuck in the pit. Then twist the knife so that you can pull the pit out on it. Toss the pit and then slice your avocado while it's still in the skin. You can make long thin slices or dice it however you want. Once you're done with that, just scoop it out with a spoon.
    I have yet to meet an avocado dish I didn't like!
  • SusanRenee35
    SusanRenee35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    llloooovvveeee AVOCADO! tHANX FOR SHARING!
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I think I might have drooled a little bit. :) mmmmm
    Cut one up and sprinkle a little pepper and lime juice on it, eat it raw. Yummmmmmmmie!
  • Minoesh
    Minoesh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Avocado is creamy and mild. If you're going to eat it right away, pick one that has some give to it but is not easily mushed beneath your fingers. It should be mostly a darker color (not bright green). If you're going to wait to eat it, pick a firmer, greener one. You can speed ripening by leaving it on the counter (and putting it inside a brown paper bag, like peaches) or slow ripening by putting it in the fridge.
    Keep in mind that a serving of avocado is not a whole avocado like most fruit. I tend to give in and eat the entire thing (which is a lot of fat and calories), but you can save the parts you don't eat by immersing them in lime juice or another acid.
    Figuring out how to slice an avocado seems to be the toughest part if you haven't done it before. It's best to slice it all the way around the pit, lengthwise, then twist the two peices apart. The pit will end up in one side, and you can tap it with the sharp side of a knife so the knife gets stuck in the pit. Then twist the knife so that you can pull the pit out on it. Toss the pit and then slice your avocado while it's still in the skin. You can make long thin slices or dice it however you want. Once you're done with that, just scoop it out with a spoon.

The best way to ripen an avo is to wrap it in newspaper and put it in a dark cupboard - works everytime! Just don't forget where you put it, like I do! :laugh:
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    We used to have an avocado tree and while I have never been an avocado fan - I loved fresh, slighly unripe avocados- sliced thin with a little mist of lime juice- crunchy and good- and as all avocado lovers out there no "crunchy" is not the usual adjective one hears in connection with avocados
  • makeupartist12
    Options
    OMG!!!!!!! TTTHHHHHHANNNNKKK YOOUUUUUU!!!! love this site already!!!
  • mschickiepoo
    mschickiepoo Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Thanks! I am going to pick one up on my way home from work! :flowerforyou: