270lb Woman. 20yrs Old. Help*

Options
I currently weight 270lb. I have currently been taking steps to changing my life. I have cut out all sodas and Fast Food. I currently have been walking and biking 2-3 miles a day. I need some insight into what i need to do as i start to loose weight and as time goes on. I just want to know the best way possible that i can accomplish my goals. I am very motivated at this point. But i don't want to spiral backwards due to my lack of knowledge.
If you can give any tips or help in any way possible it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance!

Replies

• CampLondon
    CampLondon Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I would go to a track and run for one lap and walk/run the rest of the 40 minutes I was there. I also lost weight last year by running up a hill 2 or three times. Do not forget to do some weight training or Pilates type of exercises. popPilates helped me maintain my weight for many weeks after I stopped running and walking.
  • icspicthia
    icspicthia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I first started a few years ago, having friends on MFP was very encouraging and reaffirming of the positive steps I was trying to take. I also had friends with whom I could workout, so that helped with accountability. Now I am at a place where I enjoy working out on my own just because I feel good, but I really benefited from that external motivation early on.

Maybe setting small weekly or monthly goals to hit along the way that are not weight-related will also help. Some ideas: hitting your dietary fiber goal for a week; reaching your 8 cups of water per day for a week; trying one new vegetable each week; incremental increases in mileage, such as adding half a mile per week. For me, weight loss has been a looooong marathon, not a sprint, so having small goals along the way has kept my motivated.
  • icspicthia
    icspicthia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Also: good on you for the steps that you have already taken! Cutting out soda and fast food are big hurdles for many. It sounds like you are making great progress toward a healthier you. Kudos!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Just remember that this is not a "diet"... a diet means that it's temporary and at some point you will stop. Over the course of your weightloss you are going to have good days and bad days, you will go on vacation, have holidays and choose to eat things you know are not the "best"... just come back and continue logging. Most of weightloss is dependent on what we eat - you can't out-exercise a bad diet. Set small goals along the way and celebrate them. I don't know what your life situation is - but I am a mom and a wife. I find that my days go better if I plan my dinner early in the day and log it, that way I know how many calories I have to play with for breakfast, lunch and snacks.
    I have found it useful to approach this as a "student"... studying how my body works. I've learned that from day to day, my weight fluctuates A LOT (sometimes up to 5 lbs). So if I get on the scale and my weight is up, I now know not to panic.. I just stay the course and know that I am doing all the right things. Water consumption is really important! I know that I tend to eat when in reality, my body is thirsty. So I drink a lot of water.
    Good luck in your journey!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Trish,
    To state the obvious The exercise you are doing is great.

Weight is lost in the kitchen/dining table. Set your goals on MFP and follow their daily calorie guide. It really does work.
    Eating back only 1/2 of exercise calories iis helpful.
  • novio50
    novio50 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    While you're losing weight try not to let the weight loss define you, your hsppiness, or your definition of success. You are not the number on the scale. Your weight loss will not & is not the best thing about you. Keep that in mind just in case the number on the scale increases. Dramatic weight loss can mess with a person's self image. I know that 1st hand. You can will win if you don't quit.
  • alicetl4
    alicetl4 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good Luck, I'm sure you'll do fine, use every excuse to move as often as possible and it all starts to add up :-)
  • Karmc2k
    Karmc2k Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Trish, welcome! You are off to a good start by giving up soda and fast food, and it is impressive how much you are walking. Keep doing what you are doing. After a time, when you feel comfortable, reevaluate your exercise and eating routine, just by making small changes along your path you will be pushing yourself forward. Also, don't quit! Even if you have a bad day just log in all your calories and do better the next day. I know every time I would "quit" it would become a binge-fest. If you don't quit you get back on track much sooner. Now I am just rattling on....if you want a friend to cheer you on, you are welcome to add me. I would like to see you be successful! :)