Anxiety

Options
Question: I haven been experiencing some anxiety lately and we're working on getting it under control. Just laying here, my heart rate ranges between 115-130. My Fitbit thinks I'm working out, thus crediting me more calories burned. Am I really burning these calories in my bed, or is this inaccurate?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    i would say no. i have situational anxiety and never count anything when im at that point

is that your usual resting HR?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Your HR isn't directly correlated to calorie burn...it is used in an algorithm to estimate a % of VO2 max that you are working and estimates calories burned based on that. It requires a steady state cardiovascular event to be relatively accurate...no...you aren't burning all of those extra calories just having a higher HR. There would be some elevation in metabolism as experienced by people with hyperthyroid, but it's not to the level of actually exercising.

ETA: I have bouts of anxiety from time to time...exercise really helps a lot...I also do yoga and thai chi for my mental health.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Exercise more. I've gone out and walked and run in the wee hours of the morning. It helps. You'll also get a real calorie burn, but more importantly it will help you come down.
  • Rhiana1188
    Rhiana1188 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i would say no. i have situational anxiety and never count anything when im at that point

is that your usual resting HR?

My usual resting heart rate averages about 80.
  • Rhiana1188
    Rhiana1188 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Your HR isn't directly correlated to calorie burn...it is used in an algorithm to estimate a % of VO2 max that you are working and estimates calories burned based on that. It requires a steady state cardiovascular event to be relatively accurate...no...you aren't burning all of those extra calories just having a higher HR. There would be some elevation in metabolism as experienced by people with hyperthyroid, but it's not to the level of actually exercising.

ETA: I have bouts of anxiety from time to time...exercise really helps a lot...I also do yoga and thai chi for my mental health.

I've been exercising, also doing yoga, and I've started taking some amino acids as well as some different herbs to try and get it in check. I've come a LONG way but I'm still experiencing it from time to time. I was really just sort of curious if the calorie burn was accurate. Thanks for your info, it was very helpful!