jogging vs cycling

Options
I started the C25K program and was LOVING it! However, I aggrevated an old knee injury and am now slowly, painfully limping around. I think just out of spite the other day, I hopped on my bike and clicked off two miles. While I was riding, my knee didn't hurt! So, I guess my question is, can I get the same quality of burn on the bike that I was getting from jogging?

Replies

• MaryW1962
    MaryW1962 Posts: 23
    Options
    I burn more calories in spin class than if I run on the treadmill. I would think, unless your just riding on a flat road the whole time, that you would burn even more on a real bike. :smile:
  • stephiehampshire
    Options
    I run and cycle using a heart rate belt so my calorie burn is quite a good estimate,

Im 5"4 and weigh 145lbs

Running 1 mile at a 6mph pace (10 min mile) I burn approx 100 calories
    Cycling 1 mile at a 13mph pace (about 4.5 mins per mile) I burn approx 60-80 calories per mile

Going up hill does increase both,

So you do get more burn from running however cycling is pretty close, I cycle to work every day because I dont have the time to run as often as I would like to and I have a old hip injury which makes running painful!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I agree w/MaryW1962 -- I've burned more in spin classes than on a treadmill. We have a guy in my class in his 50's who had a knee replacement and does spin every week, so it is good for bum knees. I'd give the knee a rest, and find a really tough spin teacher! :} You don't want to ruin you knees for good!
  • LaughingStraightToDaBank
    Options
    Riding a bike is great for toning up your whole body. It burns quite a lot of calories and it's more fun in my opinion! Besides, any kind of exercise is better than none. Good luck!
  • aharmeson
    aharmeson Posts: 55
    Options
    You can push yourself on a bike just like you can push yourself running. My goal is to push as hard as i can for as long as i can on a road bike. I average about 20mph on my road bike. Not sure how many calories im burning cause i do not have a HRM but I will say this my knees dont hurt near as bad and i can push myself a lot harder on a bike than i can running. I do feel you work more muscles while runnning though. I could be wrong but this works for me.
  • andyp10
    andyp10 Posts: 11
    Options
    Cycle is much easier on the knees!
  • stephiehampshire
    Options
    You can push yourself on a bike just like you can push yourself running. My goal is to push as hard as i can for as long as i can on a road bike. I average about 20mph on my road bike. Not sure how many calories im burning cause i do not have a HRM but I will say this my knees dont hurt near as bad and i can push myself a lot harder on a bike than i can running. I do feel you work more muscles while runnning though. I could be wrong but this works for me.

20mph! I struggle to get to 15! in my defence I do have all my work gear strapped to the front and rear of my bike and its hilly ......

I dont thnk you can compare spinning and cycling in terms of calorie burn, spinning is really intense cycling is more gentle depending on how hard you push yourself. I couldnt cope with a spinning class due to my hip and knee (was run over a year ago) but I can cope with normal road cycling,
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    I do both. I burn the same amt of calories in 2 hours of cycling as 1 hour of running. Cycling is more strength training and less cardio for me. When I'm running, my hr is up the entire time. When I'm on my bike, I push hard, but there's always downhills and slowdowns that lower the heart rate way down. It only really gets up into the running hr zone when I'm climbing a hill.

Spinning is wayyyy different than going outdoors and riding your bike. I don't put the two in the same category.

And running is not bad for the knees! :grumble: (where's the eye roll smiley?) Cycling can be really bad on the knees if your bike and seat aren't fitted properly. Just sayin'
  • alligatorsmile
    Options
    It depends on how you ride, but i started to buy and ride a bike b/c i have some minor knee problems too that just got aggravated even walking 2+ miles. now i have been riding for almost 3 months and i have not had ANY of the old knee problems i used to have when i worked out at a gym and also walked or did the elliptical. also i think my partner and i are going to try some HIIT on the bikes soon - http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2005/jun/07/lifeandhealth.medicineandhealth you can sprint on a bicycle also if you can find some long stretches of road.

I find it a lot easier to push myself harder on a bike than walking or jogging (which makes me want to die especially in Texas summer heat).