Why can I swim but not walk without injury

Options
Since starting my weight loss safari (not a journey, the roads too bumpy) I've been swimming 3-4 times a week for exercise. Mainly because of a back injury and it's low impact. I wanted to start walking again since I've lost some weight. I walked about 2km yesterday with a very steep 100m incline at the start and now my calf muscles feel like they're dying a slow death each time I walk.

I don't understand how I can swim with fins until my legs burn but walking hurts so bad?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Because you not used to walking. Maybe start walking with less of an incline.
  • rosey35
    rosey35 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Try Leslie sansone walk at home on YouTube as you get better and can go for a mile increase then try those hills again.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you're not used to it.

decrease the incline and work up to it.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    sore calf muscles are related to steep incline. Start walking on flat and increase to incline when able to walk pain free on flat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    They are 2 different types of exercises and different types of muscle fibers being used. Guaranteed if you tried to do 3 sets of squats, your quads would be sore the next day even with all the swimming.
    Don't walk on an incline till you're used to walking flat. There's a lot of hype on walking inclines, and honestly most people don't do it well (because the majority hold on for life on treadmills which reduces the intensity).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • KBecks
    KBecks Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The properties of water and land are different. On land you are dealing with gravity, but in water you have buoyancy. The water will be gentler on your back. You could try walking in the pool, it is advisable to wear water shoes to protect your feet from getting torn up by the pool bottom surface. On land, try walking on a flat surface first and warm up your body before working on an incline. Get fitted for high quality athletic shoes at a running store that will support your feet well for walking on land. And, learn some stretches you can do for your calves. You can also look into using a foam roller on your legs.

Good luck!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    When walking up a steep incline you are really stretching those calf muscles. Take it slow and gradually increase the distance.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    What's a 100m incline in degrees?
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Remember too, that the walking was weight bearing. I began swimming due to an injury that prevented running. I did all of my fitness in the water until I recovered. The first run was fine, but the next day, I was sore. I realized that I hadn't had to bear my weight during exercise in almost a year. It got better quickly.
  • Kristie354
    Kristie354 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I can't walk outside unless I go up the hill. It's the only way out of my street. I will start walking on the treadmill for a while until I'm used to it.