Protien and muscles

Options
While on a calorie restricted diet, does eating all protein macro advised on mfp save muscle loss?
If not, what do you suggest?

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    What can I do to prevent losing muscle mass while losing fat. I'm losing inches quickly! but I want to hang on to muscle, at my age that has to be priority.
  • Carla1962Shaw2015
    Carla1962Shaw2015 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    While loosing weight, you can help prevent muscle loss with strength training and an adequate intake of protein. Set your protein at .8- 1 gram of protein to body weight.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    +1 what Carla says. Lift weights, using a proven strength-training total body program (stronglifts, starting strength, new rules of lifting for women, etc.). There are a ton of threads in this forum that describe how to get going, how to set your macros, etc. The key is to use resistance training, with progression to heavier weights, to maintain muscle mass.

Trust us....many of us here (waving my hand) have lost weight without incorporating serious strength training/resistance exercises (using either nothing or just cardio), and are trying to build our muscles and strength back. It's much tougher to do that than it is to lift weights from the get-go.

Your rate of loss may be reduced somewhat (you may not lose as quickly), but the proportion of WHAT you're losing will be more fat than lean body mass.

Search this forum, as well as groups like Eat, Train, Progress and Stronglifts 5x5 For Women here.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I appreciate it. Will search the site here.

I don't have access to weights or a gym. Live in a small town in Portugal. Are there any alternatives? I walk, yoga, and a floor routine for balance. I do qi gong which uses body weight. Plus I play a heavy accordion. Without a gym, is there no other way to build muscle?
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Does anyone build muscle without using a gym or weights?
  • tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    There many exercises that require you to only use your body for building muscles. I combine street workout/calisthenics with gym/weights. The key for building muscles is to provide adequate amount of proteins. If you are on a reduction you may probably want to supplement yourself with BCAA etc.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    ok, great! I know a good calesthenic work out, did it for years, so there is the possibility for muscle memory!
    Thanks. Whats BCCA?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Branch Chain Amino Acids. There is some science that says BCAAs could help, especially while in a deficit. How much? It's debatable. Focus on the protein intake and resistance training first. Those are of utmost importance.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Google "Nerd Fitness". They have a good strength program with minimal equipment. Don't do too much the first day. ;)
  • Gamliela
    Options
    I really appreciate the feedback.I'll read per suggested.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    5-10 grams bcaa's is the usual recommended dose. It's not tastey, so you might want capsules, although a bit more expensive.