Should I eat fruit

hi guys been using this app for a month and had 4lbs weight loss so far but last 2 weeks lost nothing I have a smoothie every morning does any one know if eating too much fruit will not help with weight loss

Replies

• EastSideJohnny
    EastSideJohnny Posts: 18 Member
    Yes. As much as you can. And veggies too. All kinds, all the time.
  • karenburns12
    karenburns12 Posts: 8 Member
    But do you think the sugar content in fruit is okay I'm new to all this thanks for replying
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    edited February 2016
    If you don't have a medical condition that requires you monitor your sugar then enjoy your fruit. If you eat less calories than your burn, you will lose weight regardless. The first couple weeks usually are the biggest losses and then it slows down from there. Just make sure you are measuring and weighing your food and log everything.
  • karenburns12
    Thanks just fed up with no weight loss over past 2 weeks keep plodding on then
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    If you feel like opening up your diary perhaps we could offer suggestions.
  • karenburns12
    How do I do that ?
  • wendsg
    wendsg Posts: 745 Member
    edited February 2016
    Under 'my home' go under settings, then diary settings. At the bottom is the diary share options. If you make it public, everyone can look and aid you. :)

And to add on, are you carefully weighing everything? If you're using eyeball estimates, you could be eating more than you realize.

Please don't feel you have to exclude any group! Calories in vs calories out is what really matters. Unless as previously mentioned you have a health condition, then do as your doctor recommends. Best of luck to you!
  • karenburns12
    Thanks think I've changed my setting. I've been lucky enough to never had to worry about my weight but I slipped a disc 5 months ago and have put on a 19lbs. So I'm not able to do lots of exercise at the minute. So basically I need to be burning the same amount of calories for eg by exercise as I do eating calories ??? Wow that's a lot of exercise
  • karenburns12
    Oh and no have not been weighing my food
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Thanks think I've changed my setting. I've been lucky enough to never had to worry about my weight but I slipped a disc 5 months ago and have put on a 19lbs. So I'm not able to do lots of exercise at the minute. So basically I need to be burning the same amount of calories for eg by exercise as I do eating calories ??? Wow that's a lot of exercise

When people talk about burning more calories than you eat, you have to take into account all of the calories you burn just being alive (your BMR) and all of the calories you burn doing every day activity (your NEAT). You don't need to burn it all off through exercise and trying to do that would be a quick way to injury or burnout.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    If you're weightloss has stalled it's unlikely to be the fruit that's doing it. There are a few medical conditions that seem to respond better to a low carb diet, but for the majority of people it won't matter.

These are my terribly generic tips for stalls:

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I emphasize veggies in my diet and keep to 2 servings or so of fruit per day. Fruit is great...veggies pack more nutrition though and are generally less calorie dense. As fruit goes, I usually have a serving of berries of some sort and a serving of an apple or citrus (grape fruit or orange) or black grapes.

• karenburns12
    Thanks everyone for getting back to me seems I need to re educate myself will defo be buying scales be making more of an effort to get back to hot yoga this week
  • Morglez
    Morglez Posts: 46 Member
    Oh and no have not been weighing my food

Weigh EVERYTHING! You might be eating more calories than you think. A food scale can be your best friend on this journey!

I eat lots of fruit (it helps keep my cravings for sweets at bay) and I also enjoy a smoothie (sometimes two) just about every day. And I am still loosing. Granted, I have a ton more to lose than you but as long as you eat at a calorie deficit, then you will lose.

Good luck!
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    I eat a lot of fruit and I don't have issues. I do measure all of my fruit!
  • karenburns12
    Thanks for getting back to me everyone and good luck to you all no pain no gain eh
  • anthony120576
    anthony120576 Posts: 33 Member
    I wish you the best! If you want to friend me, we can support each other