Gained .4 instead of loss

Options
I know weight loss isn't linear. I'm not throwing in the towel, just want some encouragement.

Last week my calorie goal was 1200. I wear a Fitbit Charge hr. I worked really hard on the treadmill last week at the gym.

My stats are that I'm 5'5 weight 175.2 and my goal is 145 lbs. I went ahead and changed my goal to lose .5 lbs a week instead of 2 lbs a week.

So far my experience on MFP has been great. I'm on a 47 day streak with consistent loss. It's just disheartening that last week I lost only .2 lbs and this week I gained .4.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Wait for the whoosh!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Yep. Happens a lot. Lose a tiny bit, lose a tiny bit, gain a bit, lose a big chunk.

Keep going!!
  • mom2natalie
    mom2natalie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm able to fit into jeans that I hadn't before. I'll just be patient. I'm taking my 8 year old rollerskating this morning...that should earn me some exercise calories....and be embarrassing!
  • poscur
    poscur Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am approx the same stats as you...trying to lose same amount etc. Be patient through the plateaus and then you will have a rewarding loss. If you ate something salty etc could be the difference of that amount. Keep going you are doing great.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm able to fit into jeans that I hadn't before. I'll just be patient. I'm taking my 8 year old rollerskating this morning...that should earn me some exercise calories....and be embarrassing!

So you're able to start fitting into smaller size clothing, so I fail to see a problem? The scale is not the only method of measurement, and should not be for this sole reason. Progress photos, tape measurements, how you're feeling, how clothes are fitting, ect are far more important than a scale reading.

• ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    The non-linearity of weight loss is indeed frustrating. I would so much prefer losing the same amount every single day instead of not budging for a week, gaining a bit and then losing a great deal all while following MFP religiously. Alas this is the reality of weight loss, especially for women :/

You are not alone in this!
  • mallaidhnme
    mallaidhnme Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    That stinks. I just had this happen to me. Steady, incremental loss, then up two pounds. The ability of numbers to control us is amazing...

Hang in there. You are getting your results.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    If .4 pounds stresses you, weigh less frequently or learn how much weight fluctuates throughout the day/week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    That much of a gain can be attributed to many things. Lack of rest, water retention, higher glycogen storage due to higher intensity workouts, stress, etc.
    Weight loss isn't linear and there will be MANY times along the way where you will NOT lose weight based on the scale.
    If you like the way you look, fit the clothes you want and people commend you on your physique, does it REALLY matter what the scale says?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You say you "know" weight loss is not linear. This is proof! Now all you have to do is accept it and believe it!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You just changed from 2 pounds to .5 lbs. That's a pretty big difference. You're eating more food now. You're still in a deficit but it might take a week or two to see the loss. You have more food in your system now, and are possibly retaining more water.
  • mom2natalie
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You just changed from 2 pounds to .5 lbs.
    I should have been more clear. I changed to .5 this morning after I weighed. The 1200 calories on 2 lbs per week seemed like too little.

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    If you've increased your exercise, you may be retaining a bit of water. That will go away in a couple of weeks and the weight will come off.
    A 2-lb/week goal was probably a bit aggressive. I'm also trying to lose with a goal of 0.5 lb/week. In some ways I find it harder than a 1 lb/week goal because even small weighing discrepancies or an extra snack can stall things. There's very little wiggle room. Be prepared for that.
    You're doing great. Your clothes are fitting better. Keep doing what you're doing and things will fall into place. Well done!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You just changed from 2 pounds to .5 lbs.
    I should have been more clear. I changed to .5 this morning after I weighed. The 1200 calories on 2 lbs per week seemed like too little.

Ah, excuse me. After I typed it I was wondering about that. Just so you know, when you go to weigh yourself now you will literally have more food in your tummy and it can show up on the scale. It's not a fat gain. Just be patient :)
  • mom2natalie
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I created some "before" pictures in an album so I can look at my progress.
  • mom2natalie
    Options
    Hey everyone. I lost 2.4 lbs this week. My overall average is 1.48 lbs loss per week.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    .4 is nothing.

If you weigh yourself throughout the day, you'll see lots of increases and decreases throughout the say simply from food/water intake, going to the bathroom, ect. Don't be discouraged, it is normal. Oh, high sodium and T.O.T.M can cause fluid retention. No biggie.
  • Michaelg235
    Michaelg235 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Its most likely water weight
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. It's probably just water or waste.