Decent-tasting non-dairy protein powder?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I tried the Vega One protein powder and I 100% could not stomach it. Even one tablespoon in a big fruit smoothie made the smoothie inedible for me. I gave up on protein powder.

However, I need some sort of back-up protein option in my cupboard for days when I'm just not getting enough protein. I tend to get a headache/dizzy/lightheaded sick feeling when I haven't eaten enough protein during the day, and it can lead me to make really bad food choices eg 5 cups of cereal with soymilk was a recent one. I've decided to stop buying cereal because I think it's also part of the problem, but it's beside the point. I will eat until that awful feeling goes away. If I have two eggs, the feeling stops, but if I'm out of eggs (like I am now) I tend to overeat other foods.

I know that better planning with meals and shopping etc would fix it, but I'm still working on that and I'm not very on the ball. Also things like high protein granola bars are out of the question because I will eat them even when I don't need to until they're gone.

So which non-dairy-based protein powders would you recommend I try?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Have you tried pea protein? I really like it. I found hemp protein the worst tasting.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How about a Spirulina pill?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Starter pack

https://www.soylent.com/ ?
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have sun warrior and wished I would have picked vanilla instead of unflavored. I have to use vanilla almond milk and some stevia and cinnamon to make it ok. Maybe try some small sample packets at a vitamin store before you buy large?
  • shawnathan9
    shawnathan9 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sun warrior chocolate flavor blended with a banana or 5.
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Blenditup protein powder bought at Costco- no dairy
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'm using brown rice protein powder in vanilla. It's drinkable, just, and flavour is ok but it is very gritty in texture.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Jay Rabb's Egg white protein. I have had both the chocolate and vanilla. Both are good.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'm using ON's dutch chocolate soy powder right now. It's not too bad. I like the egg white powders, too. Pea, rice, hemp powders are so, so gross...
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    I tried the Vega One protein powder and I 100% could not stomach it. Even one tablespoon in a big fruit smoothie made the smoothie inedible for me. I gave up on protein powder.

However, I need some sort of back-up protein option in my cupboard for days when I'm just not getting enough protein. I tend to get a headache/dizzy/lightheaded sick feeling when I haven't eaten enough protein during the day, and it can lead me to make really bad food choices eg 5 cups of cereal with soymilk was a recent one. I've decided to stop buying cereal because I think it's also part of the problem, but it's beside the point. I will eat until that awful feeling goes away. If I have two eggs, the feeling stops, but if I'm out of eggs (like I am now) I tend to overeat other foods.

I know that better planning with meals and shopping etc would fix it, but I'm still working on that and I'm not very on the ball. Also things like high protein granola bars are out of the question because I will eat them even when I don't need to until they're gone.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/10-best-tasting-protein-powders-for-women.html check this article for suggestions
  • Spats_27
    Spats_27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    jwcanfield wrote: »
    kae612 wrote: »

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/10-best-tasting-protein-powders-for-women.html check this article for suggestions

"For women" definitely does not translate to "dairy free". The only protein powder in that list that is dairy free is Vega and literally every product I have tried from them is beyond awful.

As for protein, I've tried beef and veggie proteins of many kinds (not soy, but I'm not going to try it) and they are all pretty disgusting. If you just need it as a backup for protein though, I highly recommend just having a can of light tuna ready for days like that. A can is about the same amount of protein as a scoop of most whey proteins and basically always higher than a scoop of veggie protein.
  • Beansg1
    Beansg1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have tried hemp, pea, whey, rice and cannot get past the bad flavour and odour. My go to is Almased. It is a little on the expensive side. I don't eat out a lot so I feel the extra on this powder is justifiable. The days I forget to make my lunch the night before, I take this shake to work (make it at work with bottled water!!) and some veggies then I am set until supper. It is soy based with yogurt and honey and tastes and smells much better than some I have tried. I add a tbsp of cocoa (10 cals.) and almost convince myself it is a rich thick chocolate shake. Have tried it with frozen raspberries and eat it like ice cream. Vanilla extract adds a nice flavour as well. It is amazing what you can trick your mind into believing you are eating.
  • tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I use Garden of Life rice protein which is vegan and gluten free, unflavoured but I really like it, unsweetened almond milk and a little raw cocoa and good to go. (Not sure of availability on that side of the pond though?)

• binxbinx19
    binxbinx19 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love Tone It Up's Perfect Fit Protein Powder. It comes in Chocolate and Vanilla and it is dairy-free.
  • Chandrahayes78
    Chandrahayes78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've had Vega One even though I admire Brendan Brazier for his athleticism and commitment to plant based nutrition, the sweetener he uses is disgusting.

Garden of Eden makes a protein powder which is bland and blends in well with whatever you mix it up with or otherwise I used to chug it on it's own fairly easily with almond or coconut milk.

I also like Lean Clean Protein which is a European Pea Protein Powder. Personally the Smooth Vanilla flavor is my favorite but the Wild Strawberry is good as well. Again, I mix it in with bananas and berries, sometimes even coconut yoghurt and it enhances the flavor.

Good luck!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I've used Amazonia Raw - which I like - and Prana On - which I find too sweet. Neither I'd say is YUMMY but you get used to the taste. I add raw cocoa to the Amazonia Raw chocolate one in smoothies but have the Vanilla one in my oats int he morning with no added stuff. Prana On is very chocolatey but I find the stevia aftertaste too strong - like a Quest Bar. Bleh.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    This is good with peanut butter and banana: Olympian Labs Inc., Pea Protein, Chocolate Flavor.

(So I don't have to worry about running out of bananas, I buy big bunches and once they are ripe, peel them and freeze them.)
  • simply_cidalia
    simply_cidalia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A friend who was downsizing (moved back in with parents), gave me a package of Visalis Vi-shape powder in Sweet Cream flavor, and I really like it. Not gritty and not disgustingly sweet.
  • jcorl0913
    jcorl0913 Posts: 17 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Mrm veggie elite is what I use. In the mocha chocolate flavor. I love it. I can't make a shake around my 2 year old because he will drink it all.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I like Orgain chocolate, its just a little too sweet for my taste so I mix it with PB2 peanut butter powder.

However, in our smoothies we often add liquid egg whites. I drink the powdered protein by itself, the two together taste like a peanut butter cup. Dessert.