Protein bars/powder for weight loss?

Options
I'm trying to lose weight and after about a week of logging on mfp I've realized that my sugar is too high and protein too low. So I found a protein bar by Think Thin that has no sugar or gluten and a ton of protein like 20gm. I have been eating one for breakfast and it keeps me full until dinner with only eating a small snack inbetween like a banana. But my husband says that protein bars or powder will make you gain weight and so it's not for people trying to lose weight. Is this true even with the bar that has no sugar?

Replies

• VoiceWithNoValue
    VoiceWithNoValue Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You will gain weight if you eat above your TDEE. If you're still eating in a deficit, you'll lose weight.
  • brittellen0717
    brittellen0717 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    TDEE? What's that? I've been staying under my calorie goal ever day except once you find that's what you mean.
  • brittellen0717
    Options
    **if that's what you mean?
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    They contain calories and macronutrients just like anything else, just the same as a leaf of lettuce or a big mac.

Just like anything else, it's how you use those calories and macronutrients that matters.

You will lose body fat in a deficit, and gain in a surplus.

And just like anything else, protein bars/shakes/anything have no mystical qualities.
  • brittellen0717
    Options
    I know that weight won't fall off by eating them I just like the convience of opening it up and eating it with no prepare time and it keeps me full. But if it's working against me I'd rather do something else.
  • VoiceWithNoValue
    VoiceWithNoValue Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    TDEE is the amount of calories you burn daily.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/931670/bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide/p1

It'll explain TDEE better than I can. And it has link to a website that'll help you to count yours.
  • Dominicj569
    Dominicj569 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For weight, all that matters is calories

20gm isnt a "ton" of protein, a protein shake will roock up at around 60g and 250cal

TDEE is total daily energy expenditure, the number of calories you "burn" per day.
    Burn 2000 and eat 1500, lose weight
    Burn 2000 and eat 2500, gain weight

Doesnt matter if its broccoli or bigmacs
  • brittellen0717
    Options
    Thank you!! I'll take a look at that!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    how about cooking protein rich meals that fit under your calorie goals?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    They are not hindering you from losing weight at all. If you like them, continue on. :)
  • tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Try changing your diet at first place and consume proteins from natural food. Protein bars, powders etc, are diet supplements and are not intended for meal replacement. They can usually be useful when you are on a low calorie and high protein diet. In your case I wouldn't waste money for isolated protein products because you don't build muscles and in your case you can provide the amount of protein you need from normal food. Everything is down to calories when losing or gaining weight, so if you would consume so much protein products that would exceed number of calories that you need everyday, then all of that (not burn calories) would accumulate as fat.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    You don't need 4 threads on the same topic sweetie. You've gotten your answers more than once. If you eat more than your TDEE you will gain weight.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    oned34563 wrote: »
    I'm on the same position as you! I'm worried that protein bars will cause weight gsin

@oned34563 - Protein bars and powder do not cause weight gain. They help people get more protein in their diet and some (specifically meal replacement) have vitamins as well.

The only way to gain weight is to eat more calories than your body burns (aka TDEE). Your TDEE = BMR + daily activity + exercise (this is the simple explanation...there is more to TDEE than that).
    Mine for example is approximately 2200 on average. I won't gain weight eating protein bars unless they happen to take my total calories consumed over 2200.