Losing weight after appendix and Gul bladder surgery

Options
I was wondering if anyone had any advise on lose weight after have the surgery in the past. It seems since I had the surgery I can not lose any weight.

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    The removal of your gallbladder is not stopping you from losing weight.

To lose weight create a calorie deficit consistently over a sustained period of time.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I had my gal bladder out just over 3 years ago. I lost weight right after that - about 26 lbs. I gained it all back when I went through an emotional roller coaster (kidney surgery x5 and 3 family deaths in 6 months). I started losing again in late June and I have now lost 40 lbs. I am also 45 and perimenopausal and by weighing my food and making sure I get about 15k steps a day it has been fairly easy and steady.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    No gallbladder, no appendix, and, coincidentally choppie70, also 45.

Your gall bladder and appendix do some things for you.

They used to think the appendix didn't really do anything, but I've read recently that it acts as a reserve of good bacteria to replenish your gut after an illness. Haven't looked for a study to back that up though.

Practically speaking not having a gall bladder most often results in less ability to comfortably digest fatty/greasy food, so you might want to take low carb/high fat off your potential list of diet plans. Personally I do better with small frequent meals too.

Still, if you eat less than your body uses then you will lose weight.

So start with carefully measuring and tracking your intake.
  • insearchofcheese
    insearchofcheese Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've had my gallbladder out, my appendix out and arthroscopic surgery on both of my hips. Lost 80 lbs to date.
  • burri94
    burri94 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm not understanding they shouldn't stop me from losing weight. For the past 3 months I've tracked my calories and it's I have been keeping it between 1000 to 1500. Along with that I go to the gym everyday and run on the elliptical for at least 2 miles and lift weights. Nothing ever changes though it's kinda getting depressing.
  • cityruss
    Options
    burri94 wrote: »
    That's what I'm not understanding they shouldn't stop me from losing weight. For the past 3 months I've tracked my calories and it's I have been keeping it between 1000 to 1500. Along with that I go to the gym everyday and run on the elliptical for at least 2 miles and lift weights. Nothing ever changes though it's kinda getting depressing.

They aren't stopping you from losing weight. You're jumping to a conclusion that's false.

You aren't losing weight because you are not creating a calorie deficit over a sustained timeframe.

I'd suggest you answer lies elsewhere, like in your logging accuracy for example. You are a 21 year old male, who goes to the gym everyday and does cardio and weights, if you were truly eating 1000-1500 calories a day you would be dropping serious (read:dangerous) amounts of weight, made up of lots of lean muscle mass, connective tissue and the like. I'd assume over 3 months of doing so you would be struggling to consume adequate amounts of vitamins and minerals and would be deficient in several.

Anyway, open your diary and we can tell you more.
  • thewindblowsandthemoonglows
    Options
    I am not a nutritionist, but if you are exercising that much you are probably eating too few calories, not too many. My BMR is over 1500 calories and those are just the calories it takes to keep a body functioning without working out, so 1000 is causing you to go in starvation mode..and your body realllyyyy likes to hold on to lbs in starvation mode. You might find a BMR calculator and TDEE calculator helpful for weight loss.
  • cityruss
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I am not a nutritionist, but if you are exercising that much you are probably eating too few calories, not too many. My BMR is over 1500 calories and those are just the calories it takes to keep a body functioning without working out, so 1000 is causing you to go in starvation mode..and your body realllyyyy likes to hold on to lbs in starvation mode. You might find a BMR calculator and TDEE calculator helpful for weight loss.

This is not correct. Your body doesn't really like to hold on to fat. People wouldn't starve to death if that were the case.

Starvation mode as you use it is not a thing. Very small adaptions happen after prolonged periods of starvation where the body has depleted its body fat and begins to burn primarily lean tissue and muscle as a fuel source.

Then the body begins to degrade its own skeletal muscle for glucogenic amino acids to provide glucose to keep the brain functioning.

Then your cells will cannibalize critical molecules to produce amino acids for gluconeogenesis.

Then you die.

OP is not creating a calorie deficit over a sustained timeframe, if over 3 months he has not lost any weight.