Shaking?

Options
I always wondered, but never thought to ask. Just got done my first workout doing the 30 DS.....I know it happens to others and has me at different times, but when you work out, during and/or after....why do you get those muscle shakes/trembles??? What causes it? Thanks!!! Happy first day of summer!!! :)

Replies

• smumma4
    smumma4 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just started the 30 Day Shred yesterday to. My arms were shaking pretty bad when I was finished...not to much during the work out itself tho. Good luck with the Shred!!!!!
  • mjshorty5
    mjshorty5 Posts: 44
    Options
    Happens to me a lot if I start a new exercise I haven't done in a while. I think its because your muscles are over worked but I am not sure why that makes them shake. Its weird!
  • koehna
    koehna Posts: 1
    Options
    Read this maybe it will help. Livestrong seems to answer a lot of question that a few people have.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/430498-why-do-i-shake-when-i-exercise/

Good Luck,
    Anna
  • mamahafner
    mamahafner Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I found this on line. It makes sense to me.

Assuming you are in good health, shaking due to muscle exertion is called physiological tremor, and it is a normal phenomenon that occurs when muscles become fatigued or when limbs are used beyond their typical range of motion. The process is complex and not fully understood. Its partly a neurological and partly muscular response. When you have this type of tremor it is an indication that you have pushed yourself beyond your level of endurance. Your level of endurance (with respect to this type of tremor) is not just how much muscle you have, it also depends on your level of hydration, electrolyte balance, blood glucose level, amount of sleep, and muscle state. Your muscle state is affected by whether or not you have stretched and warmed up; and whether muscles have recovered from previous exertion.

I have the same issue as well. I was bending down yesterday and I felt as though my legs were going to buckle. LOL.

Just drink plenty of water and keep stretching before and after.
  • mixtapemusings
    mixtapemusings Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Your muscles are shaking because they are weak and being challenged. They aren't strong enough yet to breeze through the exercises. Its good because you know it isn't too easy. The stronger you get, the less you'll shake. Which will mean you'll have to change it up to keep challenging your muscles. :)
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I think it's because the muscles are tired. Make sure you're hydrated and make sure to take some rest in your workouts. Maybe a zero calorie sports drink would help too because they have potassium and sodium to replenish some of what you are losing.
    Good luck!
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I always wondered, but never thought to ask. Just got done my first workout doing the 30 DS.....I know it happens to others and has me at different times, but when you work out, during and/or after....why do you get those muscle shakes/trembles??? What causes it? Thanks!!! Happy first day of summer!!! :)

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-do-muscles-tremble-af

I am sure there are better layman explanations out there.

You have workled the muscle to fatigue, now the body is trying to catch up to the chemical response of muscle contraction and relaxtion and recovery, since the chemical reaction can't happen fast enough, you get the shaking.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!!!! So basically my muscles are saying "You're kidding, right??"...:happy: