Shakes and Light Headedness

Options
LoCascio65
LoCascio65 Posts: 11 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I work out first thing in the morning. I generally grab myself a protein bar. Kelloggs it's low calorie and a Zip Fizz which is 10 calories full of vitamin B12 and other essential vitamins. I do the elipticle for 35 minutes and burn around 330 calories in that time. I will then have my breakfast usually a bowl of oatmeal with coconut milk with Blueberries, and 1 cage free brown egg boiled. Late morning Greek Yogurt usually Oikes Triple Zero, I have noticed lately I get the shakes really bad and just feel like I could pass out. I am not sure if it is just blood sugar levels are causing this or not. ( I am not diabetic ) It also makes me feel a little fatigued. I don't like this feeling. Not sure what is causing this. Any ideas. Working out and eating healthy is suppose to make you feel good, not feel bad. Thanks for your opinions.

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Not enough information. You could be eating too little and not fueling your body enough. Or it could be something else. It's hard to say with the data you've provided. The food listed may or may not fuel your workout but what is fueling your body?
  • ladymuireann
    ladymuireann Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It could be a number of things.. Maybe you have a food intolerance? Whole grain can make me feel tired, get headaches, and make me feel unable to concentrate.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day? How many pounds are you set to lose per week on MFP?
  • cJOYv6881
    cJOYv6881 Posts: 72 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    As others have said, it's kind of hard to tell. A trip to the doctor to check your blood sugar levels might be a good place to start. If that's fine, they might still have a better idea of what it might be. I have low blood sugar and often get light-headed and/or dizzy between meals, but this has happened whether I'm eating 2000 calories or 1200.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I've had problems working out in the morning. A few years ago I switched from post work to pre work gym sessions, and I started going blind on the train commute. I would stay conscious but completely black out. Pretty scary. Dr ran tests, nothing found. Switched back to evening workouts.
    That being said, I don't seem to have any problems going for a morning run these days, maybe it's the different type of workout, maybe it's whatever problem I had back then has gone away.
  • bologna111
    bologna111 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I work out in the am. If I eat before hand my blood sugar drops low after and I feel just like you described. If I work out fasted and wait to eat breakfast until after 10am. I have no blood sugar problems at all. Lyle McDonald has an article on his website about why this happens to some people.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am prone to drops in blood sugar and their attendant symptoms in the mid-morning if I eat certain things. I work 12 hour shifts, and have breakfast around 5-530, and typically a snack around 0900. When that snack used to be a granola bar with a lot of added sugars, I would often crash hard between 1030 and 11. By switching it out for a protein bar, I'm fine.

It's also possible it's your total calorie intake being too low, or a symptom of a more serious problem, but tweaking what you eat and when can sometimes help and is easy to try.
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If I take my vitamins (which includes a B vitamin mix) without eating enough first I get the icky-yucky shaky feeling. I'm also sensitive to energy drinks that include B12. Maybe the zip fizz thing has too much for you?
  • rmntrose2
    rmntrose2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think its the energy drink and/or you arent eating the right amount for your body.I crash hard on energy drinks if I am late at all in getting a good amount of food. I think you need to find the right time to eat while drinking energy drinks and the right food that picks you back up when you start to crash. That or cut out the energy drink. If feeling weak, shaking and tired is a side effect of the drink, I'd personally rather just stay tired lol. But after a workout I'm usually wide awake anyway.
  • jd_racer
    jd_racer Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    knelson095 wrote: »
    If I take my vitamins (which includes a B vitamin mix) without eating enough first I get the icky-yucky shaky feeling. I'm also sensitive to energy drinks that include B12. Maybe the zip fizz thing has too much for you?

I would agree with everyone (I know that's not much help), but there isn't enough info to really nail it down. My first though was the B12 though also. Second, low sugars. Without a med history or more info (which you might not want to put on a forum), you might be better asking your doc.
  • LoCascio65
    LoCascio65 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I remedied the problem. The Zip Fizz I took that morning and I had additional Vitamin B12 Nature made Vitamins I took. My niece who is an RN said too much Vitamin B12 did it to me. She said cut back to 2-3 Zipp Fizz a week. I had my glucose back in September it was good. This morning I didn't take any B12 and I felt better.
  • jd_racer
    jd_racer Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    ...(walks off slowly into the sunset)