Question for the ladies :)

Hey all,

Fairly new to MyFitnessPal, on my 35th day- pretty new to the lifestyle change as well. Been walking, cycling, swimming, and hiking so far.

However, I've been stopped dead in my tracks by my ungodly painful period. I'm finding it hard to get up out of bed (the meds sometimes dont do much) and been reaching for more sweet/greasy things as of late. I've been told exercise can help with the pain, but my last walk wasn't pleasant.

I'm only on day 2, so my question to you lovely gals out there is how do you cope with it? Do you take the whole week off to rest, or when you feel upto it do you go for it? I want to try create some sort of plan for when this hits, so I can be kind to myself without being too comfortable and wasting any potential.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I prepare for the cravings by saving some calories, allowing myself a bit more, or baking/coming up with my own lower calorie compromises-as I like to have a lot of volume.

I RARELY skip a workout due to a period, but I did yesterday for the first time in a long time. I got 5 hours of horrible sleep, had cramps, was up crying all night with my boyfriend...I just couldn't get up. But, I hit that workout today and felt great. I will only skip a training session if I know there is another day left in the week to make it up.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Personally, I usually push through it. When it's bad, I'll take a day or two off. I do find that a good workout will help, but sometimes it's just too much. I guess that doesn't really help :frowning:
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    edited February 2016
    I usually try my darnedest to exercise, as if I can force myself through the start of a workout, when the endorphins hit they are the best pain killer I've found, as they don't just alleviate the pain, they help my mood and also regulate my cravings.
    But yes, sometimes I just can't, and in those instances I treat it like being sick: being kind to myself, maybe having a couple of extra pieces of chocolate and a glass of red wine, and then getting back on board as soon as I physically can.
    To make a true lifestyle change you have to accept that there will be 'bad' days as well as 'good': it's how you respond to the bad days that determines how successful you'll be.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    I 1st always increase my Calories by 100 everyday, when I begin retaining water (become thirsty) & throughout my entire period because my body is doing extra work. Other than that, just do what you're able to & don't worry about what you aren't able to. Also remember that your going to gain water weight, mine's approximately 5 pounds & an inch around my waist (I don't measure anywhere else), your gains might be more or less; before & during your period.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    I am someone for whom exercise makes the cramps even worse. I shift to maintenance and curl up and die for those few days. And you'll probably see the number on the scale go higher, because you're retaining water. It'll come back off.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Please go see a doctor, @bendyourkneekatie . You may have one or more cysts. Ovulation and menstruation should not be painful.
  • arditarose
    trjjoy wrote: »
    Please go see a doctor, @bendyourkneekatie . You may have one or more cysts. Ovulation and menstruation should not be painful.

Says who? Aren't cramps pretty normal?
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Gah! I meant to tag @bethanylawrence824
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Haha, since I was tagged, even mistakenly, I'll answer that I have been to see my gp, as my pain, particularly ovulation pain, skyrocketed after having my second child. She said I could get a scan but was pretty ambivalent about it and didn't think there'd be much to be done other than bc and/or time.
  • 165hereicome
    165hereicome Posts: 26 Member
    I keep my workouts light and easy during that time. Intense workouts tend to increase my flow shortly after I'm done leading to more cramps. Sometimes I put on my workout clothes and end up just stretching or dancing to some tunes. I spend more time focusing on what I eat that week because it's so easy for me to reach for chocolate and chips. Today I allowed myself to enjoy those snacks and extra calories with no guilt. Tomorrow is a new day. Listen to your body and don't beat yourself up.
  • arditarose
    Haha, since I was tagged, even mistakenly, I'll answer that I have been to see my gp, as my pain, particularly ovulation pain, skyrocketed after having my second child. She said I could get a scan but was pretty ambivalent about it and didn't think there'd be much to be done other than bc and/or time.

Yeah I've been checked out too. I have had bad cramps since I first got my period, and I have had painful ovulation since I stopped birth control.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    The first 2-3 days are usually out for me, except for some gentle yoga if I'm not too tied to my heating pad. But my cramps are abnormal (endometriosis), so it's really clear when I can't exercise. I would think you'd have to take it day-by-day and not plan for the whole week off. But if they are that bad for the whole week, then do, of course!

It really just depends on how bad you feel and whether exercise helps or hurts it, etc. Movement does make mine worse on those bad days, but slow stretching still feels good to the rest of my muscles.
  • Thanks girls for all your responses :)
    I don't think I need to see a doc, the periods seem to come in odd and even doses of painful and mild. This was just one of the awful painful ones.
    Since I didnt prep, I had a binge and missed a few workouts, but will have plenty of handy hints for next time!
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    I pretty much eat at maintenance and spend my whole week in bed around my period. I'm not even concerned about weight loss.
  • NikkiMichelleS
    NikkiMichelleS Posts: 897 Member
    The first 2-3 days are usually out for me, except for some gentle yoga if I'm not too tied to my heating pad. But my cramps are abnormal (endometriosis), so it's really clear when I can't exercise. I would think you'd have to take it day-by-day and not plan for the whole week off. But if they are that bad for the whole week, then do, of course!

It really just depends on how bad you feel and whether exercise helps or hurts it, etc. Movement does make mine worse on those bad days, but slow stretching still feels good to the rest of my muscles.

Ditto here
    For those with severe pains (like serious stuck-in-bed-call-in-sick pain), consider Dr visit. I also suffer from endometriosis, which is often undiagnosed or overlooked. Until the pain in my back became too much, Dr finally agreed & the ultrasound revealed a grapefruit size endometroma. The next year I lost an ovary due to another unexpected/undetected endometroma that caused tube to twist. Anyway -- serious pain IS cause for concern.

Otherwise, I agree with raising your calories (I go up 100-300cals, depending). That really helps me. I accept that I may gain a bit, but it honestly evens out.
    I *try* to exercise, but just do what I can. It may just be easy yoga, but sometimes I can do more, like go for a run. I've found walking to be the best for me. My Drs told me exercise "really helps", but I don't always find that to be true for me during my periods.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I only get moderate cramps now I'm on the pill (which also controls my acne). I used to come close to fainting, hot flushes, nausea and crying painful cramps. I was tested and it was all clear. Some women just draw the short straw with menstrual cramps. And it was just the on ovary that had it in for me as it would happen every second cycle, like clockwork!

Now I find I can work through it although I do have a couple of weak days so have to take it a bit easier. But if I still had it like I used to I'd be in bed with a hot water bottle and eating at maintenance.