The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift & @Elise4270 Ouch for both of you's. I think I rather have a really serious gaping wound than those scrapes. At least the big wounds are so bad that you do nerve damage and can't feel it. But those scrapes just look like they sting real bad.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Five miles in today for 26.5/25 (late start) - knees are giving me trouble; wish I could snap my fingers and ten pounds would just drop off. Running comfortably and racing: my greatest motivation for losing a little weight.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @louubelle16 I fell in high-school when we did trials on gym class. It was a 50 m sprint and I fell half way. Sprained my wrist (which still sometimes hurts by this date, never healed properly). Luckily nothing else major except bruises and scratches.

Oh and the entire school saw me.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @AdrianChr92 Ouch! Bruise to the ego! My last fall that I took, I sprained my wrist. Right before midterms. So fun ;)
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Almost got hit by a car this morning crossing the street (in a cross walk). I have to cross twice and going the direction I chose to go first probably save my life. One car stopped giving a sense of security to cross, unfortunately the 2nd closer car just zoomed on through without even slowing. Have to say all the drivers in the other stopped cars were pretty shocked. The good news though is that my trail entrance is not back open so I can come home that way without having to loop all the way around.

That sort of thing really gets your heart rate up, even when you've been running a while! I'm glad you're okay.

The worst driver behavior I've seen was on a training run in Mendon Ponds Park. In the late part of a marathon training distance, a car moved all the way into the other lane to give us room . . . and the jerk in an SUV behind them passed on the right, in the traffic lane right next to us.

That wasn't all that great a physical danger, as we had enough shoulder to stay out of the jerk's way in single file. But it was striking, because this was a major training program event. Anyone leaving the park at that time should have been a runner who had already completed a shorter assignment than we were running. You'd think they would know better.

Since then, I've decided that the safest thing I can do is assume all drivers are inobservant, self-centered maniacs. That way, I won't have very many unpleasant surprises. At least, not until I encounter an *observant*, self-centered maniac.
  • MobyCarp
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays - Congratulations on finishing your first half, and on learning stuff from it. As to water and fuel, those will become more important when you're running for time rather than running just to finish. I think I took one gel in my first half; I expect to take 2 in a half now and would not be shocked if I happen to need 3. There are a couple of theories with carrying water. Some runners don't like to carry it because they think the extra weight slows them down. I like to carry it because I think I lose less time from the added weight than I would from using the water stops on the course. I'm not very efficient at drinking from a wax paper cup while running at race pace, and I have no real opportunity to practice outside races. In a full marathon, I will be compelled to take water from the water stops as much as possible because I can't carry enough to last 26 miles; but I can make it through a half in reasonable weather on the 20 ounces (~1.2 litres) that I carry on my hydration belt.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    01-Feb: 8.61 miles
    02-Feb: 4.26 miles
    03-Feb: 3.11 miles
    04-Feb: 4.32 miles
    05-Feb: 4.75 miles
    06-Feb: 9.28 miles
    07-Feb: <Life Day>
    08-Feb: 4.78 miles
    09-Feb: 7.48 miles
    10-Feb: 3.47 miles
    11-Feb: 0.00 miles plus 2.12 miles (walk)
    12-Feb: 4.69 miles
    13-Feb: 7.62 miles
    14-Feb: <Life Day>
    15-Feb: 6.74 miles
    16-Feb: 7.52 miles
    17-Feb: 3.29 miles
    18-Feb: 8.80 miles
    19-Feb: 4.40 miles
    20-Feb: 9.91 miles
    21-Feb: <Life Day>
    22-Feb: 7.64 miles
    23-Feb: 4.44 miles
    24-Feb: <Surgery>
    25-Feb: <Recuperation>
    26-Feb: <Recuperation>
    27-Feb: <Recuperation> but 5.66 miles (walk)
    28-Feb: <Life Day>
    29-Feb:

exercise.png

Yes, I am claiming walking miles. Always have, always will. But especially when they get me over the goal. Still prob NOT gonna run anymore this month. Just lots of walking. We'll see what March holds....

Upcoming Races:
    19-Mar: Cherry Blossom 10K, Macon, GA
    02-Apr: Run 2 End Alzheimer's 10.5K, Bonaire, GA
    16-Apr: Running for Ronald 10K or 15K, Macon, GA
    04-Jul: Peachtree Road Race 10K, Atlanta, GA
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @5BeautifulDays - Congratulations on finishing your first half, and on learning stuff from it. As to water and fuel, those will become more important when you're running for time rather than running just to finish. I think I took one gel in my first half; I expect to take 2 in a half now and would not be shocked if I happen to need 3. There are a couple of theories with carrying water. Some runners don't like to carry it because they think the extra weight slows them down. I like to carry it because I think I lose less time from the added weight than I would from using the water stops on the course. I'm not very efficient at drinking from a wax paper cup while running at race pace, and I have no real opportunity to practice outside races. In a full marathon, I will be compelled to take water from the water stops as much as possible because I can't carry enough to last 26 miles; but I can make it through a half in reasonable weather on the 20 ounces (~1.2 litres) that I carry on my hydration belt.

I'm with you on the water. I use a hand-held bottle, so I use the pocket to carry gels/dried fruit, and then I can have my own sports drink. I try to drink water at the water stops, but I end up sloshing it all over myself no matter how hard I try. So half the time I just run through the middle and drink my own; I only start drinking from aid stations when the crowds thin and it's not such a cluster. I agree that it doesn't really slow me down; I train with it so it's not as if it is an extra race day burden.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    February Running Totals (miles)
    [1/31 – 14.01 easy with hills]
    2/1 – 6.08 easy + 4 strides
    2/2 – 9.73 warm up, speed work, cool down
    2/3 – 6.30 group run
    2/4 – 11.04 long speed work
    2/5 – scheduled rest day
    2/6 – 15.00 long speed work
    Weekly total 62.16 vs. target 62

2/7 – 11.35 easy 1.5 hour
    2/8 – 5.96 easy + 4 strides
    2/9 – 11.08 warm up, speed work, cool down
    2/10 – 6.01 easy
    2/11 – 11.75 warm up, speed work, cool down
    2/12 – scheduled rest day
    2/13 – 22 on inside track
    Weekly total 68.15 vs. target 68

2/14 – 12.64 easy 100 minutes
    2/15 – 6.06 easy
    2/16 – unplanned rest day – Winter Storm Olympia
    2/17 – 9.53 long speed work
    2/18 – 14 long speed work
    2/19 – 4.03 easy instead of planned rest day
    2/20 – 10.18 easy + 6 light workout
    Weekly total 62.43 vs. target 62

2/21 – 9.83 warmup, 2 x 5K at MP, cooldown
    2/22 – 6.10 easy + 4 strides
    2/23 – 10.20 warm up, speed work, cool down
    2/24 – rescheduled rest day
    2/25 – 7.57 aborted speed work
    2/26 – extra rest day
    2/27 – 13.95 with 8:30 pace group
    Weekly total 47.65 vs. target 68; recovery from bad cold needed rest

February total to date – 226.38

Goal – 62 or 68 miles per week, per training plan
    Expected February total - 262 to 265 miles

Today's notes – The cold that aborted Thursday's speed workout turned nasty on Friday. I reported off sick from work and spent most of Friday horizontal. Didn't know until I got up this morning whether I'd be able to run at all, but I felt good enough to get dressed and show up to pace for the training group. The senior 8:30 pacer was out, and no one wanted a 8:00 pace, so I paced the 8:30 group. Slowing down that much was a good thing for me today.

My training assignment was 20-22 miles with hills. The program called for me to pace 7, 12, or 14 miles. The original plan was to pace 14 miles and go run hills for the rest of my training assignment. The weather feed reports a temperature of 27° F (-3° C), but it felt colder to me while standing around waiting to start. It got better when we got moving. This week, we hit several stop lights red. That's usually annoying, but for me this was a good week for that to happen. I got to feeling better after the first 3 or 4 miles, and it turned into a pleasant run.

At mile 13, my Garmin reported low battery. Say what? I've had power issues, but low batter in under 2 hours is ridiculous! Sure enough, the battery died entirely shortly before we finished the assigned route. The last mileage I saw on the watch before it died was 13.83, and I estimate it would have been 13.95 when we finished.

I had been debating whether I should run another 8 miles of hills. If the Garmin had behaved as expected, I might have done so. But not having my tech toy, plus the nagging doubt that I might make the remnants of a cold worse if I pushed too hard, made the decision. I called it a day at 14 miles including a few baby hills.

In theory, I could have gone and run another 8 miles after recharging the Garmin. In practice, time and circumstance got in the way and I became more convinced that treating today conservatively was the right thing to do. So the week came in short, and the day came in short. But I feel better now than I did in the morning, and I expect to feel better yet tomorrow morning.

Hopefully tomorrow I can be back on track with the scheduled training plan.

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @MobyCarp - Not sure if all races are the same, but at each of the fulls I have run I carried my water bottle allowing me to skip several aid stations. When it was empty I asked for a refill at the next aud station. Each time the had pitchers they were using to fill cups and just filled my bottle from the pitchers. I wanted to beat the cutoff times!! :lol::lol::lol:
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @kristinegift Ouch!!
    @Elise4270 Ouch x2!!
    I have never fallen in the winter but did a fall when I was tripped by a piece of rusty wire laying in the grass beside a bush trail last Autumn. I caught just enough of it to drive my Toe into the ground. Fortunately I had on a pair of cycling - fingerless gloves so when I drove into the ground/rocks no hand damage.

12.3 km with the Hill Climbers. I did 2 hills where they did 4 hills and 23 km ( Buggers do a HM on the Hills!! )
    34.5 km left to reach my goal. Probably be 20 short when its all done.

exercise.png

02/01 – 0.0 Km – 140 km – 150.8 Km
    02/06 – 9.0 Km – 9.0 – 131 – 159.8 Km
    02/07 – 21.1 Km – 30.1 - 109.9 – 180.9 Km
    02/08 – 6.0 Km – 36.1 - 103.9 – 186.9 Km
    02/10 – 8.0 Km – 44.1 - 95.9 – 194.9 Km
    02/13 – 9.0 Km – 53.1 – 86.9 – 203.9 Km
    02/14 – 6.0 Km – 59.1 – 80.9 – 209.9 Km
    02/17 – 6.0 Km – 65.1 – 74.9 – 215.9 Km
    02/21 –21.1 Km – 86.2 – 53.8 – 238.0 Km
    02/26 –7.0 Km – 93.2 – 46.8 – 245.0 Km
    02/27 –12.3 Km – 105.5 – 34.5 – 257.3 Km
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    @MobyCarp - Not sure if all races are the same, but at each of the fulls I have run I carried my water bottle allowing me to skip several aid stations. When it was empty I asked for a refill at the next aud station. Each time the had pitchers they were using to fill cups and just filled my bottle from the pitchers. I wanted to beat the cutoff times!! :lol::lol::lol:

In the only full marathon I've run, I made a point of drinking water from the wax paper cups at all the early aid stations when I was running slow and still had lots of energy. That was a lot easier than taking water from an aid station in a 5K or 10K or even a half when I'm pushing for time. By late in the race, it was just too much effort to push over to the aid station; I was glad to have water left in my bottle at that point. Oh, and it helped that they handed out half liter water bottles about mile 18; that extended the life of my hydration belt, too.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    whatang wrote: »
    1 mile slow warm up this morning, followed by 5k Parkrun. Got a pb - 24:08 - which I really wasn't expecting given that I did 7 miles last night. I think it helped that the supposed 28 minute pacer went out of the gate like an absolute demon, she ran the first mile in something like 7:50! I do pity the people that thought they were supposed to be keeping pace with her. I was planning to just sort of noodle along and come in around 25-26 minutes, but the whole field was just caning it as a result of this pacer so I just went with it. By the time I hit mile 2 at 15:26 I just thought screw it, might as well keep it up and see how I do!

Great moment at the start too. There was a lady running with a dog and when everyone got going he got a bit excited and just took off, dragging his owner with him. The sight of her disappearing into the distance wailing at her dog to stop was a pretty comical way to start the morning :smiley:

Yay, @whatang !

That's an awesome time! Excellent job!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Feb 1 - 4.1 km
    Feb 6 - 5.2 km
    Feb 8 - 5.3 km
    Feb 10 - 4.1 km
    Feb 11 – Hurt my back
    Feb 15 – 6 km
    Feb 17 – 4.1 km
    Feb 20 – 5 km - PB at parkrun!
    Feb 22 – 4.3 km
    Feb 24 – 4.2 km
    Feb 27 – 8.6 km

Total 50.9 km
    Goal 45 km - Achieved!

Upcoming/Done:
    Willaura Farm to Pub 8.6 km – Saturday Feb 27 – Woo hoo, ran all the way! PB distance!

36D7B64A-4ED5-419C-8D69-F0BB095337B0_zpsn3s4ksgk.jpg
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Orphia congratulations on the PB and making your monthly goal!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Getting close to the goal, as I got in 5 miles yesterday, and another 10 today with a neighbor doing a slow run at his 12/mile pace. It was pretty depressing when I uploaded the 10 mile run, and saw that my calorie burn for it was 611, or only 61/mile. I guess when I'm not getting my heart rate much above 110 BPM at that pace, I can't expect to burn much fat. Still, off for some biking tomorrow, and given I did my long run Thursday, I'll resume my speedwork tomorrow night as it has been 7 days since my 15K race.

2/1 - 4 miles (up/down part of Park City mountain through 2 feet of powder)
    2/2 - 5.5 miles
    2/3 - 1 miles (pre lifting warmup)
    2/4 - 10 miles (7 mile tempo run + 3 recovery)
    2/5 - 5 miles
    2/6 - 10 miles
    2/8 - 9 miles
    2/9 - 12 miles (w. 3x15 min @ 7:15/mile pace w. 90 sec recovery)
    2/10 - 5 miles
    2/11 - 12 miles (8 miles speedwork + 4 mile late recovery run)
    2/12 - 1 mile (pre lifting warmup)
    2/13 - 10 miles
    2/15 - 4 miles
    2/16 - 5 miles (threshold run w. 3 @ 7 pace in middle)
    2/17 - 10 miles
    2/18 - 5.5 miles (w. 10x0.25 repeats @ 5:30/mile w. 30 sec recovery)
    2/20 - 15k race (6:39 pace, 89/5500)
    2/22 - 7 miles
    2/23 - 8 miles
    2/24 - 7 miles
    2/25 - 18 miles
    2/26 - 5 miles
    2/27 - 10 miles

Total: 173 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 7 miles

Upcoming Races:
    Half Ironman - Florida 70.3 - Apr 10
    Marathon - Pittsburgh - May 1
    Half Ironman - Augusta 70.3 - Sep 25
    Marathon - Chicago - Oct 9 (if accepted)
    Ironman - Florida - Nov 5
  • whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    whatang wrote: »
    1 mile slow warm up this morning, followed by 5k Parkrun. Got a pb - 24:08 - which I really wasn't expecting given that I did 7 miles last night. I think it helped that the supposed 28 minute pacer went out of the gate like an absolute demon, she ran the first mile in something like 7:50! I do pity the people that thought they were supposed to be keeping pace with her. I was planning to just sort of noodle along and come in around 25-26 minutes, but the whole field was just caning it as a result of this pacer so I just went with it. By the time I hit mile 2 at 15:26 I just thought screw it, might as well keep it up and see how I do!

Great moment at the start too. There was a lady running with a dog and when everyone got going he got a bit excited and just took off, dragging his owner with him. The sight of her disappearing into the distance wailing at her dog to stop was a pretty comical way to start the morning :smiley:

Yay, @whatang !

That's an awesome time! Excellent job!
    Thanks! My theory about the pacer throwing everyone off might be right. It turns out that from a field of 156 runners yesterday, there were 67 PBs!
  • whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Feb 1 - 4.1 km
    Feb 6 - 5.2 km
    Feb 8 - 5.3 km
    Feb 10 - 4.1 km
    Feb 11 – Hurt my back
    Feb 15 – 6 km
    Feb 17 – 4.1 km
    Feb 20 – 5 km - PB at parkrun!
    Feb 22 – 4.3 km
    Feb 24 – 4.2 km
    Feb 27 – 8.6 km

Total 50.9 km
    Goal 45 km - Achieved!

Upcoming/Done:
    Willaura Farm to Pub 8.6 km – Saturday Feb 27 – Woo hoo, ran all the way! PB distance!

36D7B64A-4ED5-419C-8D69-F0BB095337B0_zpsn3s4ksgk.jpg

@Orphia wow, that's a great week you've had: a 5k PB AND a distance PB AND you've made goal for the month. Way to go!
  • sleepigrl
    sleepigrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    2/3 - 3 miles
    2/6 - 4 miles - first ever beach run!
    2/10 - 2 miles (actually, this was a brisk walk but I'm gonna count it!)
    2/11 - 3.5 miles
    2/14 - 2 miles
    2/15 - 2 mile walk with the little dog (not counting this below)
    2/16 - 2 miles
    2/18 - 2 mile walk (not counted)
    2/19 - 3 miles
    2/20 - 3 mile walk (not counted)
    2/22 - 4.3 miles
    2/24 - 2.5 miles

exercise.png

• dominichoran
    dominichoran Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A difficult week mentally, still feeling under the weather so every mile feels just that little bit harder. Rolling the dice a little and hoping I come out the other side unscathed.

Thu: Wicklow Race Series 3k - 4th 9:58

Got a little pre race run in at lunch time and spent a little time stretching. Headed on down in plenty of time on what was a chilly evening with only a hint of a breeze.

A short warm up with Gary and then I focused on mobility exercises and a few strides. Met Gary back at the car and we ambled up to the start. After a bit of traffic dodging and a moments silence to mark the passing of Breda Synnott we were called to our mark.

Got a good start and led the group out for the 1st 150 or so, then the eventual top 3 came past settling into what would eventually be their final finishing positions, Timmaay leading with KC and a Parnell runner in close attendance. The 1st k is primarily straight down the port road, before turning on to the prom, my watch clocks it at 3:18 and I've 2 challengers in close attendance.

Keep the pace up along the prom focusing on form and as we pass through what will be the finish line next time around I hear 4:57-4:58-4:59 from one of the officials as we pass through halfway. Come under a little pressure from behind here, but I exit the turns well and begin to pull away. A 3:23 k and I've a bit of work left to get under 10mins.

Make it to the prom section again and I begin to stride out for home, start to close on 3rd for a while but with 250 to go he also picks up the pace, so t he gap never improved. Close it out in 3:17 for 9:58, cough up a lung and then head on a warm down with Gary and Joe.

Was glad to get home to a warm shower and the fire on.

Saturday had planned to do the parkrun in Shanganagh, but my glute was tight during the warm up so just kept going at an easy pace and headed on out to Dalkey for a bit of sightseeing before making my way back.

Up early on Sunday as I wanted to get back for the 2nd half of Luke's match and out for 22 @ 7:25 pace. I find this run the most difficult mentally, long and slow with no pace variation, but time on the feet is important, looking forwarding to mixing it up a bit next week.

1 more up cycle week, before a recovery week beckons - looking forward to that.

25317935566_e7f880ec67_b.jpg

Running Totals
    WTD: 81.4 [131.0]
    MTD: 305.6 [491.6]
    YTD: 655.7 [1055.1]
    Races YTD: 4
    Master's PB: 0
    Weight: 71.2kg