College life, while being healthy? HELP!

Options
Im in college and none of my friends eat healthy so it's hard to keep at it sometimes, how do you guys stay motivated? Or what kind of guilt free snacks do you keep around that are budget friendly?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to the cafeteria? Get their nutritional information and make good choices. Look for protein items that are steamed, baked, broiled. (Limit fried or served with sauces)
  • awolfamonglilacs
    awolfamonglilacs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you are able to cook your own meals but meal prep has been a life saver for me. Its important to make sure you're eating meals you enjoy though or else you'll just end up choosing junk food over what you've prepped.

Also, don't deprive yourself of good food. Eat intuitivly and treat yourself from time to time. It's ok to eat a slice of pizza.. just dont go eating a whole box every night.

Everything in moderation! Listen to your body, eat when you're hungry, try to make smart choices and you should be good to go!
  • stephchadz
    stephchadz Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If you have access to the nutrition information for the dining hall definitely use it. Most of the foods my dining hall has are in the database here (Aramark).

As for snacks, I keep oatmeal, bananas, apples, yogurt and rice cakes. I also have a bag of Hershey kisses for when I want something sweet.

Also I told all of my friends about myfitnesspal and they decided to start using it too. So that's helped a lot.
  • paymentm
    paymentm Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I asked my some of my friends if they wanted to come to some of the free gym classes that they offer at my univoserty like yoga and step classes. That got some of them to come almost every week, it's great to have a gym buddy!

My dinning Hall in residence is an all you can eat buffet so it's difficult but I try to overload on the salad bar and stay away from the grill. It sucks when I'm munching on celery and they have a burger or dessert but think about how good your body will feel after it gets nutritious food rather than greasy!

Also, focus on short term goals rather than long because it's easy to lose track of your ideals when cramming for a midterm and all you want is pizza.

But it's hard! If you want some motivation from me feel free to add and we can try and motivate each other :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    make new friends ;)
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    paymentm wrote: »
    I asked my some of my friends if they wanted to come to some of the free gym classes that they offer at my univoserty like yoga and step classes. That got some of them to come almost every week, it's great to have a gym buddy!

My dinning Hall in residence is an all you can eat buffet so it's difficult but I try to overload on the salad bar and stay away from the grill. It sucks when I'm munching on celery and they have a burger or dessert but think about how good your body will feel after it gets nutritious food rather than greasy!

Also, focus on short term goals rather than long because it's easy to lose track of your ideals when cramming for a midterm and all you want is pizza.

But it's hard! If you want some motivation from me feel free to add and we can try and motivate each other :)

Free classes at the university gym were such a god-send for me that I started teaching them myself!

Like you, OP, none of my friends are especially health nuts, but just having the community of people from the fitness classes were enough for me. I also decided recently to join my university's rugby team, which should be a lot of fun! I also take the chance to walk as far as I can whenever possible.

Another thing that helped a lot was joining challenges on MFP (like the Hogwarts challenge) because you make a lot of good friends there who can help you with your goals.