give me your opinion

Options
Ok, recenty I have been back to eating healthy and going to the gym a lot. According to this site I should be eating around 1400 calories to lose a pound and a half a week. Yesterday I didnt eat all my calories and I burned about 700 calories at the gym. I get on the scale this morning and I am up a pound. I have heard that I should be eating my exercise calories, but I just wasnt hungry and that is a lot of calories to eat back. Do you think I gained that pound by not eating enough food and burning too many calories...I really need help because i want to do the "mathematic" part of dieting right!!!:sad:

Replies

• vitamina19
    vitamina19 Posts: 30
    Options
    Water. Anything that you gain that quickly is water. How much did you drink yesterday? Believe it or not the more water you drink, the less your body will store.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    One day of undereating will not make you gain weight
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing every day. You'll drive yourself insane.

Women particularly put on a lot of water weight throughout the day and that can vary quite a bit throughout the month too.
  • emmajones321
    emmajones321 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Deffo wait to see how it averages out over the week as there are lots of reasons for day to day fluctuations :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    No. It takes several weeks at low calorie levels to go into starvation mode. I went under the 1200 calorie mark yesterday by 35 calories and lost 3.2 pounds overnight (I have a lot to lose). I didn't do it on purpose. Like you I just didn't want to eat anymore.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Large amounts of salt will make the scale go up, make sure to drink lots of water.
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree with the water statement...or, not to be gross...maybe you need to go to the bathroom. When I weight myself, I make sure I'm empty, if you know what I mean.
  • jammyone
    jammyone Posts: 80
    Options
    Do you want to lose weight or lose fat?

Exercise will make you GAIN weight, but lose fat.

As long as you're eating enough protein and exercising you're going to find improvement in your bodyfat levels and general fitness.
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I read a lot of people we gain weight rather than lose thier first week or two. . I did. I know a lot of poeple tell me to eat back all my exercise calories, but I just plain and simple can't. I eat light yougurt in the mornings for breakfast, but if i find myself WAY under on caloires at night I will eat a normal yogurt, that way its not junk food, but it's still food with calories find your "yogurt"
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    One thing I just found out, if you are sore from working out, your muscles are storing water as well. But like the others have said make sure you're getting enough in.
  • blondie_girl14
    blondie_girl14 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I dont think I am drinking enough water, and YES I should stay off that damn scale and just weigh once a week.
    Thanks for all the input!
    I just wasnt sure if I was eating too little!
  • blondie_girl14
    blondie_girl14 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Should I be eating my exercise/left over calories??
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Should I be eating my exercise/left over calories??

It depends on how fast you want to lose. Some would recommend it, and I definitely would if you aren't trying to lose a lot. But it is not going to hurt to go under or over once in awhile. Actually, going over occassionally can help with plateaus.