30 Day Shred Help

Options
tkb1985
tkb1985 Posts: 146 Member
Hi All!

I've been doing the 30 day shred (not every day I must add, but usually about 3 days a week) and while it's getting easier, and I look forward to maybe starting level 2 soon, I'm REALLY struggling with press-ups. I just don't seem to be able to do more than about 10, and I'm pretty sure the ones I'm doing aren't technically very good.
I do also struggle a bit with the weight training parts of each cycle, (except the chest fly's for some reason) but can generally push through those OK, and am definitely getting better and stronger. It just doesn't seem to be happening with the Press-ups.

Any suggestions? I'd really love to be able to do them for as long as I'm meant to.

Edit - FYI - I'm doing the knee press-ups, not full ones.

Replies

• H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I say just do whatever you can, push yourself....and in no time, you'll be able to do them all :) Good luck!
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    use less heavy weights or use no weights at all, but still do the movements (contract and release those muscles being used if you use no weights). Or you could do every other repitition to work your way up. As long as you are moving and trying it is okay. The goal is to work your way up. Once it gets easier you can add heavier weights or go to level 2.
    I am in level 2 and beleive me it is harder then level 1.

Are you talking about push ups? If that is the case still maintain the knee to make it easier and do what you can.Eventually you will see a difference. I start out with regualr but end with knee! For me push ups seem such an ackward movement for me. Nevertheless, I do try and yes the push ups are not always perfect! :)
    If the chest flys are easy I would suggest using heavier weights as well. I used 10 lbs for those and 5lbs for the rest, except for the front shoulder raises I use 2lbs for that movement.
  • amberlee2011
    amberlee2011 Posts: 129
    Options
    I have a really hard time with the push ups too. I did this work out once last week and then was so sore for the next week I didnt' do it again. I figure as long as you are pushing yourself, you're getting a work out. Each time you do the push-ups try doing one more.
  • Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Level 2 is even harder! I would go to at least 5 days a week with no more than a 1 day break.
  • bex879165
    bex879165 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Please be impressed that you can do 10!!! I must have very weak arms as can't manage that many. I roped my hubby in for help as he's a gym bunny and I thought I must have been doing it wrong! Unfortunately i'm not - I just can't do it.......I dread to think what I look like trying :-)

I'm hoping with time my arms will get stronger! Good luck. x
  • bex879165
    bex879165 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time with the push ups too. I did this work out once last week and then was so sore for the next week I didnt' do it again. I figure as long as you are pushing yourself, you're getting a work out. Each time you do the push-ups try doing one more.

I was really sore when I did it but if you can push through that soreness for a couple of days it does disappear and is totally worth it. I didn't lose so much weight but I did definitely lose a few inches!! :-)
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    Hi All!

I've been doing the 30 day shred (not every day I must add, but usually about 3 days a week) and while it's getting easier, and I look forward to maybe starting level 2 soon, I'm REALLY struggling with press-ups. I just don't seem to be able to do more than about 10, and I'm pretty sure the ones I'm doing aren't technically very good.
    I do also struggle a bit with the weight training parts of each cycle, (except the chest fly's for some reason) but can generally push through those OK, and am definitely getting better and stronger. It just doesn't seem to be happening with the Press-ups.

Any suggestions? I'd really love to be able to do them for as long as I'm meant to.

Edit - FYI - I'm doing the knee press-ups, not full ones.

As a former 30DS junkie, i'll say that one thing that helped me with push ups was deciding BEFORE the work out how many full one's i'd do. even if it was just one, i'd do that one. Form is SUPER IMPORTANT, so slow down and really focus on getting form right before upping your reps. Once you have the right form it WILL get easier. Mindset is EVERYTHING with any work out. You have be OK with not doing as many reps so long as the reps you do are with good form and with all your effort. Also, if you want to do the 30DS closer to the way Jillian designed it you have to up your workouts/week as this will help you get stronger faster. But it sounds like you may need to take your time and get your form right. It's no good to make it to the end and have horrible form AND possibly injure yourself.

Finally, why not mix in a level 2 workout while still mastering level 1? It's a great way to break up the monotony and keep the motivation flowing. If the 30DS didn't anger my knees so much i'd be right on the bandwagon! :-)
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I would also do push-ups against the wall, hands on the wall feet back. It is still hard but it doesn't hurt my wrists as much.
  • mackemshazza
    mackemshazza Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 9 of Level 1 and not had any rest days at yet.

I can't do push ups for love nor money, I do some sort of "effort" on my knees and my arms scream at me so it must be giving me some sort of workout.

I don't dwell on it, just do what you can.

I didn't think of increasing the weights for the chest flies (as recommended on this thread), so thanks for that.

I couldn't breathe without it hurting during my first 3 consecutive days on Level 1, after that I was fine.

Level 2 is calling me, only one more day on Level 1 and i'll be up there!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I am on level 2 i kind of hated level one it was boring. there isnt much push-ups on level to besides plank crawl push-up thing but you dont have to do the push up part if you cant. Like someone else mentioned try out level two, adds some variety. If i were you i would add one more day in there i do it 6 days a week and on the off day it is a weekend and we have been playing outdoor fun sports which seem to kill me more than the 30 day shred.
    I dont think i can do 10 push up s in a row still but i moved on because i would of quit it all if i didnt.
  • tkb1985
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I decided yesterday that I was going to start doing this every day during the week, and now I'm even more determined. I'll keep plugging away.

- Chridow - thanks, I'll focus on doing less reps but BETTER press-ups. I'll stick to the knee ones for now though.
    - Jrognsvoog - good idea - maybe I'll do one set as above, then the second set against the wall until I can push myself past!

Thanks again everyone!
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Just FYI my physical therapist said not to do her videos every day bc it is really hard on you. The plyometrics are not good for your body. Even though you get great results.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm still doing the modified pushups on day 8. I figure it's better to do as many of those as I can rather than 1 or 2 of the "real" ones.

It's okay to be struggling - this is a hard workout! I JUST moved up to 3 pound weights (from 1.5!) and they get REALLY heavy!
  • tkb1985
    Options
    Are you talking about push ups? If that is the case still maintain the knee to make it easier and do what you can.Eventually you will see a difference. I start out with regualr but end with knee! For me push ups seem such an ackward movement for me. Nevertheless, I do try and yes the push ups are not always perfect! :)
    If the chest flys are easy I would suggest using heavier weights as well. I used 10 lbs for those and 5lbs for the rest, except for the front shoulder raises I use 2lbs for that movement.

Yes that's what I mean. Thank you for the advice. Yesterday I decided to up the weights on the chest flys, and I think I'm going to carry on with that, as it made a real difference.
    I use 1kg for everything else, 3kg for chest flys. :) Might get some smaller ones for those shoulder raises too though, as I struggle there!