Shin splints

Options
I've had a problem with shin splints for a years. If I attempt to run or speed walk in regular shoes I will be completely debilitated within 5 mins. I got some shape ups and can now walk. The burning in my shin is still there but it doesn't take me down. The problem is shape ups are hard to run in and I'm training for a 5k. Any suggestions? I need a light weight running shoe that's good for shin splints. I'm afraid to just go buy a pair of high dollar shoes and still have problems.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    For shoes see a running specialty shop, you don't need to spend a ton of money (quite often they'll have "last year's" models on sale)

More importantly though, you need to address why you're getting shin splints, there are specific exercises that may help at preventing them.....

runnersworld.com/workouts/4-exercises-to-prevent-shin-splints
  • Maebell1975
    Maebell1975 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    For shoes see a running specialty shop, you don't need to spend a ton of money (quite often they'll have "last year's" models on sale)

More importantly though, you need to address why you're getting shin splints, there are specific exercises that may help at preventing them.....

runnersworld.com/workouts/4-exercises-to-prevent-shin-splints

Great! Thank you. I guess I never really thought to look into reasons for them.
  • danielisbatman
    danielisbatman Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was told by my physio that the pain comes from tissue that has repaired in the area but has become twisted. Stretching helps a lot :)
  • Maebell1975
    Options
    Thank you. I will try that
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Wasn't there a major lawsuit against Shape-Ups?
  • Maebell1975
    Options

I don't know. Haven't heard about it. What for?
  • msujack
    msujack Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I used to jog about a 1/4 mile or less and get wicked shin splints. Went to a running specific store, had them check my gait, got rid of the pronation correction shoes and went with neutral shoes, immediately no shin pain. I read somewhere that 80% (could be inaccurate) of people over-pronate (run with feet collapsing inward toward other foot) vs. under-pronate (run on the outside of the foot). Its easy to find a shoe that fits, but make sure it feels good for you. What I buy or your friends buy may be the perfect shoe for you, or it might be the cause of shin splints. I wish I had known this early after spending $120 on shoes only to buy the correct ones later. Best of luck to you!
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I don't know. Haven't heard about it. What for?

The lawsuit was because of claims of, false exercise benefits. However I found them to be the most comfortable shoe but they're heavy & if you lean back, you can fall because of the heel curvature. I found that for the 1st month, of wearing them; that my calves were stronger but if they did have any exercise benefits, if you do the same thing over & over again, it's no longer exercise because our bodies become use to it & thus my calves didn't continue to strengthen. Therefore I don't believe, that the lawsuit; was entirely valid. I definitely noticed a change, in my calves but only for a month. If I ceased wearing them, for a while or increased my use/intensity, while continuing to wear them; then I possibly would've had more results but I only wore them, during everyday/routine life.
  • Maebell1975
    Options
    Thank you very much!