Diet's there now need the exercise

Options
Started using MFP 7 weeks ago today and have so far lost 17lbs, I feel I've now got the diet side sorted and find it hard to believe how badly I used to eat. However I've found it difficult to start any kind of exercise regime.
I walk a lot for my job but would like to develop better fitness levels and strength.

Any tips for getting started and staying consistent with exercise?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Find an exercise you love and you'll stay consistent. Once you are regularly doing something you enjoy you'll find it easier to do other exercises.
  • RosemaryBronte
    RosemaryBronte Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think the best time to start is when you feel very unmotivated. That way you won't do the classic mistake of doing so much on the first day that you take a week to recover. I keep a diary and give myself stickers so I can look at them glittering on each page giving me an identity as a person who exercises. I do some exercises in front of the TV to take my mind off it but I also find going for walks is relaxing and refreshing.
  • yoohooitssue
    yoohooitssue Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The only way I exercise is if I commit to a gym; paying money motivates me to go. What I call swimming (getting in the pool, floating while kicking, swimming with noodles, water aerobics) is so low impact that it's not even like exercising, but it burns tons of calories! And you sleep really good later. Just joined my local YMCA today. If you can't afford a gym, walking is the next best deal to ease into the exercise routine.
  • Alalai
    Alalai Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I join classes. I can go to the gym and jump on the treadmill but as soon as I start to get tired I get off. But with classes they know how to mix it up and I'm stuck there for at least that hour. I can now take up to 3 classes a day and still enjoy it.
  • Alalai
    Alalai Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Oh and I also really like my Garmin band. It will push me to my daily goals
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I struggle with finding motivation to exercise too. I honestly don't stress it too much since I'm still losing weight. I think it will be easier for me when the weather is nicer and I can get outside.