Today is going to be a bad day.. HELP!

Options
So I have an exam later this after noon and I am extremely stressed out. That is when I tend to over eat. So I need some tips from those who feel the same way. What do you do to help over come the stress eating?!? I can't let this go on any longer! HELP!!

Replies

• beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Get a bag of carrots or celery or snap peas and just snack on those - it will give you something to crunch on and work out that stress without undoing your day.

You could also go for a long walk - sometimes exercise will help with the stress.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I have treats with few calories- for me that might mean a cup of coffe with creamer (I rarely want to eat anything with coffee or shortly after) A diet soda. ( I generally don't have soda) a special flavored tea, or something along those lines. I'm in grad school and I know the feeling of having a big hurdle to jump and wanting to use food to make the day liveable.

HTH.
  • AEisele
    AEisele Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I agree with the carrots thing. Crunchy foods are great for stress. If you have the good stuff available it keeps you from reaching for the bad stuff.

Also, yoga.....Especially practice the breathing part. Deep breathing helps feed the brain. Oh ya that reminds me my mother-in-law always said grapes were great when your taking tests. They also feed the brain.

Hope it goes well!
  • JadazV
    JadazV Posts: 26
    Options
    I know that feeling well. When I was doing my PhD I was forever worried about exams and presentations etc. I used to munch on all manner of sweets. Now I pick at the Special K bar (its gotta be chocolate for me) with water. And I mean pick. Break off pieces and eat slowly instead of biting large mouthfuls. And drink water between each piece. Satisfies the sweet while only 90 cals.

Or like beccala suggests, walk a bit. I've got an interview this afternoon, so major stress. I just did a little power walking and i'm feeling much better.

Good luck on your exams!! You'll nail it!
  • bethany_22
    bethany_22 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all your suggestions! (:
  • miranda90504
    Options
    I agree with all of the suggestions BUT, the underlying issue is the stress being brought on awaiting the exam. So I think this is a good time to yes, grab that bag of carrots but read over your material while you do it. You need to ease your mind more than your belly at this moment. Give yourself a pep talk in the mirror! There must be some section you are feeling uneasy about or you wouldn't be so keyed up about it. right? Go through your material one more time and feel confident that you are ready! I know you are probably feeling burnt out over the material but a quick refresher can give you a big boost! Good luck!