Need some ideas for lower body strength training??

Options
I currently do Zumba and upper body strength training. But for my lower body, it doesn't seem to be much, I heard that doing the machines that target your calfs or thighs are not as effective, but I still its worth a try. I have tried doing lunges but it really hurts my knees, I have no knee problems, maybe I am just doing it wrong. But anyways what do you guys do for lower body strength training including abs, I stared doing planks.

Replies

• LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    bump
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    lunges (regular and side lunges) and bicycle crunches. fun stuff!
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges and throw in some kettle bells. That is really all you need. Mon wed and friday I do somewhere around 100-300 squats and lunges in a work out. We actually did walking lunges up hill for about 200 yards and reverse lunges back down the hill last night. In 3 months I have added 2 inches around my thighs in added muscle. SQUATS SQUATS and if I happened to forget SQUATS. and some lunges too. =0)
  • boffo
    boffo Posts: 22
    Options
    Biking was my answer.... I blew out my right knee 2 years ago, and had big trouble with my usual walking routine. I'm able to spend an hour on my bike each day and for a long time my knee would feel better for the day or two after a ride. Once I strengthened it enough from riding I added some other lower body work into it. I now do barbell squats and good mornings, and wall sits for lower body.... I also continue to bike... doing about 120 miles a week right now.
  • cleo77
    cleo77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    squats using a physio ball for support and leg lifts.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts, Squats and Lunges all work the lower body and core . Obviously if you are experiencing pain you need to be careful and maybe get them checked out.

Kettlebells are my favourite, you tend to do lots of swings which work legs, hips and core and hopefully be easier on your knees

Good Luck
  • TheMrsFitnessGeek
    TheMrsFitnessGeek Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This is what I currently do twice a week for legs:

Hack Squat- started at 45lb weight on
    Leg Press: 2 x 45lb weight
    Barbell lunge: 45lb
    Stiff legged Barbell deadlift: 40lb
    Stability ball hamstring curl- no weigh
    seated calf raise: 50lb
    Standing calf raise: 90lb
    3 sets at a weigh that you can only do btwn 12-15 reps

ABS 3 x a week:
    Weighted toe crunch- 10lbs
    Obliques Row- 10lbs
    Scissor Kick
    Bicycle crunch
    in-and-out plank
    Side bends- 12.5lbs
    Standing core stabilization- 12.5lbs
    Bow Extension- 12.5lbs
    3 sets of 15reps

Give your muscles 24-48hrs to recoup before you train them again :)

Also check youtube for proper techniques or ask a trainer at the gym you frequent :)
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    Wall sits are a good exercise for building up the legs....they take some getting used to, but are very effective for the quads.

For calves, hold a couple of free weights ( or start with body weight) and lift up onto your toes for 12-15 reps. increase weight, do 10-12, increase weight ...do 8-10. Or do it until you burn out.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Cycling is king!
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    Google lower body workouts and there will be a plethora of videos to help show you the correct form (this will help in preventing injury). The best lower body that ihave found to be effective are lunges (i.e., side, lateral, forward movement, backward movement..etc), squats, and 1 legged squats or dead lifts. Use weights to help improve strength and endurance as well. I also like doing pilates it helps elongate the legs (at least I seem to think so). Also leg abduction and adductions are great for outer and inner thighs and the glutes.
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    Cycling is king!

YES!!! my quads and calfs are always burning after I bike!!
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Cycling is king!

I do the stationery bike, on random level 6 for 20 minutes, it really raises my heart rate, I wasn't sure if we could consider that strength training, but there are moments that the endurance gets hard so maybe so.
  • proverbs31chick
    Options
    Thanks guys, I am going to do the calf raises, lunges and squats, I will be adding that to my lower body strength training, can't wait.
  • DBabbit
    DBabbit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Seated leg lifts, standing leg lifts, standing calf raises, inner & outer thigh presses, resistance band exercises. I use this site: http://www.exrx.net/Questions/BasicProgram.html
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Yoga!
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, squats and lunges are great. When you do them, make sure you sit back enough on the squat that your knees don't extend out over your toes. Keep the weight on your heels and imagine you're sitting down onto a chair. On a lunge, make sure you're stepping out in front of you far enough to again keep your knee behind your toes. This will keep you from overusing your knee and causing problems.

Also, try hamstring curls with a stability ball. Lay on your back with your feet on a stability ball, legs at 90º angles at the knees. Keeping your knees locked at that 90º angle, raise your hips off the ground and roll the ball toward your butt with your heels, then back out again. This will get your hamstrings burning in NO TIME.

Good luck!
  • proverbs31chick
    Options
    Thanks guys, all your responses sound perfect!!
  • boffo
    boffo Posts: 22
    Options
    technically it would be considered endurance training, but bike 10 miles a day for the rest of the summer your legs will be noticabley stronger...