Questions About Strength Training (Including Injury Prevention)

Options
So I have some basic questions. I have seen a lot of these answered before with many different answers, but I don't know where to begin with strength training. Here I go:

1. How many days a week do you strength train? Does three to four days sound safe, with a day of rest in between?

2. Do you work out ALL muscles on one day, take a day of rest, and go back to all of them again? Or do you work out arms/abs one day, legs/thighs the next, back to arms/abs again, etc.?

3. How long do you strength train each group of muscles per day? For example, is it safe to do 40 minutes just on legs/butt, twice a week?

4. I cannot jump or even do step aerobics because I get knee pain very easily. I have had X-rays and have shown no sign of tears or anything, but it does hurt for a day if I do something involving my knees like jumping or step aerobics. It does go away, but they are still weak. How much do knee strengthening exercises/stretches help? Also, how often do you have to do them, and for how long?

Sorry, I know this is a wide range of questions, but I have gone back up to 164 and nearly cried the other day (I am 5' 4"). I need to change.

Thank you!

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if you just started jumping or aerobics, give your knees and joints a chance to toughen up . ease into it slowly and eventually they will stop hurting.
    as far as how long and how often to strength train, you should get a program like stronglifts and follow the programs recommendations.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    1. Yes
    2 and 3. Do a program that incorporates compound lifts, which work multiple large muscle groups simultaneously. Like StrongLifts. Usually you do different lifts on different days, except squats each time. When you're befinning this will give you a bigger bang for your buck than trying to isolate arms, lega, etc.
    4. If you use good form (very important) you shouldn't have to orry about your knees.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I recently started NROL-he lays all that out. I also have some life related aches and pains but with minor accommodations it seems to work
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who answered, I really do appreciate it.

The only thing I have concerns about is that I do not have access to a gym or heavy weights, so StrongLifts and NROL are out for me. Any other ideas?
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    1. I workout 5-6 days/week strength train anywhere from 2-4 times/week.
    2. I do full-body workouts using large compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, chest/shoulder presses, rows, pull-ups, push-ups, etc) using body weight, barbell, dumbbells, kettle bells, TRX, free motion cable machine, resistance bands, etc.
    3. I workout anywhere from 20 minutes to 1.5 hours per session depending on how much time I have & on my current workout program (this is dependent on my current goals. That is what I'm aiming to improve during the current program phase i.e.. Strength, power, strength-endurance, speed, work capacity, etc).
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    If a gym isn't available try a body weight routine at home.
    There are a few, I like nerdfitness, it is simple and you can start with simplified moves (ie: wall pushups) and 1 set, then work to the standard move with 3 sets, then make each move more complex working back to 3 sets.

It is a full body, all muscle workout done 3 alternating days a week.

Cheers, h.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I will definitely try to follow some of this advice!