20 calorie soda??

I happened to grab a bottle of generic or great value lemon lime soda from Walmart. When I got home to measure some out and read the label, it said 20 cal per 8 oz.
How is that even possible? It did taste kind of different, but it didn't say diet or anything from what I saw, but then I didn't read extensively.

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited February 2016
    Wow. No idea. I didn't realize there was anything in between 150 cals in regular soda vs 10 cals/20 oz for diet dew.

Look at the ingredients for stevia, sucralose, aspartame, xylitol, maltitol, erythritol, etc, but if those things were in it, I would think it would be labelled as diet or reduced calorie.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-original-cola-20-calorie-pure-cane-sugar-soda-12-pk/1832242
    H‑E‑B Original Cola 20 Calorie Pure Cane Sugar Soda 12 PK
    Ingredients:
    Water, Sugar, Caramel Color, Phosphoric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Sucralose, Caffeine (43 mg), Acesulfame Potassium, Natural Flavors.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    RodaRose wrote: »
    https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-original-cola-20-calorie-pure-cane-sugar-soda-12-pk/1832242
    Ingredients:
    Water, Sugar, Caramel Color, Phosphoric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Sucralose, Caffeine (43 mg), Acesulfame Potassium, Natural Flavors.

That's hilarious. They really know how to play off of people's fear of hfcs by using "pure cane sugar" as a selling point of diet soda.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,030 Member
    Ingredients:

That's hilarious. They really know how to play off of people's fear of hfcs by using "pure cane sugar" as a selling point of diet soda.

Didn't someone in another thread the other day insist that cane sugar was the debbil?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    edited February 2016
    Lmao it gets better!
    This is exciting news for soda lovers because with just 20 calories and absolutely no artificial sweeteners, you can sip any of the six tempting varieties without any guilt.

Sweetened with pure cane sugar and artificial sweeteners. No high fructose corn syrup or aspartame.
  • Alatariel75
    Lmao it gets better!
    This is exciting news for soda lovers because with just 20 calories and absolutely no artificial sweeteners, you can sip any of the six tempting varieties without any guilt.

Sweetened with pure cane sugar and artificial sweeteners. No high fructose corn syrup or aspartame.

Bahaa!! Wow. Reminds me of the 'fragrance free' face wash I bought once, that smelled like strawberries and had 'fragrance' right there on the ingredient list.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Anyway, OP, how is it? The advertising for the h-e-b brand might be screwy as all hell, but if it's good, do it up!
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Lmao it gets better!

Bahaa!! Wow. Reminds me of the 'fragrance free' face wash I bought once, that smelled like strawberries and had 'fragrance' right there on the ingredient list.

I bought a bulk package of "unscented" Dove body wash once (so they were all shrinkwrapped together and I couldn't open them to smell) and not only were they very strongly scented, they had fragrance pretty high up on the ingredient list, too.

Next time I'll read it more closely. They really can say just about anything on the label, there's virtually no regulation/enforcement.

Like so many "Moisturizing" shampoos have ammonium lauryl sulfate as their first ingredient, and that's one of the harshest detergents out there.
  • Alatariel75
    Lmao it gets better!

I bought a bulk package of "unscented" Dove body wash once (so they were all shrinkwrapped together and I couldn't open them to smell) and not only were they very strongly scented, they had fragrance pretty high up on the ingredient list, too.

Next time I'll read it more closely. They really can say just about anything on the label, there's virtually no regulation/enforcement.

Like so many "Moisturizing" shampoos have ammonium lauryl sulfate as their first ingredient, and that's one of the harshest detergents out there.

I wrote the company a very sarcastic email asking if "fragrance free" just meant they didn't charge me for it. They sent me free stuff. With fragrance. LOL.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Ingredients:

Acesulfame Potassium is also an artificial sweetener. So, two artificial sweeteners in this "Pure Cane Sugar Soda". :|
  • AylaAlys
    AylaAlys Posts: 7 Member
    Look in the natural food section for a pop called zevia. The only sweetener is stevia and there is no artificial color either (in the cream soda) . It tastes awesome just regular pop!