Just Me

Options
rocky282
rocky282 Posts: 47 Member
Hello, I am a mom of 3 who are 5, 3 and 2 years old. I have Multiple Sclerosis so exercise is a two edged sword for me. Kind of a damned if I do, damned if I don't. What I mean is... I can exercise in short 10-15 minute bursts but if I get overheated I will pay for it with an exacerbation or an attack. If I don't exercise I will NEVER loose this fat I have accumulated. So I am struggling with a happy medium of how to burn calories without buring my body up.

This is day 2 with MFP for me and my hubby and so far so good. Yesterday I managed 2 - 10 minute workouts and kept my calorie intake under 1200. Today has started off well, however my body is crying from the exercise yesterday and I can tell the weakness of MS is going to be a major struggling point for me. To put that in perspective, if you have ever had a hand strength test... I had one on a weak day and could squeeze 19lbs of pressure, on a strong day I am usually up over 60. That goes for my whole body, some days I can't hardly lift my arms from my sides.

All that aside, I NEED to loose this weight, it isn't good for me, it isn't good for my family to see me like this, and darn it, if I loose the ability to walk I DO NOT want to buy a plus sized wheelechair!:yawn:

Replies

• MichelleF81
    MichelleF81 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck in reaching your goal. I find the food diary is really helpful for keeping track of what I eat each day so I don't over or under eat. :)
  • EdilyB12
    EdilyB12 Posts: 42
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck! I know working out can be difficult for you. Have you spoken with your doctor? They may be able to help you
  • rocky282
    rocky282 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I see my Doc again tomorrow, I actually have 3 different doctors all working with me on the MS issues and they have mixed responses to exercise. The first Doc sent me to a physical therapist who recomended a set of exercises and we did them for 2 months together 3 days per week. About 1/2 hour in all. They threw me for a loop and it was too much, I often ended up falling asleep for a couple hours as soon as I got home. My PCP recomends 10 minute bursts of walking or dancing with my kids. That seems to be ok but I don't think it burns many calories.

I know it takes time and to just be patient, but I wasn't sure if someone on here had a 10 minute or so workout that really seemed to burn some good calories for them and didn't kill them in the process. I know swimming is an option but I haven't found a pool near me with a lifeguard and I have had problems swimming in the past and once had to be pulled out so it makes me nervous swimming without supervision.
  • charmainecurrie
    Options
    welcome
    this is a great site
    i have been here for two weeks
    feel free to add me :)
  • jojoof4
    jojoof4 Posts: 120
    Options
    Welcome! I also have MS and totally understand about needing to limit yourself. I have found great support on this site. Just remember that the excess weight didn't come on overnight, so it is going to take some time to come off. Don't give up; take it one day at a time and if you fall off the wagon you can always jump back on anytime. Best of luck to you!