Sodium help!!

Options
How much sodium do you consume a day? I try to keep it below 2100 but I always seem to go over and I don't know what to do to keep my sodium down. If I do go over is there anything I can do to help the fact that I had so much sodium that day?

Replies

• hockeyman28
    hockeyman28 Posts: 136
    Options
    if you can not keep your sodium down(which I can not) then you need to drink even more water to flush it from your system. However this is not the same as not consuming it at all, but increased water will help.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I keep mine under 1500 mg a day. The only way to do it is to keep your processed foods, can foods and eating out to a minimum. You can counteract sodium to a certain extent by drinking more water. But that can be tedious. Its suggested for you to drink half your weight in ounces per day but then if you are trying to flush sodium out your body you would need to add to that.
  • klthomas59
    klthomas59 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    stay away from processed and canned foods-increase raw or steamed vegs-stop any soda pop-use other spices for flavoring ( I like Mrs. Dash- salt free)- look up recipes for things you like on the web and alter them to decrease sodium
  • allison_joan
    allison_joan Posts: 115
    Options
    Thank for the help, it's just so hard for me to stay under my sodium goal for some reason so instead of drinking 8 cups of water a day I will now drink 16 cups of water a day AT LEAST. That is equal to drinking 128 ounces a day which is equal to my weight and I think a good number to even out my sodium intake :)
  • JadazV
    JadazV Posts: 26
    Options
    Half of the time I go over my sodium intake especially when I drink soup. Increase the amount of water you drink and go to the restroom often. This will flush some of the excess salt out of your system
  • vetsnatural
    vetsnatural Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think Desirai 's answer is most accurate with the cutting back of processed, canned and eating out foods. Definitely watch some of your spices as well. And water, water , water.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Switch from velveeta to another brand of cheese and try baked chicken instead of deli meat. You will see a MAJOR drop in sodium levels.