What's a very filling breakfast ?

Options
I used to just eat a huge filled roll for breakfast which would fill me up for a good 3-4 hours. Now I'm on a health kick I have a nice nutty, not too sugary musili - but it isn't very filling. I prefer to have a late lunch as it splits the day up nicely. Can anyone recommend a very filling breakfast, low calorie of course - that would be fairly easy for me to have at work. Thanks!

Replies

• CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I used to make a breakfast sandwich a lot at work. It can be a bit time consuming at work though. I would scramble an egg or two and add some cheddar at the end (all in the microwave), then I would microwave a meat, either the pre-cooked sausage or bacon you get at the grocery, and put on either toast or an english muffin. This was very filling for me, I will probably switch to this again at some point.

Edited to add: Right now I have a protein shake with chocolate protein powder, a bit of dark chocolate cocoa, some peanut butter powder, half a banana, and almond milk. This keeps me pretty full but not for people who need something to chew!
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Porridge with some protein powder added.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Everybody's different, but I find a whole-grain cereal like cheerios or some oatmeal with full-fat milk and something proteinaceous like a hardboiled egg or a serving of cottage cheese usually holds me 4-5 hours. If I'm in a really big hurry, a protein bar.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    0% fat greek yoghurt with raisins and oats soaked overnight, a squeeze of honey, some blueberries
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Porridge with almond milk. Very low calorie, very filling :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Eggs...eggs ...eggs :smiley: they are the only thing that fill me up almost til lunch time (so for up to 5 hrs)
    boiled/poached/scrambed and some days I add bacon....
  • karintirasin
    karintirasin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    1 boiled egg, two Wasa Fiber Rye crispbreads, glass of fat-free milk and coffee :-)
  • SJBanks89
    SJBanks89 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This morning I had two weatabix with a banana and almonds with hot coconut milk. I had this at about 8 am I started to get hungry at 12. However I keep cut melon and apples at my work for snacks.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    Eggs anyway you like them. Boiled, fried, scrambled, poached, on a sandwich. Anytime I have eggs for breakfast I am good to go until lunch.
  • clhoward6
    clhoward6 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I made eggy veggie and ham muffins this weekend unfortunately they didn't last long as I ate them all. However they were really nice, but I would suggest using cupcake cases for them as it took me ages to get the cooked egg off my muffin tin.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Anything with protein and carb together. Eggs and oatmeal or wasa bread and cheese.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Eggs and beans. I like overeasy eggs on top of a serving of small red or black beans, but a scramble with beans with maybe with some veggies and a little cheese too in a low cal wrap would be easier for transport. Good with salsa or hot sauce.
    You could also microwave a scramble pretty easily if you can keep eggs or a carton of egg whites at work.

I usually have a protein bar for breakfast, but if it would be a good while before I could eat again I would probably have to choose a protein like eggs bulked out with beans and/or veg instead.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll have a breakfast sandwich. Sometimes I'll have yogurt, nuts, and fruit. Sometimes I'll have oatmeal and fruit.

All keep me filled up until lunch.
  • SaraO257
    SaraO257 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese (protein!!) with unsweetened granola and some berries/fruit. Of course, eggs!
  • Lextmg86
    Lextmg86 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    2 large eggs and a serving of salmon with some cheddar cheese sprinkled on top all wrapped up in a whole wheat tortilla pre workout. Post workout is a scoop of whey with a banana.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't have to eat breakfast food for breakfast so I might suggest soup, a sandwich, vegetables and hummus or a black bean wrap as filling foods.
    I often eat Greek yogurt and fruit for breakfast and it usually keeps me going 3-4 hours.
  • shannon_daly3
    shannon_daly3 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Oats with 1% milk, 2% plain greek yogourt, frozen berries, 10g almonds and a little honey. Thats my breakfast most days and it really fills me up. :)
  • shannon_daly3
    shannon_daly3 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Eggs and beans. I like overeasy eggs on top of a serving of small red or black beans, but a scramble with beans with maybe with some veggies and a little cheese too in a low cal wrap would be easier for transport. Good with salsa or hot sauce.
    You could also microwave a scramble pretty easily if you can keep eggs or a carton of egg whites at work.

I usually have a protein bar for breakfast, but if it would be a good while before I could eat again I would probably have to choose a protein like eggs bulked out with beans and/or veg instead.

That sounds delicious !! Will be my breakfast tomorrow :)
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Lots of good ideas here, I just wanted to add an encouragement to think outside the normal breakfast categories for foods that you find filling at other parts of the day. I often eat dinner type foods that are substantial and that can be cooked in bulk ahead of time and eaten a few days in a row. Beans, white potatoes, sweet potato .tofu dishes, cooked and raw veggies, whole intact grains like quinoa/barley/einkorn, nuts and nut butters, avocado. I started doing this after transitioning to vegan and feeling like I needed more breakfast options. So I finally decided it was unnecessary to stick with traditional breakfast food categories. I recommend the practice to anyone!

I sometimes eat cereal for dinner too, I'm just wild and crazy like that. :)

If you want to stick with traditional breakfast things, you can pack away a large amount of melon and strawberries without a lot of calories. You'll want to pair that with fat/protein if you want it to stick with you. I also recommend that you consider having a mid morning snack to help keep the hunger at bay till lunch.