Gained 2lbs in a week?!

Options
How did this happen? I'm 5'4 and last week I went to my dietician and I weighed 113lbs (about a 1lb weight gain in 2 months) and today I went to the doctor and I weighed 115.6. I haven't changed my diet in since two weeks before I went to the dietician (I eat 2000 calories a day and walk 3 miles). I was wearing nearly the same clothes, I'm not about to have my period, and I don't think I've eaten too much salt. I'm usually only slightly heavier on their scale (like 1lb). I'm so frustrated and confused! Am I overeating or something?

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    only you know if your overeating. are you tracking your calorie intake? and weighing? that's the only way to know but frankly, don't freak. its only 2lbs. your body weight can fluctuate. it'll be ok! probably water retention.
  • bluecat145
    bluecat145 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I'm tracking right. I weigh and measure almost everything and log every meal and snack every day.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    2lbs is a relatively small amount, well within normal fluctuation so it is unlikely that you are overeating. if you see this trend continue though, then it is time to take action.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

Seriously. Our weight fluctuates for about a million reasons. What does your scale at home say?

I weighed 126.2 last week, ate at a deficit, and Saturday it was 127.4 And I didn't freak out. It's a pound, and it's likely water retention or something. If you know your calories are where they need to be, there's no need to overreact.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    different scale
    Water weight retention
    Different clothes
    didn't poop before this time
    etc.
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Another possibility is the clothes you were wearing or the time of day, also considering like you said water weight, time of the month.... If you weigh in the morning then again before bed you will weight more at night.
    You got this, I have read it hear so many times weight loss is not linear, and that really suxs!
    I did not lose or gain the first two weeks in Feb and this week I lost 3, so overall since Jan in 8 weeks I lost 9 pounds. It works out over time, but emotionally can be hard some days. Don't give up keep moving!
  • Jochemp
    Jochemp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are comparing weights of two different scales. No wonder it can be very different. To have exact measurements only compare results on the same scale in the same period. If you do it weekly on the same time the results are more reliable.
    And as said above, weight can fluctuate when you're holding more water. As long you are eating right and your tracking is accurate (say on or under daily needs) you shouldn't be scared.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    At 5'4", 2000 cals/day is a lot.....
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Dietician scale vs the doctor scale... two different scales... ;)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    only you know if your overeating. are you tracking your calorie intake? and weighing? that's the only way to know but frankly, don't freak. its only 2lbs. your body weight can fluctuate. it'll be ok! probably water retention.

+1
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Seriously?? Relax. I can fluctuate 7 lbs in a single day. You're not even allowing for a tolerance in the accuracy of the scale itself.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Seriously?? Relax. I can fluctuate 7 lbs in a single day. You're not even allowing for a tolerance in the accuracy of the scale itself.

^^This. My weight fluctuates daily. Up to 5 pounds difference.

Two pounds is nothing to worry about.

Do you weigh yourself at the same time of day when you weigh?

There can be a multitude of reasons for the fluctuation and it is normal. I would guess that if you weighed yourself every hour, on the hour, you would have at least a few of the amounts would be more, or less.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If all other variables are "normal," then look at other things. Did you have a strenuous weight training session? This can make you retain water. I have been known to gain 3 pounds within 24 hours of a weight training session but by the next weigh-in, it is gone. Have you had bathroom issues? Sometimes, I will drop up to 1.5 pounds after a bathroom break, especially if I have been stressed out and not going quite normally in the days prior. Truly, it could be anything. If it becomes a trend over the weeks, that is when you seek a second opinion.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    Two cups (regular measuring cups) of water is around a pound. Just being better hydrated could make this much difference, let alone difference in water weight (retained in tissue vs. bladder/digestive system), difference in scales, time of day, amount of fibrous food in the previous 24-48 hours, change in workouts, and more.

+1 to relax and see what happens, if you know you're on target with eating & exercise.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat you're in. I am also 1kg heavier than I was 2 weeks ago. I did, however, start lifting about three weeks ago. I'm hoping that's what's causing this damn fokken weight ''gain''. Please God.