Breakfast on the go?

Options
tooru
tooru Posts: 72 Member
Hi,

I commute to work and always eat my breakfast on the train as I do not have enough time before I leave to make and eat something. So what I'd usually have is a natural peanut butter with chia and flax seeds on a healthier bagel (about 300cals), or a belvita breakfast bar (about 200 cals). But I really want variety and I'm on my feet all day so I need something that will fill me up for a while too, I don't mind if breakfast is about 400 cals.

So I'm looking for ideas of what I can have which is quick to make and can be eaten on a train. I'm also allergic to eggs and diary which is a bummer, so it rules out a bit (I miss you omelettes!)

Any ideas would be grand. Thank you

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    This is my Breakfast for the airport, when I take the first flight in the morning:
    • One Boiled egg ( 5 minutes in boiling water)
    • One packet of instant oatmeal. I ask for a cup of boiling water at the airport coffee places. they usually give me one for free. I take a plastic spoon with me to eat this.
    • One baked sweet potato in a quart plastic bag so I can dispose of the remains.
    • Mixed nuts
    • One apple
  • coolfry
    coolfry Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I make my egg allergic sister homemade protein pancakes, breakfast burritos (beans cheese salsa sausage), and baked oatmeal with almond butter on top
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I make muffin pan egg quiches, with eggs and egg whites and add whatever else I feel like such as cheese, green peppers, jalapeños and then I wrap each one in tin foil and put them in the fridge so every morning I heat it up for 60 seconds in the microwave, toast an English muffin and put the egg muffin in between with my cheese and it's a quick breakfast sandwich u can wrap up and take with u.

Also try Pinterest that's where I get most of my ideas.
  • candiejayne
    candiejayne Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am becoming obsessed with mason jar meals. I pre-pack a few days at a time, then I the morning I can grab a jar for breakfast and lunch, throw it in my lunch bag and off I go. I do chia seed pudding, oatmeal, refrigerator oats, cereal and yogurt, fruit and yogurt, although you can't have that. I have a board on pinterest solely for mason jar recipes.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    2nd on the egg free breakfast burritos
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I make muffin pan egg quiches, with eggs and egg whites and add whatever else I feel like such as cheese, green peppers, jalapeños and then I wrap each one in tin foil and put them in the fridge so every morning I heat it up for 60 seconds in the microwave, toast an English muffin and put the egg muffin in between with my cheese and it's a quick breakfast sandwich u can wrap up and take with u.

Also try Pinterest that's where I get most of my ideas.

lol sorry about the previous post - I don't know how I missed that you were allergic to eggs!! My boyfriend is also severly allergic to eggs - he usually does meat type sandwiches (he loves meat, but you could make them healthier), for example grilled sandwich with turkey sausage and dairy-free cheese. Are you also allergic to egg substitutes? Those prompt an allergy in my boyfriend as well for some reason but maybe you can?

I second the egg-free pancake idea - there are recipes substituting the egg for ripe bananas (same with waffles, muffins, etc). You could try making your own granola bars as well.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    As a college student:
    Every morning I have a meal protein bar and its actually a bit of a struggle because they keep me so full, that I do t get hungry. Also Im big on the sugar and carbs in the morning to help me stay energized.
    Here are some of my favorites:
    -Lenny and Larrys Complete Cookie (360cal)
    -Big 100 Cookie Dough Bar (360 cal)
    -Quest Bars (170-200; I usually eat 2 or pair them with a fruit or a yogurt parfait)
    -Belvita! (230 cal)

Products I hate because they don't fill me:
    -Cliff Bars
    -Special K Meal Bars
    -Lara Bars
    -Kind Bars (These are a good snack, buy they are not filling to me)

They say that fiber is very filling as well, but as a vegetarian who gets a ton of fiber daily, I dont meed any excess flagulance from bars lol.
  • Jochemp
    Jochemp Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If you don't mind bringing a shaker or a sealed bottle/glass a green smoothie is a perfect way to go. This is what I usually eat for breakfast:

- 40 or 50 grams rolled oats
    - 120 grams fresh spinach
    - 40 grams avocado
    - 1 medium banana (about 110 grams, frozen ideally)
    - Water or soy milk (about 200ml)
    - You can mix some whey or soy isolate for extra protein with these fluids.

Put it all in a blender and maybe add some cacao nibs or other goodies. Calories is about 400 and you'll be filled throughout the morning!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Get a few different smoothie recipes that use juice or almond milk and get a good travel mug. I have often made my smoothie and thrown it into a travel mug so I can drink it on my way to work.
  • bspringer544
    bspringer544 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If I'm in a hurry I'll just whip up milk/meal replacer, 1 banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter together in a blender. Pour into travel mug and good to go! Depending on your serving size, between 300-600 cals.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Coffee. Coffee to go.
  • tooru
    tooru Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Some ideas sound really good! I've had Belvita bars for breakfast before but I'll try some of your other suggestions too, especially more protein ones.

Egg free pancakes and turkey sandwiches sound brill too. Will try all of those!!

The smoothies and drinks never fill me up :( i work on my feet ll day and it'll have to keep me full for a good 3/4 hours so I tend to have those as a snack or instead of dinner at the end of the day.

But thank you everyone!!
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Overnight oatmeal with a variety of healthy whole food adds, whole foods smoothies with veggies, etc. No need for processed foods.