Does eating really well during the week make up for eating really awful on the weekend?

Options
2»

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I'm gonna go with definitely maybe.

I'll raise a probably not.

So in your estimation, there is less than a 50% chance that this is 100% the issue?
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,256 Member
    Options
    Well there are variables to this discussion not disclosed so it’s hard to assess the situation. However, I will say it’s better than eating like crap all the time.
    I do the same thing heck, I even drink a few. However, I am far more active in general during the weekend so it tends to offset what I eat. Nevertheless, depending on your needs you may need to do a better job of being footloose and fancy free with your intake on the weekend.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go with definitely maybe.

I'll raise a probably not.

So in your estimation, there is less than a 50% chance that this is 100% the issue?

Quite the opposite, I'd guess it is 100% chance that this is 50% of the issue.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    You lose weight with an overall deficit over a given amount of time. A lot of people track their deficit week by week rather than day by day. If you accurately log how awful your weekend was, you can definitely make up for it during the week.
  • chilisadie
    chilisadie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    for me one bad meal on the weekend usually leads to more "junk" food. So no, doesn't work for me.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I will occasionally up my weekend intake, but not enough to completely derail me, just enough to allow me to be sociable and eat out with family. It usually ends up being 200-300 calories though, which I can make up during the following week easily in small increments (or just accept I've been slowed down a tiny bit).

My roommate, however, does full-on cheat weekends. Whole boxes of donuts, poptarts, pizza, and 800-1000 containers of frozen custard from the local shop. I can't imagine he isn't completely wiping out his deficit. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up gaining weight.

The point is (as others have already said), be careful. A "cheat" day by a few hundred calories isn't going to completely derail you, but it can get out of hand very quickly if you allow it to.
  • bethanyka
    bethanyka Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you want to maintain, it could probably work. If you want to lose, it never worked- for me anyway. I'd try, and by Thursday I'd be back to the weight I was, only to start the weekend "fun" again. I got no where at all.
  • tabletmfp
    tabletmfp Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I cheat every sat night and I eat loads. However I do 3 mini fasts of 650 calories every week. This works because I'm in maintenance. When I was in loosing mode I don't think cheating would have worked for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your deficit during the week and how much you eat on week ends. It's just math.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    It's all in the numbers.

For me, this is a great way to maintain. Can't lose doing it, though.