Pregnancy after weightloss?

Options
Have any of you women or your wives got pregnant after weight loss? A lot of my motivation comes from wanting to be a mother and I have heard that my body should regulate itself after I lose weight so that I can. Have any of you lost weight and became more susceptible to pregnancy?

Replies

• JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I always wonder about that too. I have read stories of people that have gotten pregnant right after weight loss. Looking forward to reading the comments.

I think some of the stories were on here actually. Maybe try searching the mfp forums?

I understand and feel the same way. It's actually one of my biggest reasons for losing weight.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I lost 35 lbs 2 years ago on mfp and then found myself pregnant by surprise with baby #4. We had had trouble conceiving in the past so we hadn't been preventing quite as carefully but we were thrilled with a fourth. I don't know if it had anything to do with weight loss or not. My baby is 1 now and I've lost 80 lbs since he was born and we are more careful preventing.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it was weight related or lack of bc, but I lost a lot of weight in 2013 right before getting pregnant with my son, but I had also stopped taking bc about a month before conception as well.

Currently, I am trying to re-lose a lot of weight in hopes of getting pregnant again. I have about 25 lbs to go to reach my pp weight.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Losing weight will help regulate the hormones that make pregnancy possible, yes. Especially if you lost your period at some point while gaining weight as I have. I did get my period back after losing 100lbs, then quickly lost it again by over exercising and then quitting and gaining weight back.

I do believe you can increase your fertility by losing weight, your body knows when you're healthy and usually is reluctant to produce offspring if it's unsure that offspring would be healthy.
  • Fromflabtofabulous
    Fromflabtofabulous Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I lost almost 20kg and then got pregnant with my first by surprise. I'd been having unprotected sex with my partner for a few years and nothing before hand. I do think it had a lot to do with the weight loss :)
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've not gotten pregnant, but I have always had irregular, or non-existent, periods. When I lost just the first 15 lbs I got the first one I had gotten in over 10 months and have gotten it every month since (5 months now, 35 lbs total down), which has never happened in my life except on BC pills. I am even ovulating, if indicators are correct (I won't go in to detail...lol). So yes, for me, losing weight has made me more fertile. When I lose 25 more lbs we are going to start trying for a baby.