Sauna Suits, Garbage Bags, etc

Options
My trainer (former boxer) swears by wearing a garbage bag during workouts. He says it increases your core temp, and helps increase metabolism, etc, etc. I am super skeptical about it, because I think it is just water weight that you'll put back on, but I have seen a number of people say that they've noticed a reduction in inches when wearing one consistently. So...I bought a pair of sauna suit type pants. My problem areas are definitely lower stomach, butt and thighs and these are high waisted and very fitted, so I'll give it a shot. I'm 5'3, 140 and have 15lbs to lose.

Just curious though...anyone else try something similar? Likes, dislikes?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I prefer to stay hydrated
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I makes you sweat out more water weight, which comes right back on as soon as you eat and drink. Wrestlers and boxers have been doing this since forever in order to make their weight class.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    You are correct, it just makes you sweat more water out. You might want to find a new trainer.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    It does actually cause a reduction in inches - because it reduces bloating and water weight. Unfortunately, as you already suspect, the inches and the weight come back pretty shortly. The temporary results are probably enough of a reason for some people to buy into the idea.

Personally, I see that as an invitation to become dangerously dehydrated.
  • alisfitgoal
    alisfitgoal Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This is a weight cutting strategy not a weight loss strategy. There is something to be said for "staying warm" while you workout, but that goes to comfort and performance, not calories burned or 'metabolism'.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    RaeLB wrote: »
    You are correct, it just makes you sweat more water out. You might want to find a new trainer.

This^

Boxers sometimes need a little help making weigh-ins. But it's just water weight.

By his reasoning suanas and hot tubs would be weight loss devices also.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I think wearing a trash bag while exercising is a waste.

Seriously, it probably is just water weight you would lose with this approach and you are impeding the evaporation of sweat, which is the body's way of cooling itself during exertion -- a process vital to your well-being.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Are you comfortable with a trainer who peddles this kind of "advice"?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My trainer (former boxer) swears by wearing a garbage bag during workouts. He says it increases your core temp, and helps increase metabolism, etc, etc. I am super skeptical about it, because I think it is just water weight that you'll put back on, but I have seen a number of people say that they've noticed a reduction in inches when wearing one consistently. So...I bought a pair of sauna suit type pants. My problem areas are definitely lower stomach, butt and thighs and these are high waisted and very fitted, so I'll give it a shot. I'm 5'3, 140 and have 15lbs to lose.

Just curious though...anyone else try something similar? Likes, dislikes?

Time to find a new trainer.....he probably took too many blows to the head.

That's the kind of tactic that wrestlers and boxers do prior to a weigh in. You lose (temporarily) water weight because you become dehydrated. Sweating more does noting to increase your metabolism, in reality the only way to increase you metabolism is to gain lean muscle mass as it's more metabolically active than fat and even then the changes are far from staggering.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he'd be a decent trainer for a boxer who needs to make weight to box, but for someone interested in fitness and weight loss not so much. If you're not just training to box I'd research a different trainer.
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    There is another reason why people wear these suits, you train like you fight. If you are use to preforming in conditions that test your body, when the conditions come around you are more ready for the "shock". Not to say you are going to stave off a heat injury one second longer, but you will learn to push yourself past what you would have thought possible.

Prime example, wearing NBC suits in the Army. They weight to darn much, reduce your mobility and you have no real way of cooling off. Couple that with a protective mask which limits breathing, evaporation from the head ceases and makes taking in water a chore. Wear them over in Kuwait at 110 in the shade and you would think you would not last 10 minutes. You would be right. Carry on with training and a month later we could survive for hours in them. Not saying in was pleasant. It was terrible, but you could function.

You plan on getting into the ring? If so, being able to deliver punishment to your opponent and keep your endurance up while taking blows... all the while sweat is pouring out of you and keeping your breathing in check. Again, you train like you fight.

Another way to look at it, you sweat in peace time to keep from bleeding during war time. The War & Peace, that is up to you.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Get a new trainer...any trainer giving that advice is an idiot and not someone I would trust with my training/health. The only thing it will do is dehydrate you, sure inches and lbs will be smaller but it is because water has been leached from your body, it's all temporary and not a permanent fix. It's not advisable to dehydrate yourself, water helps your muscles recover from exercise and it's crucial to your health, you could possibly injure yourself if you fainted from dehydration. Plus it will probably limit your exercise because you will overheat and it will make you more tired faster vs exercising without it you will have better energy and burn the calories/fat that actually matters in weight loss. I strongly advise against using it, toss it!
  • stefanie18810
    stefanie18810 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Sometimes you look for the articles that you want to believe or that agree with you, and sometimes you need to come back to reality. I needed to read these!
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    yes it just makes you sweat out more water.

boxers and other fighting competitors sometimes wear them during workouts for the last few days leading up to their fight, because they have to meet a certain weight class. they dehydrate themselves to just squeeze under the weight limit and then immediately rehydrate and eat as much as possible to be in top condition for their fight.

it does not raise your metabolism or help you lose actual fat mass any faster. in fact, higher temperatures often make you perform worse at things like endurance activities.

boxers are not known for being the sharpest tools in the shed. i mean they get knocked out repeatedly for a living. fantastic, amazing athletes. but this guy is pushing made up stuff on you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I used to wrestle and I wore a trash bag while jogging, etc before matches to make weight...I was just dehydrating myself to make weight...I personally see little point if you don't have to make weight for something.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Fire your trainer
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Step 1. Don't.
    Step 2. Find a new trainer
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Step 1. Don't.
    Step 2. Find a new trainer

Almost exactly what I was going to post.
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I used to wrestle and I wore a trash bag while jogging, etc before matches to make weight...I was just dehydrating myself to make weight...I personally see little point if you don't have to make weight for something.

We must have had the same coach ;-) Back in the day our HS wresting coach made us do that to cut weight for tournaments. BRUTAL!! It worked for the scales but always felt drained and even worse with the carb load pre match.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Yep, and after the garbage sacks, gulping down honey and water to rehydrate.
    Oh, those carefree wrestling days…...