Uncomfortable with Free Weights

Options
Hi All,

I know that to "Build Big Muscles" you must "Lift Big Weights". But I am usually in the Gym very early before work and I don't have any "Gym Friends". Usually I'm by myself and there isn't even any staff (anytime fitness is my gym)

I'm wanting to start the 5x5 weight training program but there are a couple of issues that make me uncomfortable
1) Lifting by myself (especially to exhaustion) doesn't sound safe. I'm sure I'll be fine early on but later I wouldn't want to be doing heavy benches by myself.
2) It suggests I start with an empty bar and I understand why, but with all the posts about pet peeves I see this being something that is potentially a Gym Faux Pas were you take up a bench and a bar for no weights.

Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Replies

• harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Use and lift weights that are challenging to you but should not overwhelm you. As you train more, you'll come to realize your own limits, of when you'll need a spotter and such.

There's much worse than using a bench and only the barbell. You're starting out and new, just go for it. I've seen people use the barbell bench for very non-barbell related things. As long as you're using the equipment correctly and properly, then no worries.
  • WeekendWarriorTX
    WeekendWarriorTX Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    1) by the time you get to those big weights, you will be able to lift them. it is a slow, calculated progression meant for lifters like you
    2) i wouldn't call lifting a bar a gym faux pas. as long as you're using the equipment properly and in a timely fashion (i.e. no talking/facebooking on phone instead of lifting) no one will care if you are only using the bar.

trust your body to know if something is too heavy, but don't be afraid to push yourself. plenty of guys and gals have gotten big without the help of a spotter
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Starting with an empty bar? Meh. If anyone has a problem with that, it's their problem. You have to start somewhere.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Well, I'll address #2 first. F those people. Seriously. They typically have no clue what they're doing. And, in this case, don't understand the program. Also, if you're there by yourself usually, who's going to whine? :wink:

With regards to #1, it's been a number of years since I've seen the inside of an Anytime Fitness. I don't really remember what is available for equipment. And if it's changed, then I'm even more clueless regarding their equipment. That said, look for a power cage, pictured below. If there's one there, you can set up the bench inside it, so you have something to catch the bar if you fail. Again, if you're typically by yourself, nobody should complain about taking up multiple pieces of equipment. If there's somebody there, then they probably can give you a spot or are doing something where you taking up the bench and cage isn't a problem.

precor-power-cage-15.jpg
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The 5x5 program uses a power rack. I bet your gym has that. When set up properly (5x5 shows exactly how to set it up) if you fail on a rep, the rack will catch it. It will be a long time before you will be lifting to exhaustion if you follow the 5x5 plan to the letter (follow it to the letter). I am currently doing the same program, by myself in my basement with a power rack. Don't worry about people that don't like what you're doing. Do what's right for you & you'll be fine. Keep it up!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It will take awhile before you're going to need a spotter. And really by that point you will most likely be moving the weight just fine. The app adds weight slowly for you, and once you start to stall, it will show you how to deload. Also, you're not really "lifting to exhaustion". It's not really the point. As a person who trains heavy, I only get up to 95% of my max once per month. Most of my training is done between 75-85%.

Don't worry about just using the bar. It's not a faux pas. It's literally just...the weight you're lifting.
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi dobenjam. I don't/can't lift weights but hopefully I can give some input to your questions.

1: It concerns me that there are are no staff at your gym. I would have thought purely on health and safety there should be staff around. Anybody could have an accident. Not just for example dropping weights, or straining a muscle due to underestimating training; but for any equipment going wrong. Have you tried emailing or phoning the Anytime Fitness head office to clarify on this?

2: Regarding your second question about starting with an empty bar. If another user sees someone doing this and regards it as a Faux Pas, then they have the problem and not you! You are doing everything safely and starting off with something that is within your starting limits. Good on you. Never mind others, raise your own self-esteem and fitness and take no notice of others who are small-minded. Far better to start in a small way and avoid an accident; build up your strength and go on to greater things :smile:
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i always start every workout with the empty and add weight until i decide that's the weight i wanna work with for the day. its none of anyone's business how much weight a person has on the bar. And if you are just starting, you dont have to lift 'til exhaustion. You should be lifting to learn form and function and getting comfortable with the movements.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily ever need a spotter. I've never had one in the past 4 years. Maybe just start out and see how it goes? If your gym doesn't have the right equipment, try to find a gym that does?
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »
    Starting with an empty bar? Meh. If anyone has a problem with that, it's their problem. You have to start somewhere.

I am pretty strong and doing a real bench press with an Olympic bar was VERY challenging for me. I could barely do it.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have never gone to the gym with someone. Figured it all out by myself. I understand what you been about not having someone there, you will still be able to go up weights, I just find that I probably do so a little slower than if I was with someone else. Also who cares about hogging a rack! You are using it for a purpose!
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    1. When I did SL5x5 I didn't need a spotter. I've only ever used a spotter on a bench press testing a 1 rep max. The other compound lifts didn't require a spotter. You could also learn the roll of shame so that if you couldn't get a rep up and you were alone you wouldn't be stuck. Or you could decide not to put the clips on the end so if you couldn't do it you can tilt the bar so they fall off. I personally prefer the roll of shame because I try to avoid drawing attention and crashing weights have that effect.

https://youtu.be/fEUvI8Q6JDk

2. It isn't a faux pas at all to just use the bar for an exercise. Just use the equipment properly and whatever you do, don't do curls in the squat rack! ;)
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have done 5x5 alone for almost 2 years. Just do it. Watch the videos (http://stronglifts.com). Start with an empty bar, trust me, you will be happy you did. In a few months you will be lifting more than most people who might find that strange.
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    CancerSurvivor2014 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    #1 Don't worry what someone else thinks about YOUR workout.
    #2 If you are pushing limits, and don't have a spotter: use a rack or smith machine; you can also learn " the roll of shame" or you can leave clips off bar & dump the weight(makes a bit of noise, but definitely better than being pinned to the bench). Also you may want to ask somebody around for a spot, just because they don't "work" there, doesn't mean they are not willing to help. If you asked me I would gladly help you; hoping that one day you might could return the favor. I threw this last part in, because for a while I was hesitant to ask for help; till I learned that most people are willing to lend a hand.
  • WeekendWarriorTX
    WeekendWarriorTX Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    i had someone ask me to spot them last week on the bench and i was more than happy to help
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    cryptobrit wrote: »
    Hi dobenjam. I don't/can't lift weights but hopefully I can give some input to your questions.

1: It concerns me that there are are no staff at your gym. I would have thought purely on health and safety there should be staff around. Anybody could have an accident. Not just for example dropping weights, or straining a muscle due to underestimating training; but for any equipment going wrong. Have you tried emailing or phoning the Anytime Fitness head office to clarify on this?

2: Regarding your second question about starting with an empty bar. If another user sees someone doing this and regards it as a Faux Pas, then they have the problem and not you! You are doing everything safely and starting off with something that is within your starting limits. Good on you. Never mind others, raise your own self-esteem and fitness and take no notice of others who are small-minded. Far better to start in a small way and avoid an accident; build up your strength and go on to greater things :smile:

Anytime Fitness is an unattended gym model. There are lanyards you can wear that alert 911 when pressed and full remote video feeds. It is a lower cost 24x7 gym.

1. I set the safety pins to just below my chest and bench with an arched back. If I lost control the bar my arch collapses from the bar and the pins catch the bar and protect my neck and chest. If you can't get the pins just right you can put mats under the bench to raise it to a working level. The big thing is to protect your neck.

2. Which pet peeve said empty bar is bad, I want to see this and hear that explanation. I didn't see it but I didn't read every word. Taking a bench, bar, and rack to work out is fine, taking them for a phone call, not so much.

If the bar is toooh much for 5x5 try dumbbells until you get to 45 lbs 5x5. I hesitate to recommend the fixed weight bars because they might not be wide enough for the rack.

• wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    An empty bar weighs 45 lbs. So no faux pas there as far as I'm concerned. I use an empty bar (or light dumbbells) when working on my form. It's a good way to practice form before going heavy. I never thought of anyone having a problem with that but if they do, it's their own problem. :wink:
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    SL5x5 will eventually push you to failure.

Does your gym have a power cage?

You can bench inside that if there is no one to spot you. Set the safety bars at a height where, with a proper bench pressing back arch, your chest is above the bars, but when you let your arch collapse the bar can rest on the safeties.

If you are not using a powerlifting arch for your bench press (aka are doing a flat / bodybuilding style bench) then you shouldn't be using a weight that will cause you to come close to failure. The powerlifting arch protects your shoulders from heavy loads and is what was intended for SL5x5. This is an excellent video detailing proper bench pressing arch: Jennifer Thompson, WR bench

bodybuilding bench (elbows at 90 degrees to torso, no back arch) has its uses but it is meant to exhaust the pec muscle. it places your shoulder in a compromised position so should not be used with heavy weight.

It is not a "Gym Faux Pas" to use a bench press station OR a squat rack with as much or as little weight as you want. You paid for a membership and are training for a better bench press, anyone who complains can buzz right off. I've been lifting for years and still warm up starting with an empty bar, every time.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Use the rack and safety bars
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Well, I'll address #2 first. F those people. Seriously. They typically have no clue what they're doing. And, in this case, don't understand the program. Also, if you're there by yourself usually, who's going to whine? :wink:

With regards to #1, it's been a number of years since I've seen the inside of an Anytime Fitness. I don't really remember what is available for equipment. And if it's changed, then I'm even more clueless regarding their equipment. That said, look for a power cage, pictured below. If there's one there, you can set up the bench inside it, so you have something to catch the bar if you fail. Again, if you're typically by yourself, nobody should complain about taking up multiple pieces of equipment. If there's somebody there, then they probably can give you a spot or are doing something where you taking up the bench and cage isn't a problem.

precor-power-cage-15.jpg

Thank you. There is one of these in the gym and I just watched the video on how to set it up properly for 5x5. I thought it was just for squats. I'm looking forward to getting started!