Why am I not losing weight???:(

Options
Since Jan 1st I have had NO BREAD.... normally I eat 6-8 a day, I have not had potatoes, I am eating 3 healthy meals a day, doing 30 minutes of exerscice 4 times a week, drinking 5-7 bottles of water per day, & I'm still not seing any RESULTS????
You'd think doing this good I'd see a result?? I have been between 175-180 pounds since the birth of my third child, & it keeps going up & down, but I have alot of will power since Jan 1, & I am ready.... & Have been doing good, the only problem i still have is portion, I tend to add more then i shlould for supper's, withc is my hardest... I do not eat after 5pm also??? & take Vitamins.....
Can anyone PLEASEEEEEE HELP????
Thanks

Replies

• Lyndo
    Lyndo Posts: 95
    Options
    Since Jan 1st I have had NO BREAD.... normally I eat 6-8 a day, I have not had potatoes, I am eating 3 healthy meals a day, doing 30 minutes of exerscice 4 times a week, drinking 5-7 bottles of water per day, & I'm still not seing any RESULTS????
    You'd think doing this good I'd see a result?? I have been between 175-180 pounds since the birth of my third child, & it keeps going up & down, but I have alot of will power since Jan 1, & I am ready.... & Have been doing good, the only problem i still have is portion, I tend to add more then i shlould for supper's, withc is my hardest... I do not eat after 5pm also??? & take Vitamins.....
    Can anyone PLEASEEEEEE HELP????
    Thanks
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, cutting out bread and not eating after 5 pm aren't going to do anything at all if you're still eating too many (or far too few) calories. Plus, it hasn't even been two weeks since January 1st. Fat loss takes time. Your body doesn't run on math or clockwork--it reacts relatively slowly to changes in the internal environment.
  • campfirequeen
    Options
    You might want to check with your doctor. You might have a thyroid problem. My daughter just had a
    baby a few months ago and could not lose weight either. Not that a thyroid problem is the cure all, but
    knowing and going from there helps with the frustration.
    Now, I just joined a Biggest Loser competition in town. We exercise (hard) for approx 1-1/2 hours every other day-mostly jogging & then strength training.
    Our coach, says for 2 weeks NO ( RICE-POTATOES-BREADED ENTREES-FRUIT-CHIPS-CARROTS-
    CORN-YOGURT-JUICE & ALCOHOL )
    Also-NO F.F. salad dressings cause they are high in sugars
    He did not say no bread-I have a subway sub almost everyday for lunch.
    After 5 days of this routine, I weighed in. I lost 8 lbs and 4.7% fat loss

So, I know you can do this!!! Keep at it.

Good Luck!!!
  • lescalante
    Options
    Hey, sounds like you are doing good. Don't give up yet. Really watch your calories. MFP helps me keep in check. For you portions us a small plate. I know it sounds silly but you fill it up once and then don't get seconds. It works. :ohwell: Also it depends on what your workout is. You need to get your heart pumpin. Walk and do it at a fast pace for 30 min. Also get some videos that are fun and about 30min long. It mixes it up and 30min is always doable. This is just what helps me I hope you can find some use in some of it.
    Leslie
  • Lyndo
    Options
    I don't feel like i am doing good, I have alot more will power then i ever had since my son's birth...
    but I thought I'd see results right away from stoping to eat all those breads...
    So for me to stop eating those breads & potatoes, will not make me see results?
    I am a kind of girl who needs to see results fast or I give up, & Its been a week, & its driving me nuts, I am throwing my scale in my closet :(
    I will keep my head high, & try the small plate, that will be hard......
    & As for exersice I am doing 30 minutes with that glider machine, like cross skying, i do it with a fast pace, & it gets me sweating in no time, & then I do 50 sit ups, & lift 30 pounds 50 times, but 10 at a time. So I will keep it up, & if anyone has more suggestions, I would love love love to have them....
    Thanks all you who responded I feel better.
    Lyndo
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    it's really not enough information for us to help you:smile: , how many calories are you eating per day, maybe you aren't eating enough? have you read the posts regarding not eating enough calories and how your body will react to not getting enough calories. 1200 calories per day is not the magic number for everybody. It depends on your weight, height and age. Have you gone to the tools section and calculated your BMR, it isn't perfect, but gives us a good idea of how much we should be consuming just to exist every day.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • Lyndo
    Options
    I have done all of that, I am aloud to intake 1,250 per day, & I normally take a little less then that....
    I am 29 years old, weigh 173pounds & I'm 5'7....
  • lpadilla75
    Options
    You may not be eating enough. You mentioned you eat 3 meals a day, you should try and incorporate snacks inbetween meals to keep your metabolism going.
  • allaboutme
    Options
    when I calculate your BMR it is telling me 1550 per day? plus are you eating your exercise calories? It is really important that you feed your body what it needs to survive, otherwise it doesn't want you to lose any as it it starving.
  • mandersen16
    Options
    I read a book called Eating for Life and I think that will really help. It tells you how your body processes all the food you eat and tells you how you should eat. It helps you with the all important portion sizes too. It also tells you the healthy carbs to eat. Your body needs carbs! It has recipes in it too. I've tried most of them. This book was a life saver for me because I am like you and like to see results right away.

You won't lose it fast but you at least see 1-2 pounds lost every week. I wouldn't weigh yourself more than once a week either. It gets discouraging if you don't see changes day to day. Also, I would measure your waist, hips, chest, and even thighs. Sometimes you may not lose weight but you are still losing inches.

Good luck and don't give up!
  • abillings9
    Options
    I agree with the rest... I always thought that if I dropped my calories lower than where they should be I would lose weight. It wasn't until I came here that I found out that doing that is really going to inhibit weight loss because it drops your metabolism. It's kinda crazy how it works but it really is true. Keep going, you'll get there!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    1. Take measurements, you can stay the same weight, but lose fat. I've had times when I've lost an inch off my waist, but the scale didn't move.

2. Don't get too discouraged. You've only been at it 2 weeks. Some times it takes 4 or more weeks to start seeing results, but don't give up. The results will be well worth it when you do see them.
  • postalmomx15
    Options
    Hi
    Frustrating isn't it. I was having the same problem and then I decided ok I will journal every single thing I eat and the other thing I started doing is eating something about every hour but I made it fit within my calorie count which is 1600 for me and last week I lost 2 pounds!

I also only eat whole wheat, nothing that is white and lots of fruits and vegies and not much meat. I feel full and happy all the time as I am munching on something (fruit or vegie or maybe even some Jerky) and my body never feels deprived. I drink hot tea most of the day also.
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of us on here who found they needed to eat more, not less, in order to see results. I've been plateaued for months after trying to lose on 1200 calories a day, and I'm just now beginning to see results after a few weeks of increasing. I'm now eating 1550, plus my exercise calories. I'm 5'2". You are on the tall side. Does MFP really suggest 1200 calories for you? (It did for me, and it was wrong.) Also, the best way to boost your metabolism is to lift weights for muscle gain. Cardio is great for burning calories while you exercise, strength training is even better for burning calories when you're *not* exercising. It's important to do both.

... OK, I see you are doing both. How well rounded is your strength training routine? Are you hitting all your muscle groups? Are you giving your muscles rest days in between workouts? That's when your muscles grow, during rest, not when you're using them. I alternate between cardio days and strength days, never working the same muscles in the same way two days in a row.

Finally, you can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Your body will do either one or the other, and the scale can't go down while you're gaining muscle, so the scale gives a incomplete picture of what's going on. It may not be budging because you're gaining muscle. How are your clothes fitting? Do you feel an leaner? What else is going on with your body that may give you clues to how you're doing?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like i am doing good, I have alot more will power then i ever had since my son's birth...
    but I thought I'd see results right away from stoping to eat all those breads...
    So for me to stop eating those breads & potatoes, will not make me see results?
    I am a kind of girl who needs to see results fast or I give up, & Its been a week, & its driving me nuts, I am throwing my scale in my closet :(
    I will keep my head high, & try the small plate, that will be hard......
    & As for exersice I am doing 30 minutes with that glider machine, like cross skying, i do it with a fast pace, & it gets me sweating in no time, & then I do 50 sit ups, & lift 30 pounds 50 times, but 10 at a time. So I will keep it up, & if anyone has more suggestions, I would love love love to have them....
    Thanks all you who responded I feel better.
    Lyndo

What do you mean by 'lift 30 pounds 50 times but 10 at a time'? What kind of lifting?
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Stick around and pick up from the others losing. I didn't lose either in the beginning but I started paying attention to what the "winners" were doing and it not only astonished me "how to lose the weight" but I actually was able to start. I had to let go of all the "myths" I've seen on tv and in magazines.

The 2 main issues for me were enough water, and, my caloric intake. The food diary is priceless for me. Also, for me, I was not eating "enough" to fuel the calorie burning process. It works:) Glad you are here:) denise
  • allaboutme
    Options
    I have done all of that, I am aloud to intake 1,250 per day, & I normally take a little less then that....
    I am 29 years old, weigh 173pounds & I'm 5'7....

Was this is the tools section BMR calculation or just what MFP recommended in order to lose a certain amount. Unfortunately MFP has a base standard of 1200 calories that no-one should go below, which in theory is good, if you only weight 130 pounds, but if you weigh more than that, your minimum caloric requirement is higher than 1200 calories, even though that is what the program is recommending, it is not correct for your height weight and age.
    Go to the tools section, calculate your BMR and adjust your calorie intake accordingly. When I plugged in your numbers, it gave me a number of 1550 that you shouldn't go below. Don't get discouraged, it will come off and it will get more manageable when you up your calories. Make sure you read the post entitled "only eating 700 calories and not losing" (or something like that) there is a lot of information on the message boards here for beginners and old timers alike, you are always learning something new. Be open to the idea that you don't have to starve yourself skinny, it is about balance and knowledge is power :)
  • Lyndo
    Options
    On the weight bench, 15 pounds on each sides
    I lift that 10 times, then I do 10 sit ups, then again do the weight lifting 10 more times....
  • Lyndo
    Options
    I weigh 170 pounds, I put on my numbers, & yes they said If I want to lose 2 pounds per week, I can only take 1,2500 calories?
    I am far from starving myself.... I eat all my 3 meals, I eat a really good breakfast, & at noon I eat my lunch, then 4pm I eat a big plate of supper, & then nothing after supper...
    I am trying to do what they say by drinking 8 glasses of water, & by doing that i am getting so full because i am not used to that, i would normally have a coffee in the morning, & a can of pepsi & that pepsi would last me till i went to bed, 8-9pm
    But since I've been drinking only water all day long, My body is working much better, every way, Its all good, But How am I suppose to eat between meals, when my breakfast was over 300 calories, then lunch over 300 also, & supper sometimes over 500????
    & I'm mostly full...
    I will try to eat less portion for each meals & add a healthy snack, in between, that is a good idea who ever said that Thanks :)
    I just get discouraged, cause yesturday I was so mad i didnt see any results, i gave in & ate Over 3 cups of macaroni salad thats was over 700 calories......
    I'm a binge eater I will eat until It come right back up....
    I have not done that in over 1 month, I just thought I've been doing so good, besides the macaroni salad, that I'd see results, but as I learned here, it takes at least 2 & up weeks,,, So I got rid of my scale, & I will just see my weight loss with my clothing, because the numbers are not working for me.
    Thanks to all who helped.... :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    On the weight bench, 15 pounds on each sides
    I lift that 10 times, then I do 10 sit ups, then again do the weight lifting 10 more times....

15 what on the weight bench. there are tons of different lifting exercises you can do on the weight bench.

I suggest perhaps getting a good toning DVD. One that works the intire body. It will also have ab exercises that will be for effective than just sit ups.