Can you create a recipe using other recipes you've created as ingredients?

Options
rubyjules
rubyjules Posts: 9 Member
edited February 2016 in Recipes
Is there a way to create a recipe using other recipes you've created as ingredients? For example, I made a homemade tomato sauce that I used in a gluten free lasagna. How can I create the recipe using that tomato sauce to get the calories correct?

Replies

• AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You could jot down the stats from the recipe builder and then create a food. I'm not sure how easy it would be to find in the database when building your recipe though. But worth a shot?
  • rubyjules
    Options
    Thank you. I was hoping there was an easier way, but I couldn't figure it out. Like you mentioned, I couldn't find the new recipe I created in the ingredients database.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    You could also build the recipe for the lasagna and leave out the sauce. Then just log the two individually.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    We used to be able to search our Recipe list when using the Old Recipe Calculator, which is available only on the Web version. We can no longer use the Old Recipe Calculator search function to find and use our saved Recipes. I think that function was lost when MFP rolled out the Verified food items and it changed the way it searched for our personal items.

Now we have to create a Recipe, save it to get the total (or per serving) nutrition information, then create a personal My Foods item (please don't save it as public) using the nutrition information, then create a new Recipe using the Old Recipe Calculator, then search for that specific My Foods item.

Thanks MFP. Always one step forward, two steps back.

@Alex @Nova If the Recipe Development Team is still asking for feedback, could you share this with them?
  • rubyjules
    Options
    Thank you! That sounds complicated, but I'll try it and see how it actually works out.
  • Nova
    Nova Posts: 10,069 MFP Staff
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    We used to be able to search our Recipe list when using the Old Recipe Calculator, which is available only on the Web version. We can no longer use the Old Recipe Calculator search function to find and use our saved Recipes. I think that function was lost when MFP rolled out the Verified food items and it changed the way it searched for our personal items.

Now we have to create a Recipe, save it to get the total (or per serving) nutrition information, then create a personal My Foods item (please don't save it as public) using the nutrition information, then create a new Recipe using the Old Recipe Calculator, then search for that specific My Foods item.

Thanks MFP. Always one step forward, two steps back.

@Alex @Nova If the Recipe Development Team is still asking for feedback, could you share this with them?

Yes, will do. Thanks @cybertone