Getting through depression

Options
I have battled depression most of my life it seems, however, I've never been diagnosed by a doctor or anyone. It seems like when I get in these modes of depression, I tend to not care about anything and just want to eat or not eat anything at all. I really want to be able to work through these without resorting to food. I think doing so would help my health benefits and weight loss goals tremendously. How do you do you accomplish this, when your emotions overpower your entire well-being?

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    First off, if you suspect you have clinical depression, talk to a doctor. Seriously. There's no shame in it, and they will have options for you.

Until you can, I know that some people are helped by exercise. Getting more sun and vitiam D is also something that can help. If you're an emotional eater (and it sounds like you are), find a hobby that requires your hands and brain to concentrate on. Turn to that when you feel like eating to work through your emotions.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have not found a doctor that takes me seriously enough to comfortably talk to them about it. Such as I have wanted my thyroid tested for years (problems run in my family) and they won't even run a test for me...

I have been exercising a lot more lately, but some days it's hard to work out. And I should express, sometimes I am perfectly fine, and other times I am emotionally unstable. I have also been taking a vitamin D supplement on top of a daily vitamin. I feel I do not have time for a hobby... I literally am gone 50+ hours from home for work and then I exercise 4-5 times a week at my gym, and on top of that I am a mom of a 2 year old...
  • dubird
    Options
    - Clinical depression hits everyone differently. Your symptoms won't be the same as my symptoms. If increasing exercise isn't helping, you may need another solution.

- I can understand not being able to find a good doctor. That was a big pain when I moved, and then just as I found one, he moved back to Canada! Ask around at work or with your friends and see who they recommend. That's how I found my current doctor and I like her. You might try looking for a female doctor, I've only ever had one male doctor that actually listened to me, even if all he listened to me about was physical issues. Not saying a female doctor will understand, but you might feel more comfortable talking to one.

- Understand having a full schedule, but you need to find ways to schedule time for yourself. Even if it means finding someone to watch your child while you go some place that's NOT exercise related, just doing something you like. If you don't take time for yourself now and then, you're going to run yourself into the ground, and how does that help your family?
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You need to talk to a psychiatrist. Your regular doctor will just offer up a small solution. To get the help you need for depression you need to be evaluated by the right type of doctor. Believe me I have been battling depression for about 20 years now. I have been without treatment or meds for the last 10 years, but in the last 3 years I was slipping downhill. So I picked myself up and went to find a new doctor ran off the list of what I was going through and since then I feel like a regular normal person. I know going to a psychiatrist is a scary step, but honestly when needed it is that best thing you can possibly do for yourself and your family.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you live Treehopper but if you want your thyroid tested you need to see an endocrinologist. That's part of their specialty so usually you don't have to beg them. As far as for your depression, see if you can find a local depression or crisis hotline. They have trained counselors than can listen and refer you to the best place to seek help.

Good luck!!
  • treehopper1987
    Options
    Thus far I have not had luck with finding a therapist... I've tried a hotline that is free through work, but they never have had openings for me to see someone.
  • sanfromny
    Options
    There should be a free local hotline for your county or state.If you can't find it, call your local department of health. i know the process is a bit discouraging but you just gotta keep trying. there is someone out there for you.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Treehopper where do you live?
  • treehopper1987
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I did not know that I could talk to the health department. I will have to look them up. Another thing that is so discouraging is I feel like I am let down a lot so I just get tired of trying.
  • dubird
    Options
    mweckler wrote: »
    You need to talk to a psychiatrist. Your regular doctor will just offer up a small solution. To get the help you need for depression you need to be evaluated by the right type of doctor. Believe me I have been battling depression for about 20 years now. I have been without treatment or meds for the last 10 years, but in the last 3 years I was slipping downhill. So I picked myself up and went to find a new doctor ran off the list of what I was going through and since then I feel like a regular normal person. I know going to a psychiatrist is a scary step, but honestly when needed it is that best thing you can possibly do for yourself and your family.

Not necessarily. My doctor was very helpful and we tried many things before meds. Some of what we tried, like correcting a b12 deficiency, was somewhat helpful, but nothing would stop the fail cycle in my head. A good doctor, even if they're not a psychiatrist, is not going to suggest meds as the first option. I wouldn't trust a doctor that did that, personally.
  • treehopper1987
    Options
    Thanks, dubird. I do not like taking meds, unless I truly need to.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have also battled depression for most of my life, about 30 years. Here's what I've learned:

1) You are not alone. Many people in your life probably feel the same way. We just don't talk about it because it seems to come with shame (which it shouldn't). You are not alone.
    2) Please see your doctor. Depression after loss of a loved one or job is completely normal but might still need medical intervention. Depression that comes and goes throughout your life usually indicates a chemical imbalance in the brain or a problem with how your neurotransmitters work. A mild anti-depressant may go a long way to relieving your systems. Depending on you, talk therapy might even be helpful. Find someone you are comfortable with and use it as an outlet.
    I see that your doctor is not taking you seriously. Please, please do not let that stop you. I'm not sure where you are located but it is important to have a good working relationship with your doctor. Your thyroid can be part of the problem. Please shop around. Try your gynecologist. (I started having medical issues about two years ago and went to six different doctors before I found one that believed me and helped me.) Write down your symptoms and some of your depressive thoughts. Written documentation tends to catch a doctor's attention a bit more. Do not take no for an answer, you are worth a YES.
    3) Please take care of yourself first. Its hard if you have a family but if you aren't well, its going to be harder to take care of them. This means sleeping, exercising, eating nutritiously.
    4) When the depression is bad, take a step back if possible. Life is overwhelming every day and if you have too much on your plate, it just makes it worse. Do the things you MUST (work, care for your family) and put aside the things you think you are supposed to do (does the house really need to be cleaned today?). Slow down and breathe. Don't beat yourself up for not doing something. That negative inner voice is not your friend.
    5) I found that the single best exercise for me was walking. I was able to move it into a sort of walking meditation. Just focus on walking and breathing, walking and breathing. It can be very relaxing. However, any form of exercise you like is good for you, it helps balance out these hormones in our body as well as release those happy endorphins. Don't kill yourself trying to do more. A 30 minute brisk walk every day is good for your body and your mind.
    6) You might try yoga or meditation as well. They are very good for calming the body AND the mind. Breathing is very important to your stress level. When we feel stressed, we tend to hold our breath. I found that taking two minutes to just breathe will reduce stress. Breathe in for a count of four, pause and breathe out for a count of four and keep doing it until you feel better. It won't take long.

Don't worry about your weight loss goals right away. You get your car tuned up before a long drive and you have to think of your body the same way. Eat healthy, get your exercise, treat your depression and as you start to feel better, you will find more energy and the weight loss will come along. Good luck to you and if you ever have any questions or need a sounding board, please feel free to message me.
  • dubird
    Options
    Thanks, dubird. I do not like taking meds, unless I truly need to.

I don't either. I hate the fact that I'm dependent on meds to function properly. However, it's necessary. I went down to the lower dose last year for other reasons, and recently had to bump it back up. After a week on the higher dose, my husband said he was glad because he was worried about me on the lower dose. Just lowering the dose I was taking made things worse for me. Not so much I couldn't function, but enough to be noticeable to people around me. People always assume depression meds are 'happy pills', which is totally not true. I still have a full range of emotions. The difference is that now I can balance myself when I start feeling down and when the fail cycle starts up, I can stop it instead of having to listen to it for days on end.

There's no shame in it if you need it, but it is good to try other things first. I hope you find what works for you. ^_^
  • sanfromny
    Options
    I did not know that I could talk to the health department. I will have to look them up. Another thing that is so discouraging is I feel like I am let down a lot so I just get tired of trying.

Don't stop trying. <3 Depression runs through my family. I too suffered a very harsh case of port-partum depression for what I considered an unhealthy amount of time. Gotta seek help. Someone is out there to listen to you. Sometimes you have to do the leg work to find him. I was once told that once you are healthy mentally it's easier to be healthier physically. I found this to be true...at least for me personally
  • treehopper1987
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone.
  • Laxshmi77
    Laxshmi77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am curious: for those of you who have sought out a doctor for depression, how many of you are taking medication and how many are not? And for those not taking medication, what are the lifestyle changes made to boost your mood?
  • aleencarraec
    aleencarraec Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Laxshmi77 wrote: »
    I am curious: for those of you who have sought out a doctor for depression, how many of you are taking medication and how many are not? And for those not taking medication, what are the lifestyle changes made to boost your mood?

Hello! I was first diagnosed by a family doctor 7 years ago, and they switched brands 5 years ago. 2 weeks ago we switched to one that focused more on the anxiety side on the drug spectrum. Medicine has been a life changer. Especially this last one. Instead of being too blah to do anything all day, I'm addicted to keep moving. Honest night and day change. Also, I've been wanting to lower my dosage of medicine to the lowest possible (or get completely off them).. so I work out every day. I drink a lot of water. I only drink 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups coffee, no extra sugar, eat clean, and laugh a lot. All these things, along with the new switch in medicine, has given me so much joy, happiness, and energy.
  • dubird
    Options

I'm taking Wellbutrin. We tried other things, including getting my B12 levels up where they should be (i can't seem to absorb it well through my digestive system for some reason). After several months, my doctor suggested I try meds, and it made a HUGE difference for me. I honestly wouldn't suggest it as the go-to first thing a person tries, but if meds are needed to bring everything back into balence, there's no shame in taking them.
  • BestWishesForYou
    BestWishesForYou Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I came over to share some advice but I have gotten better than I could give. :-) Treehopper, it can be hard to heed that advice when you are feeling very low and helpless. Don't feel pressured to do something right now this very minute instantly. That can feel overwhelming. But take some rest, mull over these excellent posts, and begin to plan one step at a time.

I've been battling this same condition for decades. Over the years I have had some horrible doctors. Some doctors don't take a patient seriously. Some of them particularly don't take women seriously – – and that's true of both male and female doctors, and in the fields of general practice, psychiatry, and OB/GYN. Some don't want to bother if your insurance is not excellent.

But there are great doctors out there, too. Caring, attentive, brilliant doctors. That's what you deserve. (When you search for each one, do give them the benefit of more than a couple visits.) I'm glad to say that I have been in the care of some wonderful professionals and have been managing very well for years.

You are taking care of so many things. Your many hours working for other people and your many hours taking care of your child, not to mention other people in your life. It sounds as if there is no more room in your life for YOU. You have to assert that you need help from others.

That might even mean changing jobs eventually. It sounds like it is taking too much out of you. Even if the pay is great, it may come at too steep of a cost.

The advice of others on this thread is so wonderful. I'm going to print it out for myself. I hope that all of it helps to make changes for you.

<3

• BestWishesForYou
    BestWishesForYou Posts: 34 Member
    Options

I have run the gamut of medications over the years, but for the past few years I have needed very little medication.

I came off all meds during my pregnancy. What should have felt wonderful instead sometimes felt very desperate, but I'm glad that I was able to get through it for my baby's sake.

There was a time early on when the meds did what many people fear about them: I felt numb, flat, emotionless. This was not due to taking medication, however; it was due to taking the wrong dosage. When that was tweaked a bit, the benefits were enormous.