Eating more to lose weight?

Options
trinty425
trinty425 Posts: 108 Member
I recently found out that I am pre-diabetic and am currently in a diabetes prevention program. I started tracking what I eat (not a newbie to this at all), in great detail...even using a food scale. On average, without making any changes to my normal diet and eating habits, I was naturally eating 1300-1600 calories a day without ever feeling hungry.

My program wants me to eat 1850 calories a day (while still staying within reason of fat, carbs, and sodium caps). First I find it crazy to want me to eat so much more...to lose weight?! Secondly, I've been trying my best to eat that many calories and it is actually hard for me. I am feeling bloated, uncomfortable, overfull almost all day. Some days I barely move around (just doing basic house chores) and I will start feeling nauseous. I am generally not feeling well trying eat so much each day. And it seems counter-productive because if I am feeling nauseous and bloated then I am not going to try working out and being more physically active.

Anyone have experience with this? Will the bloating, uncomfortable, nauseous thing go away after some time? Or should I talk with my program people and see about not pushing myself to eat so much?

-thanks

Replies

• crescentgaia
    crescentgaia Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Talk with your program people. It's possible that's a starting guide and they can change it if you tell them. Note the important part: if you tell them. Besides, they could also look with you and see what you're eating on the days you eat more towards 1850 and why you feel bloated / nauseated.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I feel like you should look into WHAT you're eating if HOW MUCH you're eating doesn't make sense. Like, pre celiac diagnosis, I could eat toast and butter and be so unwell all day and not want anything else. Now, I eat eat eat eat but it's more satiating and healthier for me. Not saying that it's gluten related for you, but possibly the WHAT you're consuming. Similar experience with lactose too.

Start logging and trust the program - assuming it was designed by medical professionals.
  • trinty425
    Options
    It is a medical program, but a generalized group program. After the 12 weeks you then (if needed) go on with a personal dietician. I feel over-full when I eat over 1600-ish calories. I vary what I eat each day to keep from becoming bored with my food. So, I don't eat a lot of just 1 kind of thing. And what I have been eating is the same things I've been eating in the past without any issues. I really just think that my stomach / body is not used to eating so much. It's the same feeling you get when you stuff yourself at say a holiday meal.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    This doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
    1. I don't see how eating an additional 250 calories per day (1600 to 1850) could make you feel bloated, sick & nauseous.
    2. If you routinely eat 1300/1600 cal per day, why do you need to lose weight?
  • trinty425
    Options
    1) Most days I average 1300-1450 calories. Usually my 1600 ish calorie days are when I splurged and went out to eat somewhere. So, on my daily normal average it's more like 400-500 more calories a day.

2) Since I had my 2nd son 10 years ago, I have not been able to lose weight regardless of what I've done. In the past I have seen dieticians and been on programs because of being very overweight. The reason I am in this current program to lose weight is because I recently diagnosed with prediabetes...and the program is a diabetes prevention program. Apparently my "coach" thinks I may not be eating enough calories each day and is why she is telling me to aim for 1800-1900 calories instead. Even though she hasn't looked at my "what I am eating specifically" food logs.

To meet my calorie amount that my "coach" wants me to get to...I am actually having to cut out hot tea (no sugar or anything) and fresh veggies because they make me fill full and have no or almost none calories. I am also drinking less water throughout the day because again, I am just really full and I have to make room to eat the extra food.

I've been doing this for almost a week a now...no changes as far as weight goes, and still feeling uncomfortably full all the time. I even wake up in the mornings now still feeling kinda full.
  • libarra1977
    libarra1977 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know what program you are with but when my dad was diagnosed with prediabetes he received a book that gave him a list of foods that he should be aiming to eat. The list really helped him. Maybe get a list from the program you're with. I know my dad started incorporating nuts into his diet - a small amount has a higher calorie count so perhaps that could be an option for you.
  • kjflaherty
    kjflaherty Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This might sound rude, but bear with me. You are in denial. Either intentionally or unintentionally, or you have a severe metabolic problem that is undiagnosed. If you are a normal height and overweight or obese, you are not gaining or maintaining on 1600 cal./day. I am 5'2" 128lbs and would still lose weight if I managed to stay at 1600 calories. Working with a dietitian might shed some light on this for you.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    trinty425 wrote: »
    1) Most days I average 1300-1450 calories. Usually my 1600 ish calorie days are when I splurged and went out to eat somewhere. So, on my daily normal average it's more like 400-500 more calories a day.

2) Since I had my 2nd son 10 years ago, I have not been able to lose weight regardless of what I've done. In the past I have seen dieticians and been on programs because of being very overweight. The reason I am in this current program to lose weight is because I recently diagnosed with prediabetes...and the program is a diabetes prevention program. Apparently my "coach" thinks I may not be eating enough calories each day and is why she is telling me to aim for 1800-1900 calories instead. Even though she hasn't looked at my "what I am eating specifically" food logs.

To meet my calorie amount that my "coach" wants me to get to...I am actually having to cut out hot tea (no sugar or anything) and fresh veggies because they make me fill full and have no or almost none calories. I am also drinking less water throughout the day because again, I am just really full and I have to make room to eat the extra food.

I've been doing this for almost a week a now...no changes as far as weight goes, and still feeling uncomfortably full all the time. I even wake up in the mornings now still feeling kinda full.

Diabetes (pre or otherwise) won't fix this.

Unless you have some kind of genuine medical condition which makes it difficult (but not impossible) to lose weight then I'm not sure how you could have got to be "very overweight" without eating way more than you need to.

I think what's happening is one of two things: 1) that all of a sudden you're eating much more nutritionally sound foods (like veggies, high protein foods) which are much more satiating than previous food choices were. These are more bang for your buck foods. 2) You're eating a little more than you think you are. How do you weigh your foods . . . like all solids go on a scale, liquid in cups? If you're genuinely eating less than your burn every day (short of some sort of special snowflake condition) you will lose weight, diabetes aside.

With diabetes, as someone mentioned, it's a lot more about which foods you're choosing in conjunction with how much you're consuming . . . whereas strictly weight loss is about consuming less than you burn each day.
  • trinty425
    Options
    5 years ago my dietician who I saw weekly for a year thought I had a medical issue because I did everything right. She even went to the store with me and came to my house unannounced to verify and saw me sweaty at the gym everyday. I was convinced that there must be something going on (before the birth of my 2nd son I could easily lose weight without much effort). But I could not get any doctors to run tests....(we're military so we are told who we see)

We recently moved and the new doctor I have here ran a bunch of blood work, thyroid, metabolic panel, etc. and according to the tests she ran I should be able to lose weight like a normal person. There seems to be nothing wrong.

A large amount of my weight gain was from my pregnancy with my 2nd child. I was not concerned with the weight gain, because I assumed I would be able to lose it afterwards like I did with my first child. This was not the case.

With trying to eat the 1800 calories that my program person wants me to eat... I am actually feeling like I am eating less healthy. I have cut a chunk of my fresh vegetables from my diet because they are filling me up and have almost no calories. I have generally the last couple of years worked on cutting out sugar and eating more veggies and protein. So I am not all of a sudden eating healthier...I am actually eating less healthy to meet the calorie amounts.

I do weigh and track every thing I eat and drink. I don't even "try a bite or drink" from someone else because of the hassle that would be to figure out the log info. I have a digital food scale and various cups that I use to measure and weigh my food. I am very precise in my measurements. If anything, I am slightly under what I log for my intake.

I have been very detailed tracking what I am eating and my calorie burn (I also use a fitbit watch and scale and do body measurements) starting the 1st of February. This last week I have been working on upping my calorie count. I watch and keep my fats, sodium, sugars, and carbs in the green (or very close). I plan my food out each morning for the day and adjust to try to keep everything in the green while trying to get as close to the 1800 calories the program lady wants me to eat.

That being said...every morning after using the restroom I weigh myself and no change. It is always 258-259. Body fat and body measurements are also still the same.

Also, my weight has slightly increased over the last 10 years since I had my 2nd child, but only a couple of pounds each year. For about 2 years after spending 5 years of really hardcore workouts and dieting and nutritionist..with no positive results I just quit. I stopped working out and ate whatever I wanted. I really should have packed on a lot of weight then....and did not. Same yearly gain as I did when I was strictly dieting and exercising.

I know it sounds like bs or denial or I have something physically wrong that is messing with me. But according to the bloodwork....there isn't.

On average I burn 2500 to 3000 calories a day.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    5 years ago my dietician who I saw weekly for a year thought I had a medical issue because I did everything right. She even went to the store with me and came to my house unannounced to verify and saw me sweaty at the gym everyday. I was convinced that there must be something going on (before the birth of my 2nd son I could easily lose weight without much effort). But I could not get any doctors to run tests....(we're military so we are told who we see)

We recently moved and the new doctor I have here ran a bunch of blood work, thyroid, metabolic panel, etc. and according to the tests she ran I should be able to lose weight like a normal person. There seems to be nothing wrong.

A large amount of my weight gain was from my pregnancy with my 2nd child. I was not concerned with the weight gain, because I assumed I would be able to lose it afterwards like I did with my first child. This was not the case.

With trying to eat the 1800 calories that my program person wants me to eat... I am actually feeling like I am eating less healthy. I have cut a chunk of my fresh vegetables from my diet because they are filling me up and have almost no calories. I have generally the last couple of years worked on cutting out sugar and eating more veggies and protein. So I am not all of a sudden eating healthier...I am actually eating less healthy to meet the calorie amounts.

I do weigh and track every thing I eat and drink. I don't even "try a bite or drink" from someone else because of the hassle that would be to figure out the log info. I have a digital food scale and various cups that I use to measure and weigh my food. I am very precise in my measurements. If anything, I am slightly under what I log for my intake.

I have been very detailed tracking what I am eating and my calorie burn (I also use a fitbit watch and scale and do body measurements) starting the 1st of February. This last week I have been working on upping my calorie count. I watch and keep my fats, sodium, sugars, and carbs in the green (or very close). I plan my food out each morning for the day and adjust to try to keep everything in the green while trying to get as close to the 1800 calories the program lady wants me to eat.

That being said...every morning after using the restroom I weigh myself and no change. It is always 258-259. Body fat and body measurements are also still the same.

Also, my weight has slightly increased over the last 10 years since I had my 2nd child, but only a couple of pounds each year. For about 2 years after spending 5 years of really hardcore workouts and dieting and nutritionist..with no positive results I just quit. I stopped working out and ate whatever I wanted. I really should have packed on a lot of weight then....and did not. Same yearly gain as I did when I was strictly dieting and exercising.

I know it sounds like bs or denial or I have something physically wrong that is messing with me. But according to the bloodwork....there isn't.

On average I burn 2500 to 3000 calories a day.

Well then I guess you're just that special snowflake.

Sorry but if this is legit then you should be studied as a rare speciman of a human being because if you eat less than you burn you will lose weight, that's just how it works. If you have a medical/metabolic condition it might make it harder, but not impossible to lose.

And if you don't have any medical/metabolic issues going on then, as someone else said, you're in denial either consciously or subconsciously. This just does not happen.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I truly think you need to talk with your doctor or medical team again. 1800 calories could be a starting point for you, it could possibly be adjusted. You have to remember its about keeping your blood sugar more stable so you have to eat regularly, which is probably why your target is a little higher than you normally eat. Also, you mentioned having to cut out fresh vegetables. That doesn't make sense to me because as a prediabetic, most veggies should be on your ok list, especially the leafy green ones. Don't worry about the weight so much, that will come as you get your numbers balanced out and your body adjust to your new eating plan. Also, you don't mention how old you are but women in their late 30s to early 40s hit that premenopause thing and it can wreck havoc on your system, particularly if you have been carrying extra weight throughout your 30s. The hormone changes of premenopause can affect your ability to lose weight.

Remember, you are your own best advocate. Keep asking them questions, learn everything you can and don't take no for an answer if it doesn't feel right to you or if it doesn't help after giving it a good trial run. Good luck!
  • trinty425
    Options
    I cut the fresh veggies because they are very filling for me and have little to no calories in them. Which when I am having trouble meeting the 1800 calorie mark that my program person told me to eat because I am so full all the time I can't "fill up" on stuff that doesn't help me reach my marks.

I am 33 now, but have not been able to lose weight since I was 23 (after I had my 2nd and last child).

And yes, I think I am a "special" case. I have been burning more calories than I have been eating for literally YEARS without any weight loss. I really didn't post this to hear negative comments on how I must be in denial whether consciously or not. The point of this post was about anyone having been told to eat a considerable more amount of calories then they have been to lose weight and had success. And if they had did they have issues with it. This was my first post on MFP and it honestly might be my last due to the off topic and negative comments.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your TDEE, the 2500-3000? Do you have a Fitbit or HRM for workouts?

For food, are you okay to eat higher fat foods, like avocados, nuts, seeds, full fat milk, etc., and use cooking oils?

Yes, it comes across as mean, but when many people ask why they aren't losing and throw out numbers with "about" or "around", there's something off in either logging food or workouts or both.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I understand... I've had situations (albeit for months, not years) where I just couldn't lose weight no matter what. The things that worked for me were not always clear. Once, the weight I should have lost over 5-6 months (and it just wouldn't come off) suddenly dropped over a few days time. Another time, I was able to force weight loss by eating less than 5g net carbs daily for a 10 days (I ate only protein powder, weighed to the gram so I knew that 1 scoop was the right number of grams, and vitamins/supplements). My situation was different, so I'm not sure it fits your case, but I understand the frustration (though in months, not years).

I've considered getting some diagnostic criteria like BodPod. If this had gone on for years, I definitely would be signing up for that to get a more clear TDEE calculation. You might look into that.
  • trinty425
    Options
    For my calorie burn each day and exercises I use a fitbit watch and the aria scale. I use a digital scale and measuring cups to measure my food very closely. I never estimate anything.

I have a calorie amount I must eat (1800), and max caps on fat, sodium, carbs, and sugar.

At the end of the 12 week diabetes prevention program I am in...they will do BodPod and assign individual visits with a dietician.
  • LittlePikinini
    LittlePikinini Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You don't need to be hungry , just reach out for something healthy. A loooot of vegetables that you may not even be able to eat that many , have the same calories as one tinny burger and vegs have hardly any fat.
    Eat every 3-4 hours a day. If you are awake all day , Breakfast (9 am) lunch (12pm) Dinner (14pm) Afternoon lunch (17pm) then supper (21pm) then sleep , if you are going to snack between meals reach for a fruit or low calorie snack
  • trinty425
    Options
    I just had my 1 month BodPod / follow up. I was feeling kinda bad because I had gained 6 lbs this last month, but that 6 lbs was ALL muscle!! This last month I also felt better, better mood, slept better, and had more energy! And this...from eating 2500 calories a day....now he wants me to increase food to 2900 calories a day and start to increase my exercise in time and intensity. He said once I finally get enough muscle the body fat and weight will start coming off. He said the fact that I gained so much muscle in just the first month is a big sign of how starved my body was!

I still feel astonished at this idea of EAT more to lose more. My brain is just so stuck on the "eat less workout more" / calories in vs calories out mantra I've been told for the last 10 years.....but the numbers are in...and it seems to be working!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You gained 6 lbs of muscle in a month?!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I just had my 1 month BodPod / follow up. I was feeling kinda bad because I had gained 6 lbs this last month, but that 6 lbs was ALL muscle!! This last month I also felt better, better mood, slept better, and had more energy! And this...from eating 2500 calories a day....now he wants me to increase food to 2900 calories a day and start to increase my exercise in time and intensity. He said once I finally get enough muscle the body fat and weight will start coming off. He said the fact that I gained so much muscle in just the first month is a big sign of how starved my body was!

I still feel astonished at this idea of EAT more to lose more. My brain is just so stuck on the "eat less workout more" / calories in vs calories out mantra I've been told for the last 10 years.....but the numbers are in...and it seems to be working!

Congratulations! That is a major accomplishment.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    This was my first post on MFP and it honestly might be my last due to the off topic and negative comments.

All I can say to the comment I quoted is that you have made 105 posts since you became a member in February. ...