-carb+fat OR +carb-fat

Options
I am just wondering which option is the healthiest. I am confused as to which has the BEST weight loss result. (If I had to choose one option not both)
1-low carbs high fat
2-high carbs low fat

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It's all about being in a deficit and how you get there is up to you. 1 or 2
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    It's just about the deficit. Those two options are just two different preferences on how to achieve the deficit.

1 - People who feel overly-dependent on sweets, have diabetes, PCOS, or other health problems go LCHF because they say it helps them level out their blood glucose and eliminate cravings for sweet things.

2 - People who like to enjoy fruit and sweets (in moderation) will sometimes opt for HCLF (though they usually choose moderate levels of both). In my case, I have to eat low fat because I lack a gallbladder. To supplement a lower fat intake, I eat a balance of more protein and carbs.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Low carbs - hands down. Try 20/20/60.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    How about moderate carbs, fat, and protein? Why the need for extremes?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    About 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat is quite healthy for most people.
  • 25brittany25
    25brittany25 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Well I am just concerned because it seems like I am having a high fat and high carb diet right now . I am eating all of the right things although I do not know if they might be slowing my weight loss process down because I am eating so much of both.. I would like to know which option people see the most success.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit
  • 25brittany25
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    About 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat is quite healthy for most people.

Oh perfect ok .. thank you
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Adding more protein isn't really going to give you faster weight loss success, but for health, it would definitely be a good idea. Whenever we eat at a deficit, it becomes very difficult to hang on to Lean Body Mass (LBM), and some of the weight you lose might even come from a loss of LBM if you've been eating on a deficit for a while. Protein helps your body hold on to LBM - and can aid in muscle repair after exercise.

So, while it won't make much of a difference on the scale, it might be a good idea to increase that macro a bit (depending on how much you're eating now).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Well I am just concerned because it seems like I am having a high fat and high carb diet right now . I am eating all of the right things although I do not know if they might be slowing my weight loss process down because I am eating so much of both.. I would like to know which option people see the most success.

If you are eating too many calories that would slow your weight loss process. High carbs and fat would tend to mean too little protein, which can be a problem for health (depending on how low you mean), body composition (eating more protein tends to have better results for muscle maintenance, although you also should exercise, of course), and satiety (for many people). It's common to feel more sated with fewer calories if you get a reasonable amount of protein.
  • Littlemissweber
    Littlemissweber Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Try eating high fibre foods... the calories are tied up in the fibre so they make you full but aren't absorbed.

Figs, raspberries, almonds, beans, pulses etc.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You don't have to choose between low carb and low fat to lose weight; none of them makes you lose more - you need a calorie deficit to lose weight, and a moderate approach is just fine for most people.

Do you know how percentage works? If you take more of one part while keeping the total the same, the other part(s) will have to decrease. You can't be eating high fat+high carb. First, find the right amount of calories for you. It should be between your TDEE and your BMR. Then decide macro split. You need enough protein and fat, base that on your lean body mass, regard those as a minimum, and fill up with carbs. This calculator is great for working out calories and macros, and you can see how the other numbers are affected when you change one: http://www.muscleforlife.com/macronutrient-calculator/
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the forum so this post may not be the best way to introduce myself, but here goes anyway.

I know I'll be in the minority, but I prefer a low carb, reasonable fat diet with the remainder in protein.

I've been overweight most of my life and while I've had the most success following Atkins, I found it difficult to sustain the diet and when I binged, I really binged. :(

Since mid-last year I went back to low carb, but did it a little differently. My goal was to get into trace ketosis and maintain that level. In times past the more purple the more better, but you deprive yourself of so much you enjoy that it's impossible to keep doing. For exercise I have a rebounder and some resistance bands.

In November I broke 2 ribs and slipped out of ketosis and have basically stayed there until just a couple of days ago. While I had lost a few pounds gained during the reduction in exercise but maintaining a mostly calorie deficit diet, there hadn't been any earth-shattering weight loss. From June to September I dropped about 40 lbs staying in light ketosis.

My calorie percentage is 15-20% carbs to maintain trace ketosis, 45 - 50% protein and 35% fat. With that much protein, make sure you're doing strength training to build/tone muscle. The cool part is the more you exercise, the more you can bump up the carbs. I try to stick to low glycemic carbs as much as possible.

Because I've done this probably longer than at any time in my life, my taste for sweets has declined. I make my own trail mix and keep reducing the chocolate every couple of batches because I just don't want that much.

Last October I did a Dexa scan and it reported a decent amount of lean body mass. I'm looking forward to going back when I'm another 10 lbs lighter and see how well that translated.

For those worried that a low carb diet messes with your blood work, I've traditionally had high liver enzymes and decent cholesterol. My liver enzymes have been normal and the cholesterol has been even better. Again, your mileage may vary. If you have a wheat allergy, that type of diet is a good fit.

Whatever you decide to try, best of luck you to. There is no one size fits all.
  • 25brittany25
    Options
    cdebracy wrote: »
    I'm new to the forum so this post may not be the best way to introduce myself, but here goes anyway.

I know I'll be in the minority, but I prefer a low carb, reasonable fat diet with the remainder in protein.

I've been overweight most of my life and while I've had the most success following Atkins, I found it difficult to sustain the diet and when I binged, I really binged. :(

Since mid-last year I went back to low carb, but did it a little differently. My goal was to get into trace ketosis and maintain that level. In times past the more purple the more better, but you deprive yourself of so much you enjoy that it's impossible to keep doing. For exercise I have a rebounder and some resistance bands.

In November I broke 2 ribs and slipped out of ketosis and have basically stayed there until just a couple of days ago. While I had lost a few pounds gained during the reduction in exercise but maintaining a mostly calorie deficit diet, there hadn't been any earth-shattering weight loss. From June to September I dropped about 40 lbs staying in light ketosis.

My calorie percentage is 15-20% carbs to maintain trace ketosis, 45 - 50% protein and 35% fat. With that much protein, make sure you're doing strength training to build/tone muscle. The cool part is the more you exercise, the more you can bump up the carbs. I try to stick to low glycemic carbs as much as possible.

Because I've done this probably longer than at any time in my life, my taste for sweets has declined. I make my own trail mix and keep reducing the chocolate every couple of batches because I just don't want that much.

Last October I did a Dexa scan and it reported a decent amount of lean body mass. I'm looking forward to going back when I'm another 10 lbs lighter and see how well that translated.

For those worried that a low carb diet messes with your blood work, I've traditionally had high liver enzymes and decent cholesterol. My liver enzymes have been normal and the cholesterol has been even better. Again, your mileage may vary. If you have a wheat allergy, that type of diet is a good fit.

Whatever you decide to try, best of luck you to. There is no one size fits all.

Thank you for sharing that
    . I feel as though I can relate into transitioning into ketosis. Although I went on vacation this last week and I started eating ALOT of carbs and it has caused me to get EXTREME sugar and bread cravings.. so now I am hoping I can detox the junk food out of my system but it's hard .. I am going to stick to plenty of Fruits and veggies and protein. hopefully that will curve my cravings and I can get back to eating clean . For me, cheat meals do not work because I have an addiction with junk food. I need to eliminate it all together because the cravings go away if I do. But once I get a taste of it my body goes crazy.. I just want to be the healthiest I have ever been :smiley: