Stuck behind a desk all day...

Options
I know I can't be the only one trapped behind a desk from 8a-5p every day during the week! Does anyone have any tips on staying active while at the desk? Not going to lie, I thought about bringing a thighmaster I found at a garage sale in and leaving it under my desk.. but my HR person just laughed and said that probably wasn't the most professional thing she'd ever seen.

So desk dwellers, how do we stay moving and energized during the day... especially when 3pm hits and all I want to do is sleep?

Replies

• poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Walk on your lunch break, take the stairs all the time, park the farthest you can from the office everyday.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i drink lots of water so i have to go for a walk :embarassed: , (our loo's are down stairs) never ring anybody in the office walk through and ask...
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I make sure I have healthy snacks in my desk to avoid eating whatever is in the break room! I also do air squats each time I go to the ladies room and often do lunges down the back hall. Drinking lots of water during the day causes me to have to visit the ladies room and therefore I end up doing more air squats than normal.

I work on the 9th floor and I take the stairs up and down as well as park in the furthest spot away in the parking garage. Walking during lunch when the weather is tolerable is really nice as well.

Planning exercise into your day (before or after work) is really the best way to get in a legit work out, but if you cant just try to be active at least 30 minutes in the day.

Good luck!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I try to get up and walk around every hour or so, use the bathroom, refill my water bottle, etc.

However, the biggest boost in energy that I got was just by working out on a daily basis. I workout after work, but I felt so much more energized in general and didn't feel exhausted all the time. As I lost more weight, it only improved. Now I never really feel exhausted at my desk and I have energy all day. I only have 1 cup of coffee in the morning too. I also be sure to get at least 7 hours of sleep, usually closer to 8, that way I'm not tired from that.
  • deb_rn
    deb_rn Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My friend and I walk for 40 minutes at lunch almost every day! Then, I try to coerce my hubby into walking again with me in the evening, at least for 30 minutes.
  • mandygal13
    mandygal13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It is hard, sometimes. Especially when I've been told in the past to make my trips away from my desk productive - i.e., don't get up for every copy, but wait and make efficient use of the time. I think it's better for us to get more times during the day. Go to the copier, fax, postage machine, etc. throughout the day.

I will also stand up and stretch sometimes. If you can't do it at your desk, go the bathroom and at least stretch your back and hamstrings. That helps me anyway!
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    who is going to know that you are doing a thiighmaster under your desk??

i've heard of people sitting on those big workout balls instead of their desk chairs you'll be working your core all day./
  • sushisuzi2
    sushisuzi2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4:40 am. I sit behind the wheel commuting until 6:30. I sit behind a computer until 5:30 pm, then commute home until 7:30 pm.

So 14 hours a day, I am SITTING, except for when I have to use the ladies room or run to the other part of the office, and those are stairs, so I go up and down a LOT.

SUCKS. But in this economy, thankful to have a good job.
  • osmoticferocity
    Options
    We've got a gym at the office that a lot of people use on their lunch break. I don't have time for such things, as I can't take a long lunch because of my position, so I just try to walk as much possible. I try to see people in person instead of email when practical, volunteer for those tasks that require someone to leave the desk, etc.

Good luck!
  • vicky_1234
    Options
    Take a walk on your lunch hour, use the stairs, offer to make the tea all the time!
  • jcbernahl
    jcbernahl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I work 6-3:30 behind a desk all day. My office is in the basement but I never take the elevator. I pretend the elevator is always broken (and it's literally right outside my office) and opt for the stairs every time. I also park out farther in the parking lot.
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I work a 8-4 job as a drafter, strict desk work unless I have to travel to do some on-site surveying. I usually make sure I have time in the evenings for myself to do workouts. It also helps me to also eat my lunch around 12 everyday, and then I usually have a banana at 2 or so to keep myself from eating any snacks that might be bad for me, because it's so tempting!
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    Drink water, then you have to go for a walk. Have good protein for breakfast and lunch to help w/the late afternoon crash. I use to do 10 squats every time I went to the restroom.
  • coleyco30
    coleyco30 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do the whole park in the space furthest away and walk in. And I try to plan the most zig-zagged route for delivering interoffice mail 3 times a day so I get more steps in. And yes, the water cooler is at the opposite end of of the building so that's my other trick so far too!
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I "attempt" to take a 10-15 walk breaks in the morning/afternoon but I'm usually to busy then to break way from work. At lunchtime however I eat and then I go for a 30 min. brisk walk. Sometimes I'll eat at my desk and walk about 45 mins at lunch. I may come back all sweaty but I feel great afterwards. :bigsmile:

I get a sweet tooth at 3:30pm everyday like clock work. I usually bring a mango, strawberries or something from home to eat during that time. And I drink water all day.

Oh I also take the stairs up and down within floors (3 floors) - every little bit counts and adds up. :wink:
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    Initially it was hard for me, but I started walking to the corner Walgreen's (about 3 blocks away) when I had a break, and walking at lunch. My job may allow for more flexibility than yours, but EVERY chance I got I would walk somewhere, even if just around the office building. The great part about having an office job is that you probably have your lifestyle set to sedentary, so you can log EVERYTHING as exercise. It's very motivating. It also got addictive after a week or so, and I found new ways and new reasons to get out and walk. Good luck, you'll find what works for you.
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    Drink lots of water....the benefits here are obvious, but the side benefit is that you'll have to get up to go to the restroom frequently...so you'll get some walking in (try to avoid on days with many meetings) : )

Stand during conference calls

Get up and stretch a couple times an hour (not a long break...just enough to get your blood pumping a bit more)

Avoid big lunches (obviously), and keep some fruit handy for the mid afternoon snack. It's likely you are running low on carbs at that point in the day.

Try to maintain good posture, I find this keeps me a bit more awake vs. getting my slouch on....
  • pauterson
    pauterson Posts: 65
    Options
    The water thing and walking at lunch does the trick for me. I can't believe how many people sit at their desk and don't move all day. They must be incredibly dehidrated all of the time. I usually take in 3-4 liters of water per day which makes me have to get up to go to the restroom and keeps me hydrated for my afternoon workouts.

Healthy snacks with a pocket scale work for me. I put a private calendar event that reoccurs every 2-3 hrs. Then I pull out my snacks ie: almonds, nuts, jerky, fruit and weigh it out.

Good luck. :-)
  • nrov5974
    nrov5974 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i work in chicago so we walk to the lake at lunch and we also walk the stairwell 2 times a day (200 stairs each time)... at 10:30 and at 3:00. easy, free workout solution while stuck at work! :)
  • maricela1
    maricela1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    drink aloot of water, more bathroom breaks.
    walk at least 30 min at lunch after you eat.
    park far away.
    print to the farthest printer
    walk to don't call people in the office if possible.
    stretch.
    pack your own lunch.
    :)